medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2002
1,929
3
Midwest
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I've been reading this board and everyone that matched into anesthesiology seemed to be of a certain mold. They all have Boads 220+, honors and high pass grades, tons of research, letters of recommendation from "Big People" in their fields.

Well I am a 2nd year student. At the begining of the year I was ranked 43/118. Get P's with H's here and there. Haven't taken my boards yet but I know myself and probably won't be setting any records, but hopefully do well enough to make cutoffs that certain programs have. I have a masters degree where I did research in Cardiothoracic transplant technologies. Extracurricular not much since medical school. Nothing med related but I volunteer at an animal shelter. I am not a superstar but want to get into a gas program. I am from California but not set on having to match there.

Is there a chance for me to get into a decent program? Any advice on what I can do from now on out to make myself a better candidate would be much appreciated.
 

powermd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2003
2,680
421
Northeast
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
medicine2006 said:
I've been reading this board and everyone that matched into anesthesiology seemed to be of a certain mold. They all have Boads 220+, honors and high pass grades, tons of research, letters of recommendation from "Big People" in their fields.

Well I am a 2nd year student at Howard University College of Medicine. At the begining of the year I was ranked 43/118. Get P's with H's here and there. Haven't taken my boards yet but I know myself and probably won't be setting any records, but hopefully do well enough to make cutoffs that certain programs have. I have a masters degree where I did research in Cardiothoracic transplant technologies. Extracurricular not much since medical school. Nothing med related but I volunteer at an animal shelter. I am not a superstar but want to get into a gas program. I am from California but not set on having to match there.

Is there a chance for me to get into a decent program? Any advice on what I can do from now on out to make myself a better candidate would be much appreciated.
I never cease to be amazed by these posts. There have been numerous threads over the past year covering this topic. YES YOU CAN GET INTO A DECENT ANESTHESIOLOGY PROGRAM EVEN IF YOU ARE A MEDIOCRE STUDENT. I had good board scores (229), but my grades in the basic sciences were B's and C's. I had all B's my third year, save for a C in pediatrics (malignant attending, should have challenged it...). I did some research with no major publications. I did a lot of community service type activities in college, and have a master's in business. Look below to see where I matched. You can certainly match a decent program with average credentials.
 
  • Like
Reactions: steeno
About the Ads

BassDominator

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
277
1
43
Visit site
Status
I wouldn't worry. Many people who feel mediocre as preclinical students really shine when they get to the wards, and vice versa. Nobody really looks very closely at preclinical grades.

You still have plenty of time to knock-em dead as a third year and to get published as a fourth year. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to get into a good gas program.

If you are a US medical grad, you will match at a good program.... If you are slightly above average, you will match at a very good to excellent program.

Best of luck!

P.S. Confidence goes a long way
 
  • Like
Reactions: steeno

medicine2006

Happy Pisces
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2002
1,929
3
Midwest
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BassDominator said:
I wouldn't worry. Many people who feel mediocre as preclinical students really shine when they get to the wards, and vice versa. Nobody really looks very closely at preclinical grades.

You still have plenty of time to knock-em dead as a third year and to get published as a fourth year. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to get into a good gas program.

If you are a US medical grad, you will match at a good program.... If you are slightly above average, you will match at a very good to excellent program.

Best of luck!

P.S. Confidence goes a long way
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess I feel that next to other friends and classmates of mine that I'm so plain it's repulsive. I have lots of buddies that are superstars in med school. I just don't want to be stuck scrambling come 2006. But I feel better about things now.
 

Arch Guillotti

Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
8,219
2,605
Status
Attending Physician
You have to realize that a lot of stuff posted on these boards is ridiculous claptrap. Everyone here is AOA and 250+ Step I of course. Except me I guess. I matched at a "top" gas program with Step I of 200. Oh and I'm a stupid old DO. Just sift through the info. and decide what is right for you. Of course there is lots of good info around here as well. Study hard for the boards,do well in clinicals and get good gas LOR's, blah, blah,blah. Gas is competitive but if you can tie your shoes reasonably well and aren't a lunatic, you will get a spot.

Arch
 

voltron

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2003
81
0
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Dude, I know guys with 190 board scores who matched at good programs.
 

Gaser

New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
4
0
Status
There are a few people at top programs with top scores and these people I think tend to post more. I just recently matched at UCSF and my Step 1 was 224. I have no research! My grades were 1/3 HP 1/3 H 1/3 P. I know that I am lucky to match where I did, but it is possible to be average and match over your head.

Ps. I did do an externship....must have helped.
 

Gaser

New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
4
0
Status
There are a few people at top programs with top scores and these people I think tend to post more. I just recently matched at UCSF and my Step 1 was 224. I have no research! My grades were 1/3 HP 1/3 H 1/3 P. I know that I am lucky to match where I did, but it is possible to be average and match over your head. Also my med school is very middle of the road

Ps. I did do an externship....must have helped.
 

N2O

N2O
10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2005
1
0
47
Status
Medical Student
Arch Guillotti said:
You have to realize that a lot of stuff posted on these boards is ridiculous claptrap. Everyone here is AOA and 250+ Step I of course. Except me I guess. I matched at a "top" gas program with Step I of 200. Oh and I'm a stupid old DO. Just sift through the info. and decide what is right for you. Of course there is lots of good info around here as well. Study hard for the boards,do well in clinicals and get good gas LOR's, blah, blah,blah. Gas is competitive but if you can tie your shoes reasonably well and aren't a lunatic, you will get a spot.

Arch

I am interested in an anesthesiology residency with no particular ties, or desires other than wishing for an academic program from which to be able to obtain a fellowship position. Currently, in my third year at a top ten med school....but with average grades and low 200's boards. Became interested in anesthesia recently....so, now research experience. Any advice on how to get a good residency?
 
M

MSc44

medicine2006 said:
I've been reading this board and everyone that matched into anesthesiology seemed to be of a certain mold. They all have Boads 220+, honors and high pass grades, tons of research, letters of recommendation from "Big People" in their fields.

Well I am a 2nd year student at Howard University College of Medicine. At the begining of the year I was ranked 43/118. Get P's with H's here and there. Haven't taken my boards yet but I know myself and probably won't be setting any records, but hopefully do well enough to make cutoffs that certain programs have. I have a masters degree where I did research in Cardiothoracic transplant technologies. Extracurricular not much since medical school. Nothing med related but I volunteer at an animal shelter. I am not a superstar but want to get into a gas program. I am from California but not set on having to match there.

Is there a chance for me to get into a decent program? Any advice on what I can do from now on out to make myself a better candidate would be much appreciated.

I know a guy who matched gas from a small school in mexico (noreste) who just passed the boards with a 75 No research and failed step 1 a few times, he was american and had a great personality....so yes anything is possible
 

N2b8

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
49
0
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
But they don't say much to make us IMGs feel any better "YES YOU CAN GET INTO A DECENT ANESTHESIOLOGY PROGRAM EVEN IF YOU ARE A MEDIOCRE STUDENT." doesn't necessisarily apply to us, does it? I'm scared, too. Please be patient with us.

Thanks in advance (and please don't be mad at me),

Julie


powermd said:
I never cease to be amazed by these posts. There have been numerous threads over the past year covering this topic. YES YOU CAN GET INTO A DECENT ANESTHESIOLOGY PROGRAM EVEN IF YOU ARE A MEDIOCRE STUDENT. I had good board scores (229), but my grades in the basic sciences were B's and C's. I had all B's my third year, save for a C in pediatrics (malignant attending, should have challenged it...). I did some research with no major publications. I did a lot of community service type activities in college, and have a master's in business. Look below to see where I matched. You can certainly match a decent program with average credentials.
 

charlie4u

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
3
0
Status
Non-Student
MSc44 said:
I know a guy who matched gas from a small school in mexico (noreste) who just passed the boards with a 75 No research and failed step 1 a few times, he was american and had a great personality....so yes anything is possible
I heard that less and less IMGs are accepted in the CA-1 year as the specialty becomes more popular among US students. Is this still true that anyone including IMGs can match into anesthesiology? :confused:
 

Hypnomania

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
23
0
Boston
Status
Resident [Any Field]
charlie4u said:
I heard that less and less IMGs are accepted in the CA-1 year as the specialty becomes more popular among US students. Is this still true that anyone including IMGs can match into anesthesiology? :confused:
I'm an IMG that matched into anesthesiology this year. Judging from this forum, I think there are a few IMGs that matched successfully.
I was nervous prior to applying but decided to apply widely and got called for 13 interviews. My impression is that a lot of programs are willing to consider IMGs with strong credentials.
Good luck with it all.
Hypnomania
 

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
5,183
2,036
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
charlie4u said:
I heard that less and less IMGs are accepted in the CA-1 year as the specialty becomes more popular among US students. Is this still true that anyone including IMGs can match into anesthesiology? :confused:
I wouldn't think so. You likely have to jump a little higher on different aspects of your application. US MD's vs identical IMG will go US MD everytime- as it probably should. But... US MD vs better candidate IMG should get you in the door. I have IMG friends who matched to some really nice programs this year. Step I and II were >95%, mostly honors, good lor, ecfmg certif in hand, and just down to earth normal dudes without eccentric personalities. They applied on the first day, over-applied (70) and played their cards right. All of them had >15 interviews and cancelled a butload of them.
Mold your own reality my friend, make it happen and don't wait (or hope) for it to land in your lap. Be prepared. That applies to everything you do. Good luck. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: steeno

jennyboo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2004
700
9
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, you will get a job.

I too matched very decently at a "top" program with pretty average credentials, no AOA. If you are an "average" US MD student who doesn't stand out, you will be surprised at the number of interviews you get.

I also went to a couple of interview days where more than half the candidates interviewing were not US MD students.
 

psalm128

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
26
0
Status
Attending Physician
I'm an IMG wanting to get a match in 2007 for gas. Step 1 89, Step 2 99. Have done gas here in Australia for 9 months. What are my chances of getting into a program in California? Or should I apply widely i.e. 70 programs?
 

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
3,507
11
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
sevoflurane said:
I wouldn't think so. You likely have to jump a little higher on different aspects of your application. US MD's vs identical IMG will go US MD everytime- as it probably should. But... US MD vs better candidate IMG should get you in the door. I have IMG friends who matched to some really nice programs this year. Step I and II were >95%, mostly honors, good lor, ecfmg certif in hand, and just down to earth normal dudes without eccentric personalities. They applied on the first day, over-applied (70) and played their cards right. All of them had >15 interviews and cancelled a butload of them.
Mold your own reality my friend, make it happen and don't wait (or hope) for it to land in your lap. Be prepared. That applies to everything you do. Good luck. ;)
I keep seeing this mistake OVER AND OVER... I've even seen PROGRAM DIRECTORS COMMIT the same mistake, which is very sad because those are the people with the final say on who goes in and who does not.

The two number score is _NOT_ a percentage.

http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm

Percentile information was discontinued long ago.. (May 1999) and for a very good reason.

http://www.usmle.org/Scores/percentiles.htm
 

Hypnomania

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
23
0
Boston
Status
Resident [Any Field]
psalm128 said:
I'm an IMG wanting to get a match in 2007 for gas. Step 1 89, Step 2 99. Have done gas here in Australia for 9 months. What are my chances of getting into a program in California? Or should I apply widely i.e. 70 programs?
I think that it would be safer to apply widely.
 

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
5,183
2,036
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Faebinder said:
I keep seeing this mistake OVER AND OVER... I've even seen PROGRAM DIRECTORS COMMIT the same mistake, which is very sad because those are the people with the final say on who goes in and who does not.

The two number score is _NOT_ a percentage.

http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm

Percentile information was discontinued long ago.. (May 1999) and for a very good reason.

http://www.usmle.org/Scores/percentiles.htm
Ok fine... >95 on the two digit score. In my opinion, >95 correlates with an excellent score. A score less than 75 means you don't pass.
 
About the Ads