What are my chances? Applying this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molesperliter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year of my biology degree (minors in chem and business management), and I am applying this application cycle. I made sure to check that the schools I am applying to allow you to have your pre-reqs in process at time of admission offer. I'm hoping to specialize in pathology. I will be out of state for anywhere I apply, but I am from rural Appalachia, so I'm hoping LMU will give my application special consideration.

I'm applying to:
Ohio State
Mississippi State
Virginia-Maryland
LMU
Ross
UPenn

Cum GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.4 (I'm worried about this)
Last 45 GPA: 3.8

Research (100 hr): I am currently doing microbiology research

Veterinary experience (total 2,050 hrs): I have 1,000 hours at a small animal clinic where I've worked for over a year
500 hours at an equine specific hospital where I did my capstone
500 hours at the animal research facility where I've worked for around eleven months
50 hours doing low income shot clinics

Non veterinary animal experience (total 4,000): I worked at Petco full time for over a year, so I have around 2,000 hours of animal handling experience from there.
I volunteer at the local shelter whenever I can which totals around 100 hours
I rescue and rehabilitate reptiles which totals around 1,900 hours as of right now

Volunteer hours (500): I am highly involved in a yearly food bank my class put together a few years ago. We typically feed around 1,000 people.
I volunteer quite a bit for the science outreach programs my college puts together
I spent a short amount of time volunteering for Hospice
I help one of the vet techs I work with distribute pet food from her food pantry. Our surrounding area is extremely poor, so it is actually quite a bit of work on the weekends.

Leadership positions: I spent last summer and this year working with a program that promotes STEM education for first generation college students. I have been mentoring them for about a year now. I also taught an 8 weeks class last semester that’s required for incoming freshman to show them resources on campus and give them advice.
(Most of my leadership experience was in high school because I won several national cheerleading titles, but I didn't cheer in college so I'm hesitant to add this to my application)

Other stuff: I have been a TA for one lower level chem lab and upper level chem lab
I TA for the advanced ornithology class every summer
I am super involved in peer tutoring
Member of the pre-vet club
Member of a professional chemistry fraternity
Member of my state herpetology society
Currently an honors student
I started college a year early because I skipped the 10th grade.

Awards:
Deans List 3 semesters
Presidents list 1 semester
Honors scholarship
John Marshall scholarship

Letters of rec:
2 from vets I have worked with
1 from the Assistant Dean of Students at my university (I have done volunteer projects with him)
1 from the micro professor I do research with
1 from the ornithologist I work with
1 from an organic professor I TA for (I also took him for multiple classes)

Employment outside of vet med: I worked for three years at a retail store, and for a while I worked at edible arrangements.

Hobbies outside of vet med: I play piano and flute, and I've been baking cakes as a hobby for about a year now.
Soap making
Painting
Knitting
Hiking and Kayaking

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just mentioned this to another applicant but 6 letters is a lot. Are they all strong letters that add to your application and speak to diverse character traits?
I had four letters and several schools told me they didn’t even look at my fourth.

I just mentioned this to another applicant but 6 letters is a lot. Are they all strong letters that add to your application and speak to diverse character traits?
I had four letters and several schools told me they didn’t even look at my fourth.
But I definitely like how diverse your experiences are! I think that makes you stand out a lot as an applicant

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe this depends on the school. I know I applied w/ 6 letters, because I knew all 6 were strong and I was accepted. Schools usually mention on their website if there are a preferred number of letters. Either that or check out the forums specific to your schools of interest.

Like @gizzerlizzer, I also applied with 6 and don’t think it hurt me. Some schools will only read 3 letters and they have you specify which 3 they will read. Other schools will read every letter. I don’t personally think having more than 3 is a bad thing as long as the letters are strong. I had people from different aspects of my life write me letters ... a small animal vet I worked for, a large animal vet I shadowed, one of my engineering bosses, 2 professors (required by Tufts), and the president of a non-profit I’ve been with 7 years. I wouldn’t have submitted as many if they were all from the same hospital but I think each added something different to my application.

Reactions: 1 user
But I definitely like how diverse your experiences are! I think that makes you stand out a lot as an applicant
I know most of them are very strong and diverse. I am only worried about one from the orgo professor because he is a great professor and we have a very close relationship, but I don't really have faith in his writing abilities. It could be a great letter though- I'm just assuming this from the email conversations we've had. But the content outweighs the presentation in my mind.

Do well on your essays and interviews and your chances are, in my opinion, strong. A big part of veterinary school seems to be the collaborative effort amongst classmates, so your tutoring experience will likely shine.

I also applied with 6 letters, and feel like it worked out, so no regrets here :)

How do they decide which was the fourth? By the order you requested them on VMCAS, or by the time they submitted the letters? I have requested 4 letters now and the fourth one might not be very strong.