WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mig2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey where are all you guys living? I'll be moving into woodview July 1st.

mig

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't even begun looking yet. What is your place like? Any suggestions on where to begin looking? I called some of the places on the list Western sent me, but I thought they were all kind of pricey.

Im spending $720/mnt, but its a really nice looking place. But you're right, it is pricey.

mig

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm paying $780/mnt for a 2 bed apt in a gated area near Diamond Bar. Miglo, are you going to the getting ready weekend?

I sent my $75 but have NOT received anything yet (tickets, schedule, etc).

mig

hi guys,

got the packet from student affairs today- mostly orientation/registration information, plus tuition/laptop fee memo, and campus commotion; but no get ready weekend info.

did you know that we don't get to keep the laptop after 4 years? "At the conclusion of the four-year lease, a competitive buy-out plan will be available." you would think 5 grand would get you the laptop, but...

i guess i'll meet you guys on july 28th for BCLS(basic cardiac life support) training, and the get ready weekend.

I hope the school will provide us handheld computer in 3rd and 4th years for clinical use. Many physicians are implementing handheld computers like Palm and Handspring or Windows CE from Microsoft in hospital setting to record patient's charts. That would be cool. Besides, the fee for a handheld computer will sure be much less than for a laptop.

I preordered my iPAQ pocketpc machine. Can't wait to play with it. Hopefully I can put some sort flashcard program, or write my own, and study "on the road"
smile.gif

mig

hi all,

I'm a local and waiting for my secondaries to western u... How long does it take them to start interviewing? When do they start admitting people oct, nov, dec? I dont care what their website says about this, I want to hear it from my upperclassmen.
smile.gif

I believe WesternU starts interviewing around mid September and they do send out acceptance letter one week after the interview. The earlier in the cycle, the better chance you have as a common rule for most medical schools nowaday. good luck

I was there the first day they interview and if i remember correctly, its mid-sep.

mig

adismo,

If you apply early decision, and receive interview invitation, it will likely be early Sept. But for regular applicants, it usually starts mid/end of Sept.

I received my interview invite in early Nov. and was notified of acceptance a couple days after.

Yeah, I'm also a local rez. E-mail me if you have any other questions.

hi everyone!

I'll be living at the El Sereno Apartments. Not a bad place considering it's in Pomona (actually, on the border of Claremont and Pomona).

I won't be at the retreat however. I decided that it does sound like fun, but i think i started becoming less interested when i read that there will be workshops about the med school life, curriculum, etc. i think a whole week of orientation is enough for me. Instead, i think i'll be at magic mountain that weekend.

did you guys get that packet. i swear, what can you possibly talk about at orientation from 8am-5pm? blech. guess i'll have to drive up for that basic life support class and drive back to san diego to spend my last weekend with my girlfriend. Hey mig, remember that whole "how's it going to work with my SO" discussion we had at our interview? i get out of that relationship and then silly me, get into another one 4 months before i start med school.
smile.gif

Arnold
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
http://members.xoom.com/omasucsd/logo.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
REALLY!? HAHAHHAHAHA!!

See ya at orientation buddy.

mig

Moon,

Is your place a 2Br/2Ba? if it is, you got a sweet deal.

Arnold

Arnold,

I think you'll like living at El Sereno. I moved in there at around March of this year and it is nice, lots of young people live there. A lot of Western U, particularly DO students live there. I'm going to be in your class, but I am one of the 5-year DO program people. You guys are going to have a lot of fun this year, but will be working harder than you ever have in your life. Good luck, all! Hey DJ, are you enjoying the summer? Hope you liked attending those lectures, they were pretty boring weren't they.....

EDGAR

Hey Edgar,

E-mail me your new e-mail and ph #. I tried both but to no avail.

later

Hello, everyone!

I will also be living at the El Sereno apts. It's more expensive than I hoped it would be, but I liked the place. Also, it's very close to the school. I think those of you who are still looking should check it out (Towne/Bonita).

As for the getting ready weekend, I haven't received any specific information either. I guess we'll have to wait.

Do you guys know how many people will be in our class?

Hello COMPers,

Welcome to the grind! El Soreno is a great apt & a lot of WesternU students currently live there. I believe you will all have ~176 students in the entering class with about 10+ in the 5th year plan, so expect a FULL class coming august. There is also a great apt just next to the school (walking distance) & a lot of students live there as well.

My 1st rotation (Radiology) is going great. E-mail me at [email protected] if you have specifics...glad to help if I can!! Enjoy you summer y'all!!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-01-2000).]

Hey COMPadres,
I'm local (San Bernardino area) and will be commuting out to Western daily. It may suck, I know, but I have a family, so it is best for them to stay where we are. I think my wife and I will be at the getting to know you weekend- we're looking forward to getting the run-down from the second years and meeting some of my classmates. As for interview info- I also interviewed in mid-Sept. and had my acceptance a week later. I was overjoyed to get it so early because I knew I wanted to go to Western. I don't envy those who weren't sure but had to lay down 1k to hold a seat-bummer. Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all soon.
Adios

Rob,

I think you're tha man to ask about this. What's up with the 50% requrement of rotations? My flyer says that 50% have to be with ost med docs; my question then is how do you go about scheduling your rotations and isnt that done via the school? Im applying for 2001, but i guess it's never to soon to ask.

[This message has been edited by adismo (edited 07-03-2000).]

Adismo,

Each class is different, so its hard to know if the process on how my class selected rotations will be the same for you when your time comes. Anyhow, here is the scoop:

COMP will provide you with a thick packet with numerous affiliated facilities & preceptors from all over the country mid 2nd year. There are many to choose from so don't worry about variety. My 3rd year was formatted where you have to choose of a 5 month rotation-block (mixture of IM, FP, OB, Surg, etc.) at one facility. The rest of the individual rotations are scheduled by you.
When 4th year roles around, you can schedule all 11 rotations individually. So, I am currently doing Radiology at one hospital, peds at another, IM at another & then the next 5 months I will be at ONE facility doing 5 different rotations. COMP schedules everything for you! You just have to give them your selection!

I am not too clear about what you are referring to concerning the 50% requirement, but I don't think it should be that big of a deal. When you select rotations, there is a huge difference between a hospital-based rotation VS an office-based rotation. This should be your biggest concern b/c the caliber & demands on you as a 3rd year between the two are huge.

I chose to select my entire 3rd year all as hospital rotations. So, don't worry too much about whether you're being trained with either osteo doc or allopathic docs, but worry more about facility & how much the house staff wants to teach you....that is key! You don't just want to be a shadow, but an active participant. By the way, most of your preceptors will most likely be MDs, so again don't fret! Hope this helps & good luck!
biggrin.gif

Rob
MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-03-2000).]

I JUST FOUND OUT I GOT INTO WESTERN. I am ECSTATIC, but at the same time a bit flustered; because with only a few weeks to go, not only do I have to get ready for school, find an apartment, but I have to go back to the east coast to finish my master's thesis, move-out, I guess I just don't know where to start...
I would appreciate any advice from someone that was in a similar situation as me.
But, I am EXCITED! I can now realize my dream of becoming a doctor!

SB: Welcome to WUCOMP!!

Miglo:
Thank You for your reply and I am looking forward to meeting all you guys.
I am in a bit of rush to find a place and I wanted to know what are some of the better places to look at.
I have heard of Portofino and other places in Chino Hills. I saw the El Soreno apartments today (not bad). Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Hi everybody, I'm still looking for a place to live. I currently live in Santa Ana but I want to get closer to the campus. If there are any openings for a female roomate, let me know. The school only gave me a few names to contact and those are filled up. Thanx!
email me:
[email protected]

I look forward to meeting everybody!

Call student affairs (instead of admissions) and request a photocopied packet of Roomate Requests (or whatever the pack is called). Western sent out surveys a few months ago, and most students received a pack with a bunch of info on new students looking for roomies.

Just for completeness-

El Sereno is safe and a lot of people do live there without incident. However, 1 student was mugged at gunpoint by someone wearing a ski mask late at night after returning from the library last year. Remember you are in Pomona.

------------------