What about Yale Post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stixman28

Medical Scientician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For several years I have been reading this forum and have never seen anything mentioned about the Yale post-bac program. Has anyone attended, or have any information on it?

Also, the Yale medical school employs quite an alternative style. But is it a bad idea to attend their undergrad (As a post-bac)? Or is it a good thing? Is there a rule of thumb about attending the undergrad programs of the different medical schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule, the more rigorous the undergraduate institution (or at least, its appearance considering grade inflation), the better. I would think Yale would be a great post-bacc if 1) you can afford it, 2) you do well. Note the last predicate is certainly not guaranteed to be realized at a place like Yale--again not counting grade inflation, if any exists there. Also, you will first have to get in. I don't know what Yale's standards are, but they are probably higher than most post-baccs. Most of the people on this forum, in my experience, tend to be low gpa or low MCAT applicants who need something more drastic. Yale is great if you did well in undergrad (3.5+) and test well. Assuming you do well there, completing your pre-reqs at an ivy will help more so than doing them at your local state university. That said, with most of the people here having low gpas, the yield is considerably less for doing a post-bacc at an ivy. Most of us realize that an SMP or some MS, if not two years of post-bacc is probably neccessary, so why waste money at a place like Yale when you'll probably have to spend it in grad school anyway.

I would seriously consider Yale only if I had a 3.5+ and tested well (this means 90+ percentile on the SAT, GRE, whatever). This would ensure that I would get the most benefit from the Yale luster. With stats any lower, you will only fall to the bottom of the pile with the low gpa applicants (most of whom will have completed an SMP or grad program) where the Yale credentials will provide no competitive advantage.

If its prestige you're after, you may well consider the Penn program, if for no other reason than more people seem to have attended it and can provide more info (more feedback = known entity). Or even Hopkins. Also, I think Penn has a provision for a second year of upper level bio work and even research (maybe??). Make sure Yale will allow you to continue for a second year if you need it.

One more thing: don't make the mistake of looking so far ahead as to discriminate between the different post-bacc programs based on the curriculum employed by their med schools. You're a long way from having to worry about that and med school admissions is a bigger lottery than you seem to think. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted anywhere, and if you're trolling this forum there is a 200% greater chance that your ultimate destination will be even more randomly assigned than that, since beggars don't normally get to choose. I personally find it humorous that you're debating Yale's curriculum since they rountinely reject 3.9/36+ applicants.

junebuguf said:
As a general rule, the more rigorous the undergraduate institution (or at least, its appearance considering grade inflation), the better. I would think Yale would be a great post-bacc if 1) you can afford it, 2) you do well. Note the last predicate is certainly not guaranteed to be realized at a place like Yale--again not counting grade inflation, if any exists there. Also, you will first have to get in. I don't know what Yale's standards are, but they are probably higher than most post-baccs. Most of the people on this forum, in my experience, tend to be low gpa or low MCAT applicants who need something more drastic. Yale is great if you did well in undergrad (3.5+) and test well. Assuming you do well there, completing your pre-reqs at an ivy will help more so than doing them at your local state university. That said, with most of the people here having low gpas, the yield is considerably less for doing a post-bacc at an ivy. Most of us realize that an SMP or some MS, if not two years of post-bacc is probably neccessary, so why waste money at a place like Yale when you'll probably have to spend it in grad school anyway.

I would seriously consider Yale only if I had a 3.5+ and tested well (this means 90+ percentile on the SAT, GRE, whatever). This would ensure that I would get the most benefit from the Yale luster. With stats any lower, you will only fall to the bottom of the pile with the low gpa applicants (most of whom will have completed an SMP or grad program) where the Yale credentials will provide no competitive advantage.

If its prestige you're after, you may well consider the Penn program, if for no other reason than more people seem to have attended it and can provide more info (more feedback = known entity). Or even Hopkins. Also, I think Penn has a provision for a second year of upper level bio work and even research (maybe??). Make sure Yale will allow you to continue for a second year if you need it.

One more thing: don't make the mistake of looking so far ahead as to discriminate between the different post-bacc programs based on the curriculum employed by their med schools. You're a long way from having to worry about that and med school admissions is a bigger lottery than you seem to think. There is no guarantee that you will be accepted anywhere, and if you're trolling this forum there is a 200% greater chance that your ultimate destination will be even more randomly assigned than that, since beggars don't normally get to choose. I personally find it humorous that you're debating Yale's curriculum since they rountinely reject 3.9/36+ applicants.

grade inflation is not an issue at all....a huge misconception is "grade inflation" makes a school like Yale easier than a "non ivy" or state school....which simply ins't true. Yale will be hard. Very hard. so don't go there unless you feel confident you can do well. Also, Yale's post bacc is mixed with undergrads which will make it intensely competitive.