What are my chances & away advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaSmurphy777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Hoping I can get some feedback on a WAMC. I love Texas and would like to stay here but I have lived across the US and would be fine moving. Would it hurt my chances of matching if I did my single away in Texas? Should I consider an away elsewhere? Also when do y'all think I should take step 2, before/after app submission?

Medical school: Texas MD

STEP1: 247

Pre-clinical grades: top third

Clinicals:
Medicine: Honors
Surgery: Honors
Emergency Med: Honors
Neurology: Honors
Pediatrics: Honors
OB/GYN: Honors
Psychiatry: in progress
Family Med: tell y'all next month

Research:
1 Non Peer Reviewed Article
1 Peer Reviewed Abstract 3rd author
2 other research experiences non Urology, hopefully will get 1 3rd author abstract, the other will likely publish after I graduate.
1 presentation

No Urology research thus far.

EC:
Average volunteerism
Tutor
Veteran
GHHS nominee, find out sometime before app submission.

Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody! Hoping I can get some feedback on a WAMC. I love Texas and would like to stay here but I have lived across the US and would be fine moving. Would it hurt my chances of matching if I did my single away in Texas? Should I consider an away elsewhere? Also when do y'all think I should take step 2, before/after app submission?

Medical school: Texas MD

STEP1: 247

Pre-clinical grades: top third

Clinicals:
Medicine: Honors
Surgery: Honors
Emergency Med: Honors
Neurology: Honors
Pediatrics: Honors
OB/GYN: Honors
Psychiatry: in progress
Family Med: tell y'all next month

Research:
1 Non Peer Reviewed Article
1 Peer Reviewed Abstract 3rd author
2 other research experiences non Urology, hopefully will get 1 3rd author abstract, the other will likely publish after I graduate.
1 presentation

No Urology research thus far.

EC:
Average volunteerism
Tutor
Veteran
GHHS nominee, find out sometime before app submission.

Thanks y'all!

Overall you have the app of someone with a very good chance of matching but likely on the lower to mid end of programs. Step1 is slightly above average, grades are good, research somewhat below average. The good news is that urology programs usually provide great training across the board.

I would apply broadly but focus my away on mid tier programs in your desired geographic areas. I would avoid the big research powerhouses where your research would be more limiting. Keep in mind that programs in the middle of the country are relatively less competitive compared to the quality of training (often great training) compared to the coastal programs due to where most applicants want to live. If you’re fine with Texas or Midwest, I’d do my away at some place like UTSA, Texas tech, Oklahoma, Case western, etc.

Reactions: 1 users