what are my chances as an Asian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddubi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ivy League sGPA/cGPA both 3.7

1st MCAT 31(12,9,10)
2nd MCAT plan to take it in few weeks (lets just say I get 35)

I'm at the end of my first gap year (taking 2 years off) working at a research lab in a medical school hospital in the states.

I'll have 3~4 years of research experience.

Some clinical and non-clinical volunteer experience.

overall, average resume.

The thing is..... I am an Asian. I know that no schools will deny you acceptance because of your race, but everyone knows that as an Asian I will pretty much be competing with other Asians for acceptance. And I think my GPA,MCAT, and resume are probably on the lower end of average Asian applicants.

For example, I see many caucasians and African Americans or non Asian/Indian applicants get into higher end tier medical schools with lower GPA/MCAT/less impressive resume than Asian/Indians with much higher GPA/MCAT/ more impressive resume...

I know I might be sounding a bit pessimistic, and perhaps even racist...? But Please know that I do not mean to sound like that.

I'm just trying to figure out what the reality is for me getting into med school in the states.

I'd really appreciate replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of your observations are true. But, many who got into medical school with lower MCAT and GPA may have some special things other than their races. For example, some have worked more than one year in Africa or Asia to help poor people. Some may have championed to have raised a million dollars to promote health life. Other may have overcome extreme hardship in their life to pursue their dream to med school.

1st MCAT 31(12,9,10)

I'm at the end of my first gap year (taking 2 years off) working at a research lab in a medical school hospital in the states.

overall, average resume.

The thing is..... I am an Asian. I know that no schools will deny you acceptance because of your race, but everyone knows that as an Asian I will pretty much be competing with other Asians for acceptance. And I think my GPA,MCAT, and resume are probably on the lower end of average Asian applicants.

For example, I see many caucasians and African Americans or non Asian/Indian applicants get into higher end tier medical schools with lower GPA/MCAT/less impressive resume than Asian/Indians with much higher GPA/MCAT/ more impressive resume...

I know I might be sounding a bit pessimistic, and perhaps even racist...? But Please know that I do not mean to sound like that.

I'm just trying to figure out what the reality is for me getting into med school in the states.

You'll be fine, don't be crazy. As long as you have some demonstrated leadership and solid shadowing hours, I'd say you have a pretty well-rounded application. I'm sure your observations have some truth to it but if you're qualified, you'll be just as competitive. You don't need to go to Africa or start a non-profit or whatever. I mean if that's what you WANT to do then go for it but don't do it just for the sake of putting it on your med school application. There are so many non-academic factors that go into getting that acceptance. When you submit, when you turn in that secondary, your personal statement, your LORs, how well you interview, luck, etc. Maybe we Asians just lack in these areas that make it seem like we're not getting in based on stats alone? :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally understand your sentiment, because I had the same feeling when I applied!

The key to stand out is to highlight something unique throughout your application (PS, AMCAS, secondaries). For me, it was my immigrant background and tons of clinical experience, the same two topics that were brought up during my interviews over and over.

4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen in any color. Your numbers are great, but if you want to get accepted, being Asian has nothing to do with it. It's impressing the AdCom that you will make a great doctor.

When you say "some clinical expereince'..how much is some? The key to being accepted from being a in pool of thousands of equally stellar candidates is to stand out. So, what makes you so special?

1st MCAT 31(12,9,10)

overall, average resume.

I don't think you're being racist lol, it is a frustrating situation to be in. Affirmative action is a blatant form of racism in my opinion. Ranting aside, I think you're fine and I dont really think you have to take the MCAT again unless you are certain you will score higher than 31. If you score <31 you really crush your chances.

I can't imagine people coming from Ivy Leagues having "average resumes". You had to be a stellar applicant with excellent extracurricular activities to get accepted in the first place, so most likely, these habits translated into college as well.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Your MCAT retake will determine whether your all is an Average app or a baller app.