What am I doing Wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoSox10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, December 1st has pretty much come and hwent by now. I'm kinda at a loss for answers currently. I know I should not expect to get into every school I interview at, especially being out of state at these schools, however I can't figure how I didn't get even a single call. While admittedly the first couple interviews weren't great, I thought I really improved the last two, and one in particular I thought I did exceptional on. In that particular one my interviewers even said I did great, and then shared that I had the best combo of test scores and GPA they had seen all application cycle. As far as grades and test scores go I doubt the problem is there as I have a 3.99 collective GPA and 4.0 science GPA, as well as a 26 AA, 21 perceptual ability. Also have about 160 hours shadowing, several unique volunteer experiences and strong letters of reccomendarion (according to interviewers). I'm very frustrated, angry and at a loss for answers. More so than anything else I think I just need to vent a little. Anyway if anyone has any ideas/suggestions on what I can do, or may be doing wrong I'd be interested to hear. Thanks In advance. Best.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
With those stats, it's almost hard to believe that you're not receiving a phone call. A friend of mine has a near 4.0 along with a 26 AA and received 6 acceptances today alone. It seems you have enough shadowing and volunteering done along with the letters. It must come down to the interview.

I'm sorry to hear that. That just plain sucks.

Honestly, I would never take what the interviewers say at face value when they comment on how great your interview or PS during the day of the interview. I'm sure they usually say that everyone's application was great (to an extent), otherwise, they wouldn't have received an interview at all. You certainly have good grades, DAT score, shadowing, and possibly extracurriculars as well. I don't know man, maybe your interviews didn't go so well after all. Regardless, you must understand that sometimes even the best of the best fail to get into dental school for whatever reasons. Your best bet now is just to contact each school you interviewed at and ask them what went wrong and how you can improve for the next cycle.

What schools did you apply to by the way? Hopefully you applied to schools that catered to your stats, etc.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
With those stats, it's almost hard to believe that you're not receiving a phone call. A friend of mine has a near 4.0 along with a 26 AA and received 6 acceptances today alone. It seems you have enough shadowing and volunteering done along with the letters. It must come down to the interview.
Thanks for the response, though, it is a bit depressing. I wish your friend the best of luck, and you as well if you applied this cycle. Guess I just gotta keep my fingers crossed. Maybe? Idk.

It’s day one. Relax and wait. Half the people in my class got accepted in March, April, and even May.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Probably was your interviewing skills. Just wait it out, hearing nothing is better than being given a rejection.

Why are you guys telling him to see how he can improve for next cycle??? You’re going to get waitlisted at most of those schools you applied too and you’ll eventually get in. You’re literally going to be at the top of the waitlists with those stats. It sucks you didn’t hear today but I can’t imagine you did bad enough in the interviews to get rejected, did you maybe interview/get your stuff in later in the cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm surprised schools aren't jumping at you. Those are some mind-blowing stats.

The only reason I can think of not getting acceptances right away is your interview. Hopefully you'll get some acceptances soon. However, worst-case scenario, if you don't get in, try to practice your interview with people who you aren't very close with. The school you graduated from usually should offer mock interviews.

I don't know about all schools, but for Midwestern University, the interviewers take notes during your interview which are then stored with admissions. If you call them and ask about your interview, they will read you some of the notes to help you improve. You might want to check to see if the schools you interview at offer the same service.

Best of luck!

Honestly, you and I are almost neck-to-neck with stats. The questions I would have for you are: 1) when did you apply?, 2) where did you apply? like what sorts of schools, 3) have you gotten any rejections or waitlists?
For me, I applied at the end of August, and finished all my secondaries at the end of September- very late. Thus I only had two pre-Dec interviews, but 3 post-Dec. Compared to those other people on there that were in their double digits for interviews, I was feeling pretty down, but I did get one call yesterday! So I guess, if you applied late, there will be more interviews coming, one I'm sure that will lead to an acceptance. If you applied early, then I don't know what else it could be besides the way you interviewed. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions/if I can help in any way!

I second artist2022 with those questions. Particularly important is whether or not those OOS schools are OOS friendly. Assuming there are no red flags on your application, I'd bet money that you're getting in somewhere, even if the schools are not OOS friendly. On paper you're a perfect applicant, so it definitely seems like it's the interview. If you have anymore interviews lined up, I would suggest you and focus on showing passion and personality. Dig deep if you have to, because then there would be nothing more schools could possibly ask for.

Just for my personal sanity, I'm also curious to know your race and residency?

Honestly, you and I are almost neck-to-neck with stats. The questions I would have for you are: 1) when did you apply?, 2) where did you apply? like what sorts of schools, 3) have you gotten any rejections or waitlists?
For me, I applied at the end of August, and finished all my secondaries at the end of September- very late. Thus I only had two pre-Dec interviews, but 3 post-Dec. Compared to those other people on there that were in their double digits for interviews, I was feeling pretty down, but I did get one call yesterday! So I guess, if you applied late, there will be more interviews coming, one I'm sure that will lead to an acceptance. If you applied early, then I don't know what else it could be besides the way you interviewed. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any questions/if I can help in any way!
Thanks for the support guys.

I applied to a number of schools down in the southeastern region, and received interviews at UAB, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Kentucky. I had my application in very early (June 4th if I remember right) and most of the secondaries were completed by early to mid July. According ADEA guide to dental schools, I believe most of these schools are relatively OOS friendly. I also applied to Louisville and Georgia, and while I was rejected from Georgia (not entirely surprising since they accept very few OOS students), I have yet to hear back from Louisville. I have been put on a "hold" list at Kentucky, but have yet to hear back from the other three schools I interviewed at. As for race and residency I am white, and currently a resident of South Dakota.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how long I should wait to contact the dental schools I have yet to hear back from? I figure at the latest it would be appropriate to contact them at the end of the month after people have had to decide to reject or accept the admittance's they received on December 1st. I'm anxious though, and want to do call them sooner. Thanks again. Best.

If you’re seeing all these multiple acceptance posts, you should also see that spots will open up once people start deciding :)

Reactions: 1 users
When did you interview at South Carolina?

First of all, "Wow, I would love your stats." Like many have said, stats only get your foot in the door. For myself with average stats, I really aimed hard to make my self stand out in my application with my PS and all those other things you can write to advertise yourself. I was fortunate enough to gain 6 acceptances and 1 waitlist. However, like most have said it must come down to your interviews. I didn't memorize any speeches, but I did write down certain points about myself that I wanted the interviewers to take away from me. You can laugh at this next point, but being a natural introvert, I viewed videos on how to interview and how to "win people over." Also, after my interviews I sent followup letters expressing my interest in their school and also key points about that day and how I would fit in and contribute to their program. I got a little burned out so I actually didn't get to 1 of those letters, which happened to be at the school I was waitlisted at (coincidence? may be, may be not). Don't lose hope. There will be plenty of movement as people commit/withdraw their acceptances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
When did you interview at South Carolina?

Well as far as MUSC goes I know that they don't send all their acceptances at once. You could be getting one in the next couple days. You should sign up for UPS Mychoice to keep an eye out for a package forom them.

Well as far as MUSC goes I know that they don't send all their acceptances at once. You could be getting one in the next couple days. You should sign up for UPS Mychoice to keep an eye out for a package from them.

I appreciate the advice. I am wondering though, are you saying that they might send out more acceptance letters in a few days? Cuz I have UPS mychoice and have checked a couple times the last few days and it shows no impending deliveries.

I second what @annieb985 said about stats only getting your foot in the door.. as someone who also has very average stats I think once I got my interviews I really sold my story and why it was that I wanted to attend that particular school. I think it's really important to address interview questions on a school-by-school basis, reinforcing your commitment to pursuing that program. Yes, with stats like that you can surely expect at least one acceptance, however, think about how you performed during your interviews and why you believe you did so well; how you sold your interest in that specific school. Once you address those questions then the waiting game is the toughest challenge.

Good luck

I appreciate the advice. I am wondering though, are you saying that they might send out more acceptance letters in a few days? Cuz I have UPS mychoice and have checked a couple times the last few days and it shows no impending deliveries.

yes, from what I understand they send them out in waves.

Perhaps they thought it was time to deflate the ego.