What are my chances cGPA 3.8, sGPA3.77, 61-71% MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaPola19_MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to give me your honest opinion
This is where I stand:
Biology/History Double Major
3.8 cGPA
3.77 sGPA

June MCAT 61-71%
PS 62%-77%
CARS 28%-43%
Bio 72%-87%
Psy 81%-96%

EC-
-Neuroscience lab research for 3 years and presented my work at a conference upstate NY.
-Summer Undergraduate research program at CUNY.
- 2 Summer Undergraduate research programs at Memorial Sloan-Kettering.
-RA at Department of Pediatrics at NYU for 1 year.
-1 year fellowship at Colin Powell Center working with struggling HS and immigrant students - 1 year.
-Cofounded and vice-president of student immigrant club on campus with the purpose to raise awareness among school faculty and help change policies that would serve the need of these students- 2 years
-Served as a mentor for upcoming HS students to guide them through the college application process, scholarship application and others- 2 years.
-Volunteer at ED-7 months
-Volunteer tutoring elementary school children- 8 months.
-Work as a restaurant hostess- 1 year
- Work 1 summer teaching young children Spanish- 1 summer
- I currently have been working full time for 1 year as a research coordinator directly working with patients at a big hospital in NYC.

I was in my school's honors program so I was awarded various scholarships throughout college. I came to this country at the age of 11 so having gone through the whole assimilation and immigration process has made me particularly interested in working with immigrant populations. I know my MCAT score is horrible, especially CARS, this is the lowest I ever score in any exam. So I would appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

State-New York
I was born in Colombia.

I want to add I am more than ok applying to schools out-of-state. I don't have in-state preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
State-New York
I was born in Colombia.

I want to add I am more than ok applying to schools out-of-state. I don't have in-state preference.
South Americans are not generally considered UIM. Language skills are still appreciated, though.
You would be a good candidate for the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider mainlanders.
You might want to use the MSAR to make a preliminary list using a 27/28 MCAT as a guide.

Thanks for your reply. One more question will the CARS score screen me out automatically?
Schools that previously screened for verbal may still screen you out (depending on final score), but in this transition I would guess that it is somewhat less likely.