what are my chances at this postbac?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by airwolfrocks999, May 10, 2008.

1. airwolfrocks999

Hello again. I've posted here before regarding a similiar thread. For those that don't recall or know, I'm currently a dentist who wants to go to medical school ( US allopathic only ) really badly.

My stats are concisely:
    BS degree at UW-Madison, 2.9 gpa
    DDS from New York University, 2.8 gpa
    currently in a general dentistry residency at an Ivy League medical center ( name undisclosed for privacy purposes ), due to be completed in one month

I have some specific questions:
    1) Would Georgetown's SMP or Drexel's postbac program suit me? Can anyone recommend me a good postbac for someone in my circumstances?

2) What MINIMUM MCAT score should I be trying to attain? ( assuming that I apply with my CURRENT stats )

3) I intend to be single for the rest of my life. I can live anywhere. What US state is best for me to establish residency?

4) Suppose I work as a clinical instructor in dentistry at a university that has a medical school. Would this help me noticeably?

Honest and detailed feedback would be appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nontrdgsbuiucmd

Medical Student
    Regardless of MCAT, GPA will likely be a major issue at a number of schools, take a look at the current (just went on sale) MSAR at GPA statistics for accepted students' GPAs at the 10%/90% level to see what GPA/MCAT scores are competitive. I learned the hard way on how schools really look at this; I'm a reapplicant due primarily to 1 low (6) MCAT section (overall GPA/Science GPA/other 3 MCAT sections were at or above averages for most schools' matriculants, personal statement & LORs strong per a number of schools, ECs were old, however). Takeaway is that schools that have to screen out 3/4 of 5,000 applicants often take a first glance based only on gpa/MCAT.

I'd heard some Post bacc schools (Loyola I believe?) require a certain GPA/MCAT score to qualify, depending on what this score is, a few undergraduate courses may be required before enrolling/applying to a post-bacc to get your GPA up to the required level.

Suggestion would be to look at how many courses would be needed to pull GPA up a bit.. again I'd look at the MSAR printed data, then look at what your GPA would be if you pulled a 3.75 or so on post-bacc courses.

State schools would be the easiest to get into if you were to relocate, I'd take a look at Illinois, Southern Illinois University is only open to IL residents, UIC is one of the largest med schools in the country & takes around 70% in-state, Rush & Rosalind Franklin (from what I've seen on in-state versus out-of-state applicants & matriculants) tend toward in-state students also. Northwestern & U of Chicago are a bit tougher, residency would hold less pull there. Good luck!