What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlavivirusProtease

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

3rd year medical student, very interested in Urology. I want to stay in the north east, preferably New York. I'm wondering what my chances are.

Medical School: Lower-mid tier, but in New York. We have a home Uro program and a good history of students matching into Urology (100% over the last 3-4 years)

Step 1: 256

Preclinical Grades: Average

Rotation Grades (In the order they were taken):
Neurology: Honors
OB/GYN: Honors
Medicine: High Pass
Surgery: High Pass
Family Medicine: Pass
Psychiatry: Pass
Pediatrics: Pending

Research:
1 Abstract Submitted to the AUA 2021
2 Urology Retrospective reviews, 1 first author, one second author, in submission but likely to be accepted
3 Urology Case reports, one 1st author, one 2nd author, one 3rd author (3rd Author paper is accepted, 1st and 2nd author papers are in submission)
Will be starting another retrospective review in Urology, hoping to publish that as well
3 Posters, 1 Neurosurgery, 2 Plastic Surgery
2 Presentations, both neurosurgery
Some grand rounds presentations of my research

ECs:
Student Government 1st year of medical school
President of 3-4 clubs/interest groups on campus
Vice president of 1 interest group on campus
Treasurer of 1 club on campus
Volunteer giving COVID vaccines

Letters of Recommendation (Not yet acquired):
1. Chair of Urology at my home program - (We have good rapport with each other, he knows me pretty well, I think he'll write me a strong letter)
2. PD of Urology residency at my home program (We know each other, I've been to some of his cases, he sees me at grand rounds every week)
3. Associate PD of Urology residency at my home program (He is the one I've done all my Urology research with, he really likes me, I know he'll write me an amazing letter)
4. Letter from my away rotation, wherever that may be.

Wondering what my odds are. I think everything is pretty good except for my Pre-clinical grades and some of my rotation grades (I am happy I honored OB/GYN, but I did not honor medicine and Surgery which bother me). Much of my research was submitted within the last month, so I'm hoping it gets accepted within the next few weeks, I was told the retrospective reviews are relatively groundbreaking, they deal with a new indication for a currently used treatment and the results look good. I think the biggest strength is my Step score.

Please let me know what you think! I'm very appreciative in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks great! Just add some hobbies and interests and do well (act normal) on your away rotations!

Application is looking strong. Would consider doing 2+ aways to improve your chances at a place you really want to go and also to get some letters from outside your institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Application is looking strong. Would consider doing 2+ aways to improve your chances at a place you really want to go and also to get some letters from outside your institution.
I wanted to, unfortunately everyone is capped at 1 away this year. If you're from the New York area do you have any recommendations on what programs would be good to do an away in?

I wanted to, unfortunately everyone is capped at 1 away this year. If you're from the New York area do you have any recommendations on what programs would be good to do an away in?

I am from NY area orginally, but it's been over 10 years now since I was doing aways, so others might have better advice. When I was a student I remember Sinai took all comers and had like 15+ kids rotate, so that was one to avoid. Might suggest thinking outside the box and look at the Philly or NJ programs. Training in NYC is really painful in terms of transportation, call, and finances, and I wasn't very interested in those places.

To be honest I think the NYC training programs aren't great (for hands on operating at least). There's just so much competition it is hard for programs to give you much autonomy when patients can just choose to go to the other academic center 20 blocks away, though Cornell and Columbia are great research institutions. For example one of the famous robotic surgeons I know residents don't operate in his cases yet take care of his patients, which is unacceptable IMO. If you are set on NYC or on being a researcher/chairperson, I think Cornell is the best option. If you want to stay in the northeast, then places like Syracuse, Rochester, NS-LIJ, Penn, Lahey, Pitt, Buffalo, etc. are better options.

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest I think the NYC training programs aren't great (for hands on operating at least). There's just so much competition it is hard for programs to give you much autonomy when patients can just choose to go to the other academic center 20 blocks away, though Cornell and Columbia are great research institutions. For example one of the famous robotic surgeons I know residents don't operate in his cases yet take care of his patients, which is unacceptable IMO. If you are set on NYC or on being a researcher/chairperson, I think Cornell is the best option. If you want to stay in the northeast, then places like Syracuse, Rochester, NS-LIJ, Penn, Lahey, Pitt, Buffalo, etc. are better options.

Agree with you. NYC is just not a great place to train, in my opinion. You will be tortured by the cost and quality of life issues, and meanwhile have no time to enjoy the good parts of the city. Good list of programs. Would also consider: Rutgers, UConn, Yale, Jefferson, Temple.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

3rd year medical student, very interested in Urology. I want to stay in the north east, preferably New York. I'm wondering what my chances are.

Medical School: Lower-mid tier, but in New York. We have a home Uro program and a good history of students matching into Urology (100% over the last 3-4 years)

Step 1: 256

Preclinical Grades: Average

Rotation Grades (In the order they were taken):
Neurology: Honors
OB/GYN: Honors
Medicine: High Pass
Surgery: High Pass
Family Medicine: Pass
Psychiatry: Pass
Pediatrics: Pending

Research:
1 Abstract Submitted to the AUA 2021
2 Urology Retrospective reviews, 1 first author, one second author, in submission but likely to be accepted
3 Urology Case reports, one 1st author, one 2nd author, one 3rd author (3rd Author paper is accepted, 1st and 2nd author papers are in submission)
Will be starting another retrospective review in Urology, hoping to publish that as well
3 Posters, 1 Neurosurgery, 2 Plastic Surgery
2 Presentations, both neurosurgery
Some grand rounds presentations of my research

ECs:
Student Government 1st year of medical school
President of 3-4 clubs/interest groups on campus
Vice president of 1 interest group on campus
Treasurer of 1 club on campus
Volunteer giving COVID vaccines

Letters of Recommendation (Not yet acquired):
1. Chair of Urology at my home program - (We have good rapport with each other, he knows me pretty well, I think he'll write me a strong letter)
2. PD of Urology residency at my home program (We know each other, I've been to some of his cases, he sees me at grand rounds every week)
3. Associate PD of Urology residency at my home program (He is the one I've done all my Urology research with, he really likes me, I know he'll write me an amazing letter)
4. Letter from my away rotation, wherever that may be.

Wondering what my odds are. I think everything is pretty good except for my Pre-clinical grades and some of my rotation grades (I am happy I honored OB/GYN, but I did not honor medicine and Surgery which bother me). Much of my research was submitted within the last month, so I'm hoping it gets accepted within the next few weeks, I was told the retrospective reviews are relatively groundbreaking, they deal with a new indication for a currently used treatment and the results look good. I think the biggest strength is my Step score.

Please let me know what you think! I'm very appreciative in advance
You are far better than a lot of people who are entitled associate professors in Turkey. I hope you match into the urology program. You are great :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: