• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Puffle

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am a soon to PGIV, married to fellow physician that has a few more years to complete before we have to relocate for his fellowship. So I'll have two years to work as an area locums. For those of you who have done this or know someone who has, what kind of perks can I ask for? Two years is not long, but not short. I plan on working full time, in a rural, underserved area where they have a helluva time finding psychiatrists.

Also, what are people paying in consulting fees to have a lawyer go over contracts? We've got referral for lawyer whose husband is a doc, so she does a resident rate of half price, so it's $300 an hour.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Also, what are people paying in consulting fees to have a lawyer go over contracts? We've got referral for lawyer whose husband is a doc, so she does a resident rate of half price, so it's $300 an hour.
Her regular rate for looking over a contract is $600/hour? Wow. That's expensive by a lot of yardsticks.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Memphis TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You should be able to find a decent lawyer who charges $150/hr (regular rate).

the standard pay for locums work, for a short term assignment, is $75 per hour (1099 income, not W2, so you have to pay the "self-employment tax") without benefits. If I were you, I would sign the standard contract - for a period of 1-2 months, and then renegotiate for a higher salary- $100/month (possibly W2) plus benefits.

Also, is there a state hospital in your area? Plenty of them would be happy to have someone for 2 years, you could probably get $75 per hour (W2) plus benefits for easy work (plenty of downtime).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.