redoitall

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2012
The Big State, USA
Status
Medical Student
Hey folks

So I am scouting the ERAS system and I am saving the programs I want to apply to. I am looking at Prelim programs for IM. I have come a few university that offer "IM Prelim/Radiology". For instance Texas A& M has a Medicine preliminary and a Med-Prelim/Radiology. Do you guys know what the difference is? I couldn't find any info on their website. See below.

upload_2016-8-12_21-43-5.png

Attachments

Cognovi

Knowledge worker
2+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2016
bit.ly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Prelim/Radiology are designated (reserved) spots for those who also match into the associated radiology program. You can and will rank both the prelim/radiology and the regular prelim spots in association with that institution's radiology program.

Cognovi

Knowledge worker
2+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2016
bit.ly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's set up this way so that they fill a specific number of prelim-rads, and the rest are free for all. If the prelim-rads spots are not filled, the program can specify logic on their end as to where to re-allocate those positions, such as the regular prelim pool.

OP
redoitall

redoitall

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2012
The Big State, USA
Status
Medical Student
It's interesting that they would do that for Radiology. I have seen several programs do that. I have seen a few others for Derm or Ophtalmology but the most for Rads. They could maybe do a categorical Radiology program instead. Granted that it doesn't offer as much flexibility...
Anyway, therefore, as far as application goes, if your explanation is correct, there is no need to apply to both programs then and save some money???? I will shoot them an email to find out. I mean if you apply to 30+ prelim program, each application is 26 bucks. So it can save a few bucks...

Cognovi

Knowledge worker
2+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2016
bit.ly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's interesting that they would do that for Radiology. I have seen several programs do that. I have seen a few others for Derm or Ophtalmology but the most for Rads. They could maybe do a categorical Radiology program instead. Granted that it doesn't offer as much flexibility...
Anyway, therefore, as far as application goes, if your explanation is correct, there is no need to apply to both programs then and save some money???? I will shoot them an email to find out. I mean if you apply to 30+ prelim program, each application is 26 bucks. So it can save a few bucks...
Applying to the designated spot does not cost any more money than applying to the regular program alone. They're considered two tracks of the same program.

Cognovi

Knowledge worker
2+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2016
bit.ly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You raise the question of what is the difference between [categorical] vs. [advanced plus designated prelim]. I think it's mostly a administrative matter of what program (radiology vs. medicine) gets to claim the interns as their own (selection, funding, firing).