What about Air Force HPSP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LisaB

For a long time now,everyone has been telling me that Air Force is the best. Lately, everyone is talking about the army/navy. Anyone out there have any opinions on the Air Force.

Members don't see this ad.

The reason there is not much discussion about Air Force HPSP is because the deadline for AF 4 year scholarship applications for the entering class of '01 is long gone.

According to the grapevine.... Air Force is the "cushiest" job. For example, their officer indoctrination is only 4 weeks compared to the Navy's 6weeks. It seems that the Air Force only end up serving the Air Force while Navy serves both the Navy and the Marines.... There's more comparisons out there. I say, choose whatever your interested in. You can even apply to multiple Armed Forces HPSP.

I suggest doing a search with "HPSP." Later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 1st year Navy HPSP student. I worked in an OR where 2 ortho docs did HPSP through the Air Force. They really liked it! One was a flight surgeon for some time and then got out. The other is still in the reserves.

Find out all you can by talking to people who have been through the program. Find out the facts and see if it suits your needs.

j

the navy's OIS is now 4 weeks long in newport , RI

Really?!

Navy OIS ONLY 4wks, since when did this happen? The brochure they gave me when I applied stated 6wks.

OIS for the Navy has always been 4 weeks. The other 2 weeks is a leadership course.

I see, thank there, j8436dp.... that clarifies some things....

Hey there LisaB.
Just wanting to let you know that I am currently in the Air Force HPSP. I was offered a position in the US Army and Chose the Air Force for several different reasons.
One is that my experience with personell from the two branches were different, not making generalizations about branches. I just had a better feel from the Air Force recruiters. Essentially all the programs are the same. I recommend people check out all three branches and choose which one feels right. If you have any specific questions message me.

Hey Tigg,

You chose the right branch. When are you doing your COT Training??

Hey Lisa B

My COT training is from July 1 - July 31.
And you?
I think I chose the right branch tooo!

Hey Tigg,
I'll be in Montgomery for all of July also. I'm very pleased with the AF. Of course, we don't have all that much to base it on yet, but I get the right feeling also. Proud to be a member of the USAF! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM 2005,
Good to hear it... congratulations.
I too couldn't be happier with my experiece thus far. I have been on the COT site and am reading and downloading everything. You bought your uniforms yet?

I purchased most of my stuff already, I live in the same town as the Air Force Academy and had a good recruiter. It was good to get that out of the way, it's quite a pain. I didn't purchase everything that was on the list. Some of the stuff I will get there, some I don't plan on getting (my recruiter pointed out the places I could skimp a little).

Anyway, I guess it's going to be a damn hot July for us! :cool:

I looked at the Army website and I saw that automatic acceptance of Army scholarship is 3.5 for GPA and 29 for MCAT. What is the standard of Air Force. I am intersted in Air Force HPSP and plan to apply if I will be accepted in the future. Also, I heard that Air Force HPSP is filled quickly every year, so what is best date to apply ? Just curious.

Originally posted by hp6527:
[QB]I am intersted in Air Force HPSP and plan to apply if I will be accepted in the future. /QB]

I believe Air Force minimum standards were 3.3 GPA and 27 MCAT. they are more selective because they have less scholarships to give out. regardless of which branch you go to, you're going to be surrounded by some excellent med students. You're from albany, NY? I'm working here for another month before i leave for med school. I went through both the army and air force recruiters and got both scholarships. I chose army over air force because i felt that they had better teaching hospitals, which left me with more options for where and what i want to practice. plus i had the exact opposite relationship with my recruiters as Tigg and LisaB. air force seemed like they were trying to "push" my application before the deadline and i got the impression that the air force demanded more military-like lifestyle.

hp6527-i have recruiter information for the albany area if you want them...

~j
COMP '05

Originally posted by hp6527:
•Also, I heard that Air Force HPSP is filled quickly every year, so what is best date to apply ? Just curious.•

before january. they have three selection board meetings but most of the 140 scholarships are given out at the first one, which is at the end of january. army has 5 meetings (i think). they have over 200 scholarships to give away.

on another note, you'll find that more people from the east coast will chose army because they have a stronger presence (e.g. west point, vmi, fort knox, fort bragg, washington dc, etc.)

~j

pyoj-

You seem to know a lot about the HPSP. Do you know where I can find statistics regarding how many scholarships there are, how many offers are given, and how many accept those offers? I am a Navy HPSP and would like to know these stats for each branch. Thanks.

i specifically asked my recruiters for this information...i have it somewhere in my information packet. i'm not sure if it's posted on the web or anything...

and as far as being well informed...i wanted to get as much information about this program before i committed to the military. it helped me make a rational and informed decision.
~j

pyoj, thanks a lot for your invaluable information. Actually, my home town is Syracuse and I study at SUNY Albany. This summer I plan to volunteer at Albany Medical Center. I am interested in Albany Medical College but I do not have experience about their standard admission. Army is also attractive to me because of their renowed health centers such as Walter Reed. I may ask you some more specific questions about HPSP of both Army and AF in the future. I am going to take MCAT next April and start the application process in June. I appreciate for your posting

I may be incorrect, but from what I know the numbers (140 for AF, 200 for army) are for all of HPSP. That includes medical, dental, optometry, etc. If that is the case, the number of medical scholarships they give out are actually less because they have to factor in the fact that they need dentist, etc.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

LisaB-your guess is as good as mine...did you say you were going to COMP?

hp6527-feel free to email me.

~j

LisaB,

I do believe you are correct. There are a flat number of HPSP scholarships that are distributed between several different health care careers.

Tigg

Yes Pyoj,

I'm going to COMP in the fall and looking forward to it. I don't post too often, and only post when I have something relevent to say. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates.