what are my chances and should I do a masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spongeycashew

New Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

So, I'm kind of an idiot and I screwed up my first two years of university (3.35 and 3.21 GPA respectively). I've been pulling up my GPA steadily over the past year and a half though, and I received a 3.92 last year, and 3.96 last semester. Would it be worth it for me to do a masters to hopefully boost my GPA up, or do I have a chance at med schools without it? I'm a BC resident, studying at Queen's university. I feel like my ECs aren't really that amazing (some research experience, no pubs for two summers, volunteer/mentor at the hospital for 2 years, volunteer first aid provider for 4, executive of two municipal service committees for 2 years, big buddy to two children for 3 years, lots of retail work experience, and academic grievance officer for 1 year), so I'm a little lost as to what to do. I received a 511 on the MCAT (128/127/128/128) from self-studying last summer, and I'll be retaking it again this year with a class to boost up my CARs mostly.

Do I have a chance at medicine, or should I do a masters before I apply for it?
 
Last edited:
Are you talking about a special masters in the US for application to US medical schools? Or a graduate school masters in Canada for applying to a Canadian medical school? If its the former, you might try in the premed section or what are my chances for people with experience with that, although I don't know how being a Canadian affects your chances. If its the later, you should try premed101 as this is mostly a US school oriented forum, and also Masters marks are not counted in GPA so it would not help you at all and you should do 1-2 more years of undergrad either as a ad-hoc post bac or as a two year add on degree, depending how many credits youve taken and your overall GPA.
 
Are you talking about a special masters in the US for application to US medical schools? Or a graduate school masters in Canada for applying to a Canadian medical school? If its the former, you might try in the premed section or what are my chances for people with experience with that, although I don't know how being a Canadian affects your chances. If its the later, you should try premed101 as this is mostly a US school oriented forum, and also Masters marks are not counted in GPA so it would not help you at all and you should do 1-2 more years of undergrad either as a ad-hoc post bac or as a two year add on degree, depending how many credits youve taken and your overall GPA.

Hi! Thanks for your response. I could do a post-bac but in Canada it's a little harder to do that than in the US I believe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Thanks for your response. I could do a post-bac but in Canada it's a little harder to do that than in the US I believe.
Master's won't help if you undergrad grades are low. Being from BC is great-you have a shot there still. Look up their criteria.

Keep up your GPA like you have been, and do a 5th year of undergrad. 3 strong years is enough. Being prepared to need to apply a couple times
 
I appreciate your hard work which you did earlier. GPA plays an important role in medicine admission in Canada. Masters can help you to become expert in the subject but as @bearded frog said masters GPA may not add value to get into top medical school.