What are my chances at a job as a nontraditional medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChienYi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I entered medical school at 34, and am interested in matching into pathology residency. However, I am a bit concerned about my age when I complete. I will be close to 45. How do private practices in pathology look at older applicants who have just completed their medical training? How hard is it to get a job as a nontraditional medical student? Any advice on how to make myself a competitive candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Advice is pretty much the same as for anyone else. Work hard in residency, form as many good connections as possible in residency, don't get in trouble/cause difficulty for anyone in residency, and hope for the best.

If the only nontraditional thing about you is age (not a foreign medical grad, speak English as a first language, etc.), yeah you'll probably be facing more difficulty than someone else in some aspects. On the other hand it may turn out that your relative maturity will serve you better in the personal side of residency & particularly job applications. Every potential employer is different.