WesternU vs. MCPHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caneyes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!:)

I need your help! I'm having a hard time deciding between Western and MCPHS and I would love to know your opinions on both schools. I'm originally from the west coast of Canada and I've always dreamed of getting into a school in California since it's a little closer to home(but never thought I'd be able to get in!) However, I received a generous scholarship with MCPHS and have had THE BEST experiences with the staff and faculty from the school, which makes the decision even more difficult for me.

Please let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

I need your help! I'm having a hard time deciding between Western and MCPHS and I would love to know your opinions on both schools. I'm originally from the west coast of Canada and I've always dreamed of getting into a school in California since it's a little closer to home(but never thought I'd be able to get in!) However, I received a generous scholarship with MCPHS and have had THE BEST experiences with the staff and faculty from the school, which makes the decision even more difficult for me.

I would say MCPHS due to the scholarship. Optometry school is only a few years - do whatever you can to maximize your earning potential for the future, which includes cutting down on the debt.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not go to MCPHS. Ask them how many first year optometry students fail anatomy and how many have each fall over the last five years. You then have to wait a full year to check me back and the other schools who once accepted you will no longer consider you. Seriously, don’t do it. You may think you can muscle through it but a lot do not. Try 1/3 of class failing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not go to MCPHS. Ask them how many first year optometry students fail anatomy and how many have each fall over the last five years. You then have to wait a full year to check me back and the other schools who once accepted you will no longer consider you. Seriously, don’t do it. You may think you can muscle through it but a lot do not. Try 1/3 of class failing.
You can see exactly how many get held back w real numbers and not anecdote from ASCO.

Ultimately, it depends on what you value more: going to a school in California or paying less for school. Good luck with either decision you make!

I am in the exact same situation as you right now! I have been seeing so many negative things online about MCPHS, but I honestly had such a great experience with the faculty and it seems like a great school. Would love to hear what your decision was and why :)