What are my chances at MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances

• Should I give up

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Do I have a chance

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

medinterrupted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help, went to community college because I was in the hospital Got a 2.85 gpa not because I didn't understand the courses but personal issues, hospital and family issues going wrong then
3.0 first bachelors in biology
3.8-4.0 second bachelors biochemistry
If I get a masters in biochemistry with 3.8-4.0 gpa
High mcat score
Research exprience
Lots of volunteer work 1000+ hours
Good letters of recommendation
Part time job
Could I still get into an MD program ? I don't want to give up I need advice on anything else I could do to boost my chances please !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Please help, went to community college because I was in the hospital Got a 2.85 gpa not because I didn't understand the courses but personal issues, hospital and family issues going wrong then
3.0 first bachelors in biology
3.8-4.0 second bachelors biochemistry
High mcat score
Research exprience
Part time job
Could I still get into an MD program ? I don't want to give up I need advice on anything else I could do to boost my chances please !!!
Probably should have posted in the What Are My Chances forum but at the moment, MD isn't looking good but DO could be a solid option if you improve enough. I'm a bit confused about your GPA, can you break it down by institution and list your total cumulative and science GPAs? There's a lot of "ifs" in your post so just list what you've actually done so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do Masters unless you started already.
Your overall undergrad GPA would be more useful to know.

I did a bachelors in biology with a 3.0 gpa And a send bachelors in biochemistry with right now a 3.8 I'm finishing that one this semester
My science gpa for the first one was a 3.2 and the second bachelors is basically a 3.8 also I guess
I was thinking of doing s masters since my first gpa was so bad

I did a bachelors in biology with a 3.0 gpa And a send bachelors in biochemistry with right now a 3.8 I'm finishing that one this semester
My science gpa for the first one was a 3.2 and the second bachelors is basically a 3.8 also I guess
I was thinking of doing s masters since my first gpa was so bad
Yes but how many credit hours did you complete with the 3.0/3.2 bachelor's vs the 3.8/3.8 bachelor's? Because you probably didn't retake gen eds for the second bachelor's so they would be weighted un equally. And where does that CC GPA fit into all of this? A Master's will do nothing, go for an SMP with linkage into a program.

What is your exact MCAT score?

OP hasn't taken it. Also OP you might want to consider that getting a high GPA is considered to be easier than getting a high MCAT score...

120 credit hours for the 3.0/3.2
45 credit hours for the 3.8/3.8
So you should have something like a 3.2 total and 3.3-3.4 science. At this point, re-take any C/D/F coursework you had, aim for 28+ MCAT and apply to DO schools. Unless you score very high on the MCAT and broaden your activities significantly, I don't think you'll have much luck with MD.

High mcat score
Research exprience
Part time job
Could I still get into an MD program?

OP hasn't taken it. Also OP you might want to consider that getting a high GPA is considered to be easier than getting a high MCAT score...

Missed the hidden if. Its largely a hypothetical case because OP doesnt have the high MCAT, research, volunteer work etc (unless the if only refers to the MCAT).

OP, you should focus on DO schools and use their grade replacement policy. MD schools are out of reach unless you do an SMP (after you get your GPA close to a 3.3-3.5) and nail it. Much easier said than done so plan accordingly. Also aim to score about a 505 to be competitive for DO

Agree, but if OP is not from CA, then state MD school(s), if any, would also be worth a shot.

Missed the hidden if. Its largely a hypothetical case because OP doesnt have the high MCAT, research, volunteer work etc (unless the if only refers to the MCAT).

OP, you should focus on DO schools and use their grade replacement policy. MD schools are out of reach unless you do an SMP (after you get your GPA close to a 3.3-3.5) and nail it. Much easier said than done so plan accordingly. Also aim to score about a 505 to be competitive for DO

Reactions: 1 user
How can o broaden my extracurriculars anymore, if you have any suggestions?