DO What are my chances? Be brutally honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nims8351q

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m planning on hitting submit tomorrow afternoon (I know kind late?!). All feedback is appreciated! Year in school: 1 year after graduating (spent the last year retaking classes at local University)

Country/state of residence: Virginia, USA

Schools to which you are applying: (only DO) As of now my list is: WVSOM, VCOM-VA (but I’ll apply to all three I believe), both LECOMs, LMU-DCOM, KYCOM, KCU-COM (iffy on this one), CUSOM, NSU-COM, DMU-COM, TunCOM, ACOM, LUCOM (Iffy!). Considering Touro-CA?

Cumulative GPA: 3.3 Science GPA: 3.21

MCAT Scores: 506, (124,127,127,128) … worried about the sub 125 in C/P

Research: None. :(

Volunteering (clinical) – 3 day event with Remote Area medical (24 hours)

Physician shadowing – NONE*, however I have scheduled shadowing with a DO from 9/5-9/8. Should be about 24 hours and I will be getting a letter (will have to send it as a late update/ DO physician letter (for schools that require one).

Non-clinical volunteering – Coached a youth (U12) soccer team this past Fall/Spring and coached a high school house basketball team in the winter.

Extracurricular activities – Founder and club president (for 3 years) of Donate Life Club (organ donation promotion/education club). Intramural ultimate Frisbee for 2 seasons.

Employment history – Worked at Jimmy Johns part-time (bike delivery boy) for 6 months during freshman year. Worked at UPS store as seasonal employee during winter rushes ( ~1 month/yr) for 2 years. Worked 7 months as a part-time scribe at an outpatient cardiology clinic this past year from July-Jan (~612 hrs).

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N

Specialty of interest: Primary care! Especially rural medicine.

Interest in rural health (y/n): Heck yea!

About Me: I have pretty weak writing skills so I'm nervous that this will limit me in terms of personal statements. I’m having it reviewed by multiple people so hopefully that will help. I’m also “white” but more specifically my parents are first generation immigrants from Iran (possible topic for diversity secondaries). I’m fluent in Farsi. I know my application is sub-par compared to the average DO applicant. I’ve already messed up “applying early,” I just want to be sure I apply broadly enough now. Any recommendations/school suggestions/ odds of getting in is appreciated. Be brutally honest, I can take it!

Best,
Nims

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have some great work and non-clinical volunteer/club experience, but I might suggest taking another year off before you apply to get other types of experience, such as research, but especially for clinical experiences, because 24 hours does not sound sufficient to convince medical schools that you have an interest in medicine.

I think a 506 is ok for DO, but you're right about the CARS being a little worrisome, so if you took another year off, you could study and re-take the MCAT.

I was thinking the above also until I saw you have 600 hours as a scribe. Perhaps apply this year and hopefully you get in and if not then you could possibly retake the MCAT and/or retake some classes for DO grade replacement if your GPA is due to any C/D/F grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback!

I have already retaken 3 classes this past year. The only classes left to retake are Chem 101 and a lower level Biology class. I'll definitely retake the MCAT in 2017 if I have no luck this cycle. Do you have specific suggestions regarding my school list? (I'm just really really hoping to get in this cycle!)

The legend himself!! Haha, thanks Goro. Appreciate the advice.