What are my chances at physical therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cum gpa is a 3.04 and a sci gpa of 2.8 in biopsychology. Took alot of the hard sciences like microbio, anatomy, physio etc... Worked in a physical therapy office as a volunteer/assistant, have decent amount of hours. I plan on taking the GRE soon and have lots of time to study for it, so will study really hard for it. I plan on applying this cycle. I have decent amount of money saved up, so am willing to apply to alot of schools and willing to travel anywhere for school in the US.
Any programs I should look into that I meet the requirements for?

Members don't see this ad.

My cum gpa is a 3.04 and a sci gpa of 2.8 in biopsychology. Took alot of the hard sciences like microbio, anatomy, physio etc... Worked in a physical therapy office as a volunteer/assistant, have decent amount of hours. I plan on taking the GRE soon and have lots of time to study for it, so will study really hard for it. I plan on applying this cycle. I have decent amount of money saved up, so am willing to apply to alot of schools and willing to travel anywhere for school in the US.
Pretty slim. Most schools if not all require a minimum science GPA of 3.0. And even that's a low. 3.3-4.0 is needed. You were pre dental and then you switched. Physical Therapy school is probably more competitive to get into or at least just as hard.

You need more than just a lot of observation hours, you also need in a variety of settings. I suggest pushing off applying and instead use that money to start retaking pre-reqs that you haven't done well in. Then look at schools that look at last 60 hours or take your best pre-req grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more than just a lot of observation hours, you also need in a variety of settings. I suggest pushing off applying and instead use that money to start retaking pre-reqs that you haven't done well in. Then look at schools that look at last 60 hours or take your best pre-req grade.

You can retake a class even if it is a C or above? I don't think I am gonna spend that money on retaking. I'm going to apply the next cycle, do well on gre, apply broadly. If I don't get in then I will consider.

Apply next cycle. Focus on nailing the GRE right now, and start preparing for next cycle since most deadlines have passed. PTCAS is your friend - spend all the time you can combing through program requirements if you really will move anywhere in the US. Don't be afraid to call a program if you're unsure on a requirement.

Use the time before next cycle to observe at least 15 hours (more if you can) in a couple of different settings than the one you worked in. You need to make sure every other part of your application is strong.
Good luck!

You can retake a class even if it is a C or above? I don't think I am gonna spend that money on retaking. I'm going to apply the next cycle, do well on gre, apply broadly. If I don't get in then I will consider.

Yes you can, but it also depends on the policy at the individual school you took it at. Doing well on the GRE is important, but I'm not sure how much you can raise your GPA since i don't know how many hours you've taken and how many you have left. It sounds like you are almost done though and the very bare minimum for your GPA is a 3.0.

I was in a similar situation. After a lot of tough love (i.e. Rejections) I bit the bullet and went back and retook everything at a community college. You will have a very tough time until you bring up your GPA, no matter how awesome your GRE scores are.

Speaking from experience, cumulative GPA was a 3.17 upon graduation from undergrad. Spent a year retaking various prereq courses at community college. This bumped my cumulative GPA to about 3.27, but a 3.54 considering the higher grade. I was not accepted into any program my 1st time applying, second time I was wait listed and finally I have been accepted (3rd time is the charm).
Also, I worked full time as a rehab aide, both in inpatient and outpatient during that year.