What are my chances? Applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

u_stepped_on_mi_to_sis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!! i've been lurking on SDN and recently ive read a LOT of threads w ppl that have AMAZING DAT scores and exceptional GPAs... makes me just wonder where i possibly stand. i'll post my stats and pleaaase give any advice possible!

DAT scores: 8/8/18
- 23 AA
- 22 TS
- 25 PAT

sGPA & GPA:
(currently a junior & working on raising my gpa)
both are around 3.38
(economics major + all the pre-dental stuff)

Volunteering:

- Soup kitchen volunteer for the past 3 yrs

LOR:
- 1 from the orthodontist I shadowed
- 1 from my biology prof
- 1 from my calc II prof

ok this is everything i can think of off the top of my head!!

do you guys think this is enough? my gpa is what I'm stressing about the most

thanks for all the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine as long as your school list makes sense. I wouldn't mention the shadowing of MDs/DOs on your app or you'll look like a failed premed.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks good, as long as you interview well you should have no problem getting accepted.

Your school list should be 8-12 schools. Should include: state schools, schools that offer in-state after the first year, a dream school or two if thats your thing, and a few private schools to make sure you have an acceptance in the event things do not go well at your state interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with those above. I was informed by many students in dental school and by the dental admissions that shadowing a doctor makes it seems as if dental was your backup plan and makes the admission committee think that you are not 100% interested in dentistry

I wouldn't mention the hours you spent shadowing MD's, you could however mention in your PS that you in fact did shadow other professions, but dentistry was a better fit etc. Just my two cents. Your DAT should make up for your GPA, but you still have a year left so your GPA will only improve and that will show come academic update period. Start forming a school list. Good luck.

I put my doctor shadowing experience on my application and even brought it up in my interviews saying that I explored all options and came to the conclusion that dentistry was the best fit for me because xyz. I didnt have 300 hours though haha

You're fine as long as your school list makes sense. I wouldn't mention the shadowing of MDs/DOs on your app or you'll look like a failed premed.

What if the shadowing showed that OP wasnt interested in that field as they thought they were? I feel like this would be a good point to bring up, unless Dental was the goal from FR year.

I put my doctor shadowing experience on my application and even brought it up in my interviews saying that I explored all options and came to the conclusion that dentistry was the best fit for me because xyz. I didnt have 300 hours though haha

What if the shadowing showed that OP wasnt interested in that field as they thought they were? I feel like this would be a good point to bring up, unless Dental was the goal from FR year.
There is a big difference between 100 hours and 300. As it stands OP has almost 2x as much med as dent. Combined with a 3.38 I would assume he is settling for dentistry since the matriculant avg GPA is 0.2 lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.