what are my chances? cGPA 3.1, MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yas710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior, middle eastern background, first generation student to even graduate high school in my family. (my father dropped out of sophomore year in high school back in the 80s, mother didn't even finish elementary school back overseas)...
I attend a pretty prestigious university (Marquette), or at least I hope i'm paying 40 grand a year for something! with a cGPA of 3.1. haven't really looked into my sGPA as that has been improving as well. for the MCAT, haven't decided exactly when to take it, maybe June, or i might end up taking a gap year off so i'm thinking of taking it in a year, while retaking some courses. I have some ec's, such as over +1500 hours of emergency room scribing, community volunteering (such as organizing events, working as security, helping with conventions....all of this is PURELY volunteering, not paid) research that i just started this semester, maybe a summer research as well, and other minor volunteering that i cannot recall at the moment. I've had a real rough freshmen year, i felt that i was not prepared for college as i felt as an outlier. but then eventually, i found my niche. Freshmen year GPA 2.2 :scared: , then 2.8, then after that, i've been on an upward trend, with my last semester's gpa of 3.4. i'm hoping to pull a high GPA this semester, hopefully 3.8. does this upward trend say anything to med schools? or would they just ignore me? I do feel that scribing and other circumstances have affected my grades, so that is why i decided to quit scribing in the soon future (2 weeks left). for some reason, i felt that scribing would be a key factor for med schools, but i'm afraid that with my GPA, i dont have a chance. I'm thinking any DO school, and if worse comes to worst, then one of the 3 US accredited Caribbean schools, such as AUC, Ross or St. George...
What are my chances? Can i even apply to some midwestern MD schools? I would love to either go to MCW or Madison (I'm a wisconsin resident)...then i'd probably apply to Michigan or IL schools.
Also, any tips on personal statements?
Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO is within reach if you do really well on the MCAT. Marquette is not a very prestigious school.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

DO is within reach if you do really well on the MCAT. Marquette is not a very prestigious school.

thank you for the encouragement. any suggestions on which DO schools in particular? such as the newer ones? I'm hoping for either Midwestern or Des Moines...Or it would be great to go to the East coast. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY. Born and raised there...then moved here several years ago. but i do miss the east coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Upward trends are always helpful, but sometimes the damage done early in one's career can't overcome a weak cGPA, which would get you autoscreened out of many programs.

i found my niche. Freshmen year GPA 2.2 :scared: , then 2.8, then after that, i've been on an upward trend, with my last semester's gpa of 3.4. i'm hoping to pull a high GPA this semester, hopefully 3.8. does this upward trend say anything to med schools? or would they just ignore me?

Get your cGPA and sGPA to > 3.2 and you'll get some interviews at DO schools.You're going to have to get to >3.5 to be competetive for MD schools. Rosy Franklin and Creighton might give you the most love of the midwestern MD programs. I do not see WI, MI or other IL schools in your future, unless you do some serious damage (34+) on the MCAT.

Caribbean? As long as you're breathing and can write a up-front tuition check, and you don't mind the up to 90% attrition rates, they'll take you.

I'm thinking any DO school, and if worse comes to worst, then one of the 3 US accredited Caribbean schools, such as AUC, Ross or St. George...
What are my chances? Can i even apply to some midwestern MD schools? I would love to either go to MCW or Madison (I'm a wisconsin resident)...then i'd probably apply to Michigan or IL schools.
.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of delaying my MCAT till August so that I can really rock it and probably apply to a MD school along with my senior year grades (that will hopefully be much better), rather than just doing DO (that's if I get accepted)...but then, I don't really know if taking a gap year is worth it or not. I can try volunteering, research or even more scribing. But idk...what're your tips SDN?

thank you for the encouragement. any suggestions on which DO schools in particular? such as the newer ones? I'm hoping for either Midwestern or Des Moines...Or it would be great to go to the East coast. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY. Born and raised there...then moved here several years ago. but i do miss the east coast.

If you have a C- in any prerequisite, CCOM is out. AZCOM is an MCAT school as far as I know. DMU is also one of the more competitive schools and you'll need a very good mcat to compensate for your gpa.

If you have a C- in any prerequisite, CCOM is out. AZCOM is an MCAT school as far as I know. DMU is also one of the more competitive schools and you'll need a very good mcat to compensate for your gpa.

This x1000. Unless you rock the MCAT chances at DMU/CCOM/AZCOM aren't great, those are competitive schools. If you are interested in that general region of the country look at KCUMB/KCOM too but those are still tough sells. Try to get a 28+ for a good shot. Use the AAMC diagnostic tests. If you can hit low 30s consistently you should be okay for a bare minimum 28 unless you really choke.

Apply broadly too.