Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MD What are my chances? Average stats, IA, ORM, Re-Applicant

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by anotherpremed1, Aug 25, 2015.

1. anotherpremed1

I will try to be concise. South Asian ORM, FL Resident. I have a displayed interest and commitment to serving under-served populations, and I am not SES disadvantaged.

I was arrested for a marijuana related misdemeanor over 3 years ago. The charges were dropped and expunged (no convictions, clean background check), but I received a corresponding conduct violation IA.

I applied last cycle with a GPA between 3.65 - 3.75 and MCAT between 31-34 (all subsections 10+). Muddled stats for the sake of anonymity, but I had a LizzyM of 69. I had minimal clinical experience, zero shadowing, some clinical research, decent volunteering. Unsurprisingly, I did not receive any interviews.

After that experience, I found SDN and began lurking hardcore. Coupled with my anemic application, I also realized that my school list was poorly chosen, having applied to only 18 schools, half being reaches and only applying to 1 of my state schools (as a FL resident... terrible I know :thumbup:).

After learning from SDN and getting a real feel for what medical school admissions are all about, I now know that

Now:

Re-applying with the same MCAT, and higher GPA. LizzyM now 70-71. My app has improved significantly (into competitiveness, I would hope) with:

- clinical experience (200 hours on AMCAS, projected 400 by matriculation, none of these hours include hours from recent employment in a hospital setting)
    - 200 hours shadowing
    - bench research (very aggressive involvement, very in depth).

I also continued volunteering. Everything is submitted and I am complete at >30 schools, much more realistic. I've been rejected by one of my reaches already (Keck, not surprised).

So anyway, here is what I am asking: I feel like I have fairly average stats compared to global matriculant stats. But at the same time, I am an undesirable ORM, with an IA, however old.

As I see people receive II with the same stats as me, but being marked complete way later, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting passed over at every school that has started reviewing applications. I know that @gonnif probably thinks that I need to be tranquilized, and maybe he is right. But I was still hoping to get some feedback from the sages of SDN. Has my IA killed my chances as an already borderline ORM applicant? Do I have any chance at an acceptance into medical school?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, my plan (if this cycle goes south) is to continue employment at the hospital, continue volunteering and research, and retake my MCAT.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gonnif

gonnif Only 747 Days Until Next Presidential Election
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Just mildly sedated.

sovereign0 likes this.
  4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I suggest:

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

MCW

St. Louis U

WVU

Jefferson

Creighton

Tulane

Loyola

U Miami

Wake Forest

EVMS

VCU

Oakland-B

Western MI

Any DO program, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

ALL FL schools

5. anotherpremed1

This is my exact list with a few minor changes, this is reassuring. How much do you believe my IA and ORM status will hurt me? I just feel that every school I apply to has 50 applications just like mine from an ORM with better stats and no IA...

6. gonnif

Non-Student
    That would be an impossible metric to calculate nor would it do anything other than drive your bouncing around the room. Aint nothing goona change the realty of what is happening now. Just hang on and try not to wet your pants

Goro and anotherpremed1 like this.
  7. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    These IAs are very common, and Adcom members were once young and stupid too. ORM status is irrelevant. Actually, if you're Asian, there's a greater likelihood that you'll be accepted, given that Asians make up 1/3rd of all med school classes but are only some 4% or so of the US population.

8. anotherpremed1

Golden advice.

...no pun intended.

It just exacerbates my neuroticism that my IA has sunk me as I see people with similar stats get interview offers while I get passed over.

9. gonnif

Non-Student
    As long as you dont shower me with praise.

sovereign0 likes this.
  10. anotherpremed1

That might be the first time I've heard someone say that being Asian helps your odds of getting an acceptance, but nevertheless the perspective you have provided helps. Thank you!

I feel dirty now

11. gonnif

Non-Student
    Dont get pissed off about it

cardzkp, Goro and sovereign0 like this.
  12. sovereign0

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If they do, urine a lot of trouble...

#11 sovereign0, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Goro likes this.
  13. gonnif

Non-Student
    I think its time to stop this stream of thought and flush this thread.

GrapesofRath and Goro like this.
  14. Banco

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You will be ok with a good list.

15. OpieFromMayberry

2+ Year Member

Did you talk to the Dean about removing the IA from your record? It doesn't seem fair that if the State of Florida dismissed and expunged your record that you will still be penalized by having to disclose the IA.