MD & DO What are my chances at DO/MD schools? Appreciate the thoughts and advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquid Hue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Will be 29 years old during expected Fall admittance 2019. I am a Black - African/American applicant.
Current Peace Corps Volunteer (Community Health Extension - Paraguay) Close of service date May 2018 - Fluent in Spanish and French

Highlights
- 3.43 non-science GPA / 3.14 science GPA - 3.25 overall
- Most recent MCAT 506 (4th attempt - previous attempts 19 24 23 - all older than 3 years)
- 150 volunteer hours in Hospital Setting (ER / hospice)
- 1 year patient advocate - paid position (Hospital Setting)
- Child Family Health International volunteer experience in Ecuador and Non-Profit Children 2 Children donation of clothes - 6 weeks
- 250hrs + shadowing multiple MD/DO physicians
- Connecticut Resident

Any advice, encouragement, thoughts, and words of the sort would be greatly appreciated
Thank you kindly!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
UConn
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Brown
Dartmouth
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew

You could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
UConn
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Brown
Dartmouth
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA-Drew
I appreciate the time you put into replying to my post. I'm curious to how you figure I can get interviews at a number of those schools. Was I aiming too low? Will you please tell me some of your thought process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dartmouth and Brown like non traditional applicants. Schools in cities with large African American populations also desire African American applicants. Schools in cities with large Hispanic populations desire Hispanic applicants.

Dartmouth and Brown like non traditional applicants. Schools in cities with large African American populations also desire African American applicants. Schools in cities with large Hispanic populations desire Hispanic applicants.

I see you're quite active on this forum today, hoping you can throw your two cents in on DO schools for me?

Shoot for mid-tier schools, your state schools, HBCUs, and all DO schools. GPA and MCAT are low for MD but you have killer ECs and URM status so the MD schools might show you some love. You're a fine DO applicant.

I see you're quite active on this forum today, hoping you can throw your two cents in on DO schools for me?
I have a 3.1 GPA and 505 MCAT. I got two DO acceptances and I'm not a URM. You'll be more than fine for DO and I think you'll have a shot at some MD schools as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Shoot for mid-tier schools, your state schools, HBCUs, and all DO schools. GPA and MCAT are low for MD but you have killer ECs and URM status so the MD schools might show you some love. You're a fine DO applicant.
Thank you so much for your insight! It reframes how I'll approach this next application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.1 GPA and 505 MCAT. I got two DO acceptances and I'm not a URM. You'll be more than fine for DO and I think you'll have a shot at some MD schools as well.
I appreciate your thoughts! It helps a lot.