What a Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theun4given

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the past year and a half, all I've been thinking about is what it would be like to go into dentistry. I made the decision to apply to medical school for a lot of wrong reasons. As I got deeper and deeper into the app process, my heart fell more and more out of it. I've been observing many different dentists in my area and I am now confident that this is the right path for me. Trouble is, right now I feel very insecure. My grades were not up to snuff for medical school (thankfully) and I am not even sure if they are up to snuff for Dental (3.4 Cum, 3.2 BCPM, 3 grades of C's throughout the years in the sciences, plus I am a humanities major which I am beginning to see as a disadvantage because no med school gave a hoot about it). I know that I need to do REALLY well on my DAT, but I am unsure of how to untangle this mess of medicine I got myself into. Should I convey my transition to medicine in my essay, or should I just focus on why I think dentistry is for me. Another thing is that all my LOR were written for medical school. Would it be appropriate to go back to these prof. and ask them to modify them for dental school?

Thanks for any help out there, and if you've made the switch or were in a similar boat as me---please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry but you sound confused......I'd never choose med over dent.......16 years going.....

sorry but you sound confused......I'd never choose med over dent.......16 years going.....

????

Talk about your change briefly in your AADSAS personal statement and then go from there. Get your professors to change thier LOR's, but go have a long talk with them to cover your bases. I have info on both of these topics in my website. DMDstudent.com

Good luck with a new kind of application process...nail the DAT!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on figuring out that dental school is for you. Now, focus your personal statement on why dental school is your choice and get those letters changed. Get the DAT done soon. Your grades are fine for dental school. Make sure you get your applications in EARLY!!! That is the key to the whole process.

nail the dat and u are in for sure.