What are my chances? 30Q MCAT with 3.75 GPA Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imustbebatgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As previously described, I'm a Texas resident with a 30Q MCAT (11V, 10 BS, 9 PS) and a 3.75 GPA. I'm a Neurobiology and Psychology major.

ECs:

3.5 years of Madrigal Dinner as director, assistant director, assistant producer.

2 years/250 hours of shadowing at Seton Hospital.

2 semesters of study group leader for Genetics/Biochem classes.

2 years of working in a research lab.

3.5 years employment at a theater as a house manager.

Last summer, I studied abroad in Guadalajara, spent 9 weeks there, 5 weeks in University of Guadalajara, 4 weeks interning in the civil hospital (obstetrics, pediatric surgery, pediatric psychiatry).

I'm also fluent in Spanish.

I'd love to go to Baylor (my mom went there), do y'all think I have a shot at it?

Members don't see this ad.

Stats-wise, I think you're in good shape for a Texas acceptance somewhere. Baylor's median acceptee stats are 3.9/35, which makes that school a long shot for you.

EC-wise, your clinical experience is on the low side. Is it possible that all those lovely shadowing hours include time where you actively assisted in some way? In which case, I'd split those hours out of the shadowing activity and list it as volunteer-medical/clinical. I'm not seeing nonmedical community service; did you forget to mention this? Otherwise your ECs look good and the madrigal directorship will help you stand out.

Err, by shadowing I mean volunteering at Seton. The internship in Guadalajara is my main active medical experience, since it was in Mexico and I could do a lot more (i.e. observe surgeries in the room/assist the surgeons, observe births in the room, be a part of consultations, do exercises with the kids in pediatric psych, etc).

You will probably need some luck for Baylor, but who doesn't? Apply everywhere in Texas, and you should be alright. Your ECs look pretty good, just keep 'em up. g'luck