What are my chances and at which schools?

Started by Ramodaha
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ramodaha

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently hoping for SGU, SABA, or Ross and wanted to know what my chances are at these schools.
Overall GPA: 2.68
Science GPA: 2.74
MCAT: 26P (v=8, p=8, b=10)

I understand those aren't the most stellar marks however I had a lot of family issues throughout my undergrad which decimated my GPA. I also have over 1000+ volunteering hours in a clinical setting and should be able to get good letters of recommendations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I also have over 1000+ volunteering hours in a clinical setting"

I just applied to AUC, Ross, and SGU. Only SGU will even know that you have over 1000 hours of volunteering. AUC and Ross will only know when you did this volunteering (they ask for the start date in mm/yyyy and end date in mm/yyyy. Whether you did 1 hour per week on every other Saturday, or 5 hours every single day of the week will be unknown to them).

I was pretty surprised when i saw that they dont ask the amount of hours you put into volunteering. 1000 hours is a lot, and i would think you would want them to know how much time you devoted to volunteering, so i would try to bring this up in my personal statement if i were you.

Looking at your stats, your MCAT is at or above the averages for Ross, SGU, and Saba. But your gpa may be a little low. Im in a similar situation. I dont think my chances are great, but i am applying anyway because there still is a chance and i dont see how it will hurt to atleast apply (unless 75 dollars is a huge deal to you).
 
I still plan on applying, I just wanted to see what my chances are.
What about some other schools, like AUC for example?
 
your gpa is 0.5 points lower than the average, that's a lot, not a little.. I don't know about SABA and AUC, but SGU and Ross have many back doors into their medical programs and they will gladly offer those routes to you.. things like Foundation of Medicine, MPH, or starting at the last semester of Pre-Med can all be offered as alternatives from SGU. And Ross has MERP (medical education review program)... Those schools don't like to reject people and will offer these alternatives to those not qualified for admission straight into their medical program. these programs are a way for you to prove yourself to the schools and a way for the school to make more money off of you. so apply at worst you'll be offered one of those programs. contact the schools if you're interested in knowing more info about them.