what are my chances at the Big 4? including AUA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KBPRO86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gpa: 2.84
Sgpa: 2.76
Mcat: 27p

Members don't see this ad.

Big four alright chance you should apply AUA of course way good enough.

As long as you have good reasons for your sub-3.0 GPA then you should be good to go. Although SGU might be a bit more difficult if the rumors about tougher admissions are true.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have good reasons for your sub-3.0 GPA then you should be good to go. Although SGU might be a bit more difficult if the rumors about tougher admissions are true.
What if am able to raise my MCAT to a 32-36+ range...i took the MCAT in december, with limited studying and got my 27P, if i take it in April and raise it to like 32-36 range, would i have to worry about getting into the caribbean? i really want to go to medical school, and the U.S is not an option since i dont want to do any postbacc or Master's program.

What if am able to raise my MCAT to a 32-36+ range...i took the MCAT in december, with limited studying and got my 27P, if i take it in April and raise it to like 32-36 range, would i have to worry about getting into the caribbean? i really want to go to medical school, and the U.S is not an option since i dont want to do any postbacc or Master's program.
I wouldn't do all that work to go to these schools, the stats are good enough as they are............................

I wouldn't do all that work to go to these schools, the stats are good enough as they are............................

I agree. You stats should be just fine for these schools. Just present yourself well in the interviews and personal statements.

why is AUA not considered as a top caribbean school? i mean why is not at the same level as the big 4? i'm trying to assess the strengths/weaknesses of the different schools, so any input would be helpful.

why is AUA not considered as a top caribbean school? i mean why is not at the same level as the big 4? i'm trying to assess the strengths/weaknesses of the different schools, so any input would be helpful.

Research is not asking questions on the board. It involves reading all of the posts and looking through the school's websites...but I digress

AUA graduates cannot be licensed in all 50 states. Therefore it is not equal to the 4 schools that can be licensed in all 50 states.

What are the big 4 again? I know SGU is one...what are the other 3? SABA? Ross?

I was wondering the same - what are the big four of the Caribbean? SABA, Ross, SGU, and AUC?

I was wondering the same - what are the big four of the Caribbean? SABA, Ross, SGU, and AUC?

It doesn't matter if it is a big four or small four when you graduate you will all be in the same stack. All US grads are going to look down on Caribb Grads. and residency, rotations, matches, and etc... will suck badly. Of course unless your step is 250 or above and you have big time connections.

It doesn't matter if it is a big four or small four when you graduate you will all be in the same stack. All US grads are going to look down on Caribb Grads. and residency, rotations, matches, and etc... will suck badly. Of course unless your step is 250 or above and you have big time connections.

Same stack?:laugh:

Wrong.:thumbdown:

The stack with the four 50 state schools can practice in California (and others) states that the other stack cannot.

Don't reply if it is with false information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong.:thumbdown:

The stack with the four 50 state schools can practice in California (and others) states that the other stack cannot.

Don't reply if it is with false information.

are you going to practice in all 50 states???? I really dont think so. And no it is not with false information that US grads look down on carrib grads and it is far from the truth that caribb grads have the same opportunity as a us grads. And why do you care about practicing in Tx when you want to practice in Ohio?? So no it doesn;t matter where you are from if you graduated from a caribbean school you and everyone else that is from the caribb will be ending up on the same route.

sgu, ross, auc, saba ... generally in that order.

are you going to practice in all 50 states???? I really dont think so.

You can lie to yourself if you want but keep the rest of us out of your imaginary world where someone does not want the freedom to work in any state that you so choose.

And no it is not with false information that US grads look down on carrib grads and it is far from the truth that caribb grads have the same opportunity as a us grads.

Who are you talking to, corky? I never said any of that.

And why do you care about practicing in Tx when you want to practice in Ohio??

Nobody cares but you. If you haven't noticed the world does not revolve around you and some people want to practice in TX or CA. :laugh:

So no it doesn;t matter where you are from if you graduated from a caribbean school you and everyone else that is from the caribb will be ending up on the same route.

WRONG! It does matter if it is not YOU! LOL

If someone does not go to the 50 state schools they will NOT end up in California et al. Period. That's a fact (and not the same place in case you have issues with geography).

Gpa: 2.84
Sgpa: 2.76
Mcat: 27p
Call SGU, Ross and AUC and talk to a counselor instead of trusting a public forum. Those will most likely get you in AUA. However, what you need to consider is not getting in any old medical school but what these schools bring to the plate for you SGU has by far the best island school clinicals, followed by AUC and Ross.

This will be very important during the match!!! AUA is pretty much unproven with their first grads to be in the 2007 match. Know one or two of the grads matched. Questions is where and how competitive the residencies are? With the match being more competitive this year (see link and read it yourself)

http://www.nrmp.org/2007pressrelease.pdf

Do you want a residency where you repeat the same thing over day after day or you are groomed and trained? That is what you pay the big bucks for.

You can lie to yourself if you want but keep the rest of us out of your imaginary world where someone does not want the freedom to work in any state that you so choose.

Who are you talking to, corky? I never said any of that.

Nobody cares but you. If you haven't noticed the world does not revolve around you and some people want to practice in TX or CA. :laugh:

WRONG! It does matter if it is not YOU! LOL

If someone does not go to the 50 state schools they will NOT end up in California et al. Period. That's a fact (and not the same place in case you have issues with geography).

You are so right for someone that is not even a caribbean graduate. are you still stuck in Canada or are you finally a medical student?? You sure know it all .

You are so right for someone that is not even a caribbean graduate. are you still stuck in Canada or are you finally a medical student?? You sure know it all .

As usual, when people cannot respond to a post, they become frustrated and try to get personal.:laugh:

As usual, when people cannot respond to a post, they become frustrated and try to get personal.:laugh:

WOW no wonder you went to McGIll and didn't even get into an LCME school. At least you claimed to be a grad from there.

WOW no wonder you went to McGIll and didn't even get into an LCME school. At least you claimed to be a grad from there.

Wow, good comeback..lol

It only took you three days to come up with that jewel.:laugh: :thumbup:

you're right I am lame that's why everyone is laughing at me because I think I know everything.

haha, what was this thread about again??

I am new to this. I am posting my question everywhere and I have not had anybody replying to my threads so I can have any idea about my chances. Please someone who knows about the island schools give me an idea.
35y
3.1gpa overall
3.5 BCPM
27P Mact
Registered Nurse

I am new to this. I am posting my question everywhere and I have not had anybody replying to my threads so I can have any idea about my chances. Please someone who knows about the island schools give me an idea.
35y
3.1gpa overall
3.5 BCPM
27P Mact
Registered Nurse

Your stats seem fine for SGU, AUC, and Ross. They're right on par with the avg. Stats for each of the schools and I'm sure with your RN experience you'll have decent LORs and a good personal statement. So ... apply. Also, this site might be a little better geared toward Carib questions. That is if you haven't checked it out already: www.valuemd.com

are you going to practice in all 50 states???? I really dont think so. And no it is not with false information that US grads look down on carrib grads and it is far from the truth that caribb grads have the same opportunity as a us grads. And why do you care about practicing in Tx when you want to practice in Ohio?? So no it doesn;t matter where you are from if you graduated from a caribbean school you and everyone else that is from the caribb will be ending up on the same route.

The difference is in the reputation and alumni networks of the schools. You'll still find people that will bunch all Caribbean schools together, but you'll also find people that have heard of your school and have worked with graduates from your school. Yes, it's ultimately on an individual basis whether you're a good doctor or not, but there is a difference.

More so, it's not where you're from, but where you're going. If you already graduated from one of the other schools and are successful, then congratulations and a lot of the issues don't really matter.

But if you're a premed student looking for a medical school, there are a lot of disadvantages from some of the other schools. Why would you put yourself in that position if given the chance? Medical school is hard enough as it is, Caribbean medical school is even harder, and a non-big 4 school is the bottom of the bunch.

10 years from now I want to be practicing back in CA, so the others aren't an option for me.