what are "mediocre student" med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keberson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...
i'm from texas so yes, its easier to get into med school down here. Up north and in cali you guys fret over 31 mcats...down here we throw parties with a 27.
So...i'm applying to all the schools in texas...all 7 of them
UTMD
UTSA
UT houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UTSW
UNT- (D.O program)

what out of state schools are within my reach?
is tulane to hard?
i have a 3.5, EMT-I, non urm-female, avg mcat, lots of great EC's (including paying for my own college, going to africa, mexico as volunteer) and LOR

so..out of state schools that are attainable for this mediocre texan? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just relax and go to a Texas school. If you love Texas( and most people that live there do) why leave, you will only become homesick for everything texas. Why add the added stress and money to go to out-of-state- schools like Tulane? Tulane costs something like $32,000, Texas schools around $6,500. That is a huge difference. I would love to go to San Antonio or Galveston for Med school b/c great cities. However, I am really just hoping to get into LSU-NO.

Keberson said:
Hey all...
i'm from texas so yes, its easier to get into med school down here. Up north and in cali you guys fret over 31 mcats...down here we throw parties with a 27.
:)

You just made several Californians shed a tear.

Members don't see this ad :)
nobody can answer my question?

I don't know if there is such a thing as mediocre student med schools outside of Ponce and del caribe. Or do you mean like midrange? If that's the case look at the midtier thread.

I'm in a very similar situation...also a texan w/ okay but not great stat. My advisor up north suggested looking at Philidelphia and NY schools, may be also Chicago. Lots of possible places.

being a Texan and a non-URM, if i had a 27, i wouldn't be throwing a party .. and i don't know any of my Texan friends who did with that score .. my classmate had an avg MCAT, 3.9+, and decent ECs .. s/he was one of the star students in our department, and the only school s/he got into was TTech .. and it was a close call .. i have a few friends who didn't get into any schools at all even with an avg MCAT (~28), avg GPA (~3.5), extensive research, other decent ECs, and good/great LORs .. being a completely average applicant does not guarantee you a spot in TX, although the chances are greater in TX .. i'm trying to think of some schools that you should consider out-of-state, but to tell you the truth, those that i know who applied out-of-state had stellar stats, and those who don't save their money and only apply in TX .. i would imagine if you can't get a spot in TX, the likelihood of you going to an out-of-state mid-tier, low-tier school would be even less .. but then you never know, you can get lucky ..

i really don't want to discourage you though .. if application money isn't an issue, then go ahead .. you can do a forum search for applicants who have similar stats to you and see where they are applying .. if they're public schools, make sure you check that the schools are receptive to out-of-staters ..

here's a thread
and another
and another

mentoz said:
being a Texan and a non-URM, if i had a 27, i wouldn't be throwing a party .. and i don't know any of my Texan friends who did with that score .. my classmate had an avg MCAT, 3.9+, and decent ECs .. s/he was one of the star students in our department, and the only school s/he got into was TTech .. and it was a close call .. i have a few friends who didn't get into any schools at all even with an avg MCAT (~28), avg GPA (~3.5), extensive research, other decent ECs, and good/great LORs .. being a completely average applicant does not guarantee you a spot in TX, although the chances are greater in TX .. i'm trying to think of some schools that you should consider out-of-state, but to tell you the truth, those that i know who applied out-of-state had stellar stats, and those who don't save their money and only apply in TX .. i would imagine if you can't get a spot in TX, the likelihood of you going to an out-of-state mid-tier, low-tier school would be even less .. but then you never know, you can get lucky ..

i really don't want to discourage you though .. if application money isn't an issue, then go ahead .. you can do a forum search for applicants who have similar stats to you and see where they are applying .. if they're public schools, make sure you check that the schools are receptive to out-of-staters ..

here's a thread
and another
and another

I don't know where you are from exactly but at my cow/hick school, Texas A&M Univeristy (gig 'em ags!), 30 people got into med school from A&M with below a 25 and 60 got in with a 27 and below. This is just from A&M....do you see where I'm going(the exception of course is UTSW)?ANd if you know anything about aggies...we don't have many URM's. The school is so conservative and anti-gay,anti-urm (that's just the way it is here, the enviroment is slowly changing but URMs avoid A&M like the plague)I would guess that maybe 15 of the 60 are actually african american, hispanic, ect.
i'd say my odds are pretty good if so many people are getting in from my school with avg. mcat/gpa. Aggies are just good that way :)

we have a really good premedical advising office and they take pride in the fact that so many aggies get into medical school....even with avg GPA/MCAT. Obviously these people made up for avg numbers by awesome LOR, EC's and a great personality. They weren't all URM's or "i saved the farm" types. They are normal...none-urm white/asian/ect male and female students that the adcoms know will make great doctors.

I am not sure if there are such things as mediocre med schools. The admissions process can be so random so it really depends. Just apply and do your best. Much luck in the process!!! :luck:

didn't mean to come across as mean or anything...i just wanted to show you how people with low mcat/gpa's can and DO get into med school quite frequently actually. I consider myself one of those people with a very solid application including great ECs (2 months in africa, 2 months in venezuela, 2 weeks mexico...all for volunteer purposes, not vacation,haha), graduating in 3 years, working in healthcare(EMT) supporting my living expenses, volunteering every week,ect. I may have avg GPA/MCAT but I am NOT an avg applicant.
I want to cover ALL my bases, however, and see what out-of-state schools are within my reach. I say medicore because I was referring to GPA/MCAT.
yes...i sucked on the mcat, and my grades are way sucky...but hey, i worked my way through college and managed my time to make those grades, graduate, AND be out of debt.
surely there are out-of -state schools that are within reach?

thanks for your help though...i just hate to hear about people not getting in with good stats (your friend). I'd be happy to go to tech though, hahah. maybe its just me, desperate

and i had a 35 on my mcat and didnt get into any tx schools.....

Members don't see this ad :)
merkon said:
and i had a 35 on my mcat and didnt get into any tx schools.....

were you a texas resident? They usually only like residents.

this proves my point that THE NUMBERS ARE NOT EVERYTHING :eek:

its all about who you are, the WHOLE person. Great mcat or great GPA is not always enough. Late applying is a big issue to, as well as out of state non texans (sorry for you :( )

but, you got in somewhere, right? :oops:

I fee like moving to Texas from Kentucky now. Where's my horse at? :laugh: :laugh: j/k

Hey OP,

I have a friend from Texas. He is a TX resident. Anyways, he got invited to interview at all the TX schools except at UTSW and got accepted to his first choice school at Houston.

From his experience, I would say Tulane was pretty receptive to TX students. Just my (or his) 2 cents. Good luck! :D

PS: Contrary to what some people say, I think you have a real good shot at TX med schools.

Keberson said:
didn't mean to come across as mean or anything...i just wanted to show you how people with low mcat/gpa's can and DO get into med school quite frequently actually. I consider myself one of those people with a very solid application including great ECs (2 months in africa, 2 months in venezuela, 2 weeks mexico...all for volunteer purposes, not vacation,haha), graduating in 3 years, working in healthcare(EMT) supporting my living expenses, volunteering every week,ect. I may have avg GPA/MCAT but I am NOT an avg applicant.
I want to cover ALL my bases, however, and see what out-of-state schools are within my reach. I say medicore because I was referring to GPA/MCAT.
yes...i sucked on the mcat, and my grades are way sucky...but hey, i worked my way through college and managed my time to make those grades, graduate, AND be out of debt.
surely there are out-of -state schools that are within reach?

thanks for your help though...i just hate to hear about people not getting in with good stats (your friend). I'd be happy to go to tech though, hahah. maybe its just me, desperate

i had to respond about your parties with 27s comment b/c in case a pre-med reads this, s/he may not be as motivated to score any higher than that .. i just wanted to be sure of that b/c above all else, everyone should try their best .. i've known a few people who didn't take certain parts of their application seriously, and i wouldn't want to see current students make that same mistake ..

you originally posted "mediocre student" .. i don't see how you expected me to know that you have outstanding ECs (as you've just cared to elaborate, initially they looked ok) as i never consider people with many unique experiences as mediocre .. when you mentioned mediocre, i took it as average across all aspects of the application .. with your ECs, i would say you have great chances of getting into a TX medical school, and you shouldn't be concerned with "mediocre student" medical schools (and i'm not sure if you mean mid/low-tier by this) .. i've worked all through college myself and came out debtless as well .. so congratulations to you for that b/c i know how difficult that can be .. the adcoms have looked kindly upon that in my situation, although my grades didn't suffer .. but i'm thinking they would still understand in your case .. i don't understand why you're desperate if A&M cranks out so many accepted students with below avg/avg scores .. you're very lucky to have a great advising office (as my school didn't have such, which i believe would be the reason behind the differences in our data) .. i can't tell you if out-of-state schools are within reach if they do an initial screening process which does not take into account your ECs, but i'm assuming you wouldn't need to worry so much .. i'd be fairly confident suggested by the A&M data .. if i were you, i'd go ahead and apply anywhere i wanted if within my budget, because you just never know. to this day i regret applying to 2 schools, but live and learn.

i'm not sure if you've checked the threads i've gathered for you, which have many good suggestions for schools .. in the end, it can be a crapshoot .. although i wouldn't say it is in its entirety (someone can get 9/10 acceptances, and since s/he didn't get in the 10th, it's a crapshoot? to some degree maybe) .. but i would definitely say that since you are a very well-rounded person, you shouldn't become desperate .. and you're welcome :) ... and one thing about SDN, don't let anything on it piss you off .. take whatever we say with a grain of salt .. we're here to advise students, but obviously no one knows everything, esp. when we don't know everything about the OP .. and i would definitely not listen to other pre-meds who haven't gone through the process yet .. just another piece of advice that i had to learn ;)

great post. Thank you for the encouragment. I will check out those threads!
congrats on UCSF (smarty girl, haha)

i hope to find a thread about all of your acceptances come next february! you'll do great!

Keberson said:
I don't know where you are from exactly but at my cow/hick school, Texas A&M Univeristy (gig 'em ags!), 30 people got into med school from A&M with below a 25 and 60 got in with a 27 and below. This is just from A&M....do you see where I'm going(the exception of course is UTSW)?ANd if you know anything about aggies...we don't have many URM's. The school is so conservative and anti-gay,anti-urm (that's just the way it is here, the enviroment is slowly changing but URMs avoid A&M like the plague)I would guess that maybe 15 of the 60 are actually african american, hispanic, ect.
i'd say my odds are pretty good if so many people are getting in from my school with avg. mcat/gpa. Aggies are just good that way :)

we have a really good premedical advising office and they take pride in the fact that so many aggies get into medical school....even with avg GPA/MCAT. Obviously these people made up for avg numbers by awesome LOR, EC's and a great personality. They weren't all URM's or "i saved the farm" types. They are normal...none-urm white/asian/ect male and female students that the adcoms know will make great doctors.
Good points, mang. Owned!

There are a number of schools you can apply to (mentoz posted some good links), but I think the Texas schools will serve you well. You yourself showed how they welcome the entire package instead of strictly numbers. You don't sound average, though, as it seems like you've overcome a lot (especially working throughout college, kudos!). Best of luck.

TheFlash said:
Good points, mang. Owned!

There are a number of schools you can apply to (mentoz posted some good links), but I think the Texas schools will serve you well. You yourself showed how they welcome the entire package instead of strictly numbers. You don't sound average, though, as it seems like you've overcome a lot (especially working throughout college, kudos!). Best of luck.

they welcome the entire package instead of strictly numbers .. i don't know of places that welcome strictly numbers and not the package..

just to clarify this "strictly numbers" idea, i hope ppl will realize that those who are more competitive in the top-tier schools with higher MCATs/GPAs are very well-rounded also and serve a complete package .. it seems sometimes that ppl think these students get into competitive schools strictly by numbers as well .. so to dispel any assumptions, every student should be well-packaged, and schools will look for students with a certain package befitting the school .. some packages include higher numbers or lower numbers, but a package nonetheless .. which may explain why ppl with "strictly numbers" and nothing else may not do as well as those with all else ..

for example, UTSA .. i think it is the only school in TX that screens the entire application before inviting a student to interview .. therefore it's the only school that looks for the entire package first, interviews second (which is why the # of students interviewed there are significantly lower than all other schools in TX) ... the student with low numbers but outstanding everything else will definitely fare well here, as evidenced by the story of the accepted student with the lowest MCAT becoming the #1 student in the class (as told by the dean) .. so to agree with you about the package, but to highlight the fallacy of the implication that schools accept strictly by numbers, something you may not have been aware of implying .. just to clarify for future readers.

mentoz said:
they welcome the entire package instead of strictly numbers .. i don't know of places that welcome strictly numbers and not the package..

just to clarify this "strictly numbers" idea, i hope ppl will realize that those who are more competitive in the top-tier schools with higher MCATs/GPAs are very well-rounded also and serve a complete package .. it seems sometimes that ppl think these students get into competitive schools strictly by numbers as well .. so to dispel any assumptions, every student should be well-packaged, and schools will look for students with a certain package befitting the school .. some packages include higher numbers or lower numbers, but a package nonetheless .. which may explain why ppl with "strictly numbers" and nothing else may not do as well as those with all else ..

for example, UTSA .. i think it is the only school in TX that screens the entire application before inviting a student to interview .. therefore it's the only school that looks for the entire package first, interviews second (which is why the # of students interviewed there are significantly lower than all other schools in TX) ... the student with low numbers but outstanding everything else will definitely fare well here, as evidenced by the story of the accepted student with the lowest MCAT becoming the #1 student in the class (as told by the dean) .. so to agree with you about the package, but to highlight the fallacy of the implication that schools accept strictly by numbers, something you may not have been aware of implying .. just to clarify for future readers.

AGREED. kudos to all those people who can get the grades AND are well rounded.

mentoz said:

I know more than a handful of people who have "brute forced" their way into med school based on a 38+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA alone. Average EC's, average LOR's, no real interesting application tidbits. Several top tier acceptances. That's what I was referring to. It does happen, and quite often if you've gone to a top 25 undergrad.

Of course, having a well-rounded application is always an advantage. Sorry if I confused applicants into thinking otherwise with the wording of that sentence you quoted. I was implying the TX schools (like the example of UT-SA) do a good job of looking beyond numbers, probably more so than top tier schools...

mentoz said:
i had to respond about your parties with 27s comment b/c in case a pre-med reads this, s/he may not be as motivated to score any higher than that .. i just wanted to be sure of that b/c above all else, everyone should try their best .. i've known a few people who didn't take certain parts of their application seriously, and i wouldn't want to see current students make that same mistake ..

you originally posted "mediocre student" .. i don't see how you expected me to know that you have outstanding ECs (as you've just cared to elaborate, initially they looked ok) as i never consider people with many unique experiences as mediocre .. when you mentioned mediocre, i took it as average across all aspects of the application .. with your ECs, i would say you have great chances of getting into a TX medical school, and you shouldn't be concerned with "mediocre student" medical schools (and i'm not sure if you mean mid/low-tier by this) .. i've worked all through college myself and came out debtless as well .. so congratulations to you for that b/c i know how difficult that can be .. the adcoms have looked kindly upon that in my situation, although my grades didn't suffer .. but i'm thinking they would still understand in your case .. i don't understand why you're desperate if A&M cranks out so many accepted students with below avg/avg scores .. you're very lucky to have a great advising office (as my school didn't have such, which i believe would be the reason behind the differences in our data) .. i can't tell you if out-of-state schools are within reach if they do an initial screening process which does not take into account your ECs, but i'm assuming you wouldn't need to worry so much .. i'd be fairly confident suggested by the A&M data .. if i were you, i'd go ahead and apply anywhere i wanted if within my budget, because you just never know. to this day i regret applying to 2 schools, but live and learn.

i'm not sure if you've checked the threads i've gathered for you, which have many good suggestions for schools .. in the end, it can be a crapshoot .. although i wouldn't say it is in its entirety (someone can get 9/10 acceptances, and since s/he didn't get in the 10th, it's a crapshoot? to some degree maybe) .. but i would definitely say that since you are a very well-rounded person, you shouldn't become desperate .. and you're welcome :) ... and one thing about SDN, don't let anything on it piss you off .. take whatever we say with a grain of salt .. we're here to advise students, but obviously no one knows everything, esp. when we don't know everything about the OP .. and i would definitely not listen to other pre-meds who haven't gone through the process yet .. just another piece of advice that i had to learn ;)

It's not necessary to write "s/he." Pick "she" or "he", "his" or "hers," and stick with it. Gwan. Do it. Your head won't explode. You won't be punsished by your school's "Department of Diversity."

mentoz said:
i had to respond about your parties with 27s comment b/c in case a pre-med reads this, s/he may not be as motivated to score any higher than that ..

This is SDN you know?

Panda Bear said:
It's not necessary to write "s/he." Pick "she" or "he", "his" or "hers," and stick with it. Gwan. Do it. Your head won't explode. You won't be punsished by your school's "Department of Diversity."

This is interesting because I was advised to use gender neutral terms in my personal statement. i.e. "a man's responsibility to others" vs "a person's responsibility to others". Don't know if it makes a big diff,
:confused: but just in case adcom thinks i'm not sensitive to "diversity issures".

Keberson said:
Hey all...
So...i'm applying to all the schools in texas...all 7 of them
UTMD
UTSA
UT houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
UTSW
UNT- (D.O program)

what out of state schools are within my reach?
is tulane to hard?
i have a 3.5, EMT-I, non urm-female, avg mcat, lots of great EC's (including paying for my own college, going to africa, mexico as volunteer) and LOR

so..out of state schools that are attainable for this mediocre texan? :)

No offense or anything, but those are mediocre EC's. You need to do something that no one else can do. Most people can go to Africa or Mexico to volunteer. Paying for your own college education proves you can be a good doctor? How are your EC's related to medicine in particular?

People don't leave TX because its cheep. If you have stellar stats then Baylor and UTSW are considered top ten schools by most people, and they cater to Texans. The only way I would have left TX is for a top med school like one of the H-bombs. If you go to a mediocre out-of-state school then you are wasting your money. Unless by some freak chance you did not match in TX you wouldn?t be wasting your money. I think the acceptance rate is higher than 1/3 in TX, but I would have to check the TMDSAS stats again. It has been a while.

Panda Bear said:

that was for anonymity's sake, quit being so hostile. your head might explode.

shatter said:
No offense or anything, but those are mediocre EC's. You need to do something that no one else can do. Most people can go to Africa or Mexico to volunteer. Paying for your own college education proves you can be a good doctor? How are your EC's related to medicine in particular?

Your EC's don't have to be related to medicine. The admissions committee is just happy knowing that you don't come home from school and play video games til midnight.

RE Chicago: Northwestern and University of Chicago are relatively good schools and the caliber of accepted students reflect that.

UIC takes 90% Illinois residents. The other 10% are usually really outstanding candidates from states like California.

Rush and Loyola also prefer in-state applicants but take a higher percentage of out of staters than UIC.

Chicago medical school also has many excellent candidates from states like California and Delaware.

Point of this post. There are many Illinois schools and they accept many "mediocre" candidates (me being one of them.) So if you are an applicant from Illinois, especially Southern Illinois, be prepared to call yourself doctor in 4 years. However, out of staters may not find it as easy.

hjt said:
I'm in a very similar situation...also a texan w/ okay but not great stat. My advisor up north suggested looking at Philidelphia and NY schools, may be also Chicago. Lots of possible places.

shatter said:
You are wrong. She does have great EC's!!! It is crazy to think that just ANYONE can go and do volunteer work in a foreign country! That takes a lot of guts and 9/10 it comes from a deep desire to help your fellow man which I don't believe can be taught in a school...it comes from who you are on the inside. If you are a selfish tool, then you would not waste your time doing overseas volunteer work...medically related or not. Paying for your own education does say a lot about a person...how can you not see that clearly?!

shatter said:

NOt everybody has been to africa, or venezuela? did YOU pay for your entire college by working full-time while in college?

if so...then feel free to post back that my EC's are mediocre

i still won't think they are...maybe you are a great applicant who had done amazing things but a lot of premeds get mom and day to pay thier way and never worked a day in thier undergraduate career.

not bitter here...just proud that I made it, paid for it, and survived!