What are my chances?? *first post, very desperate*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdocTORofmed

Reaction score
Hey SDN!!
I’ve been browsing this forum for years now and finally decided to make an account so I can gauge my chances of getting accepted. I have applied early decision to my state school that I currently am an undergrad at. Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.96 (only received two B’s my first semester then 4.0 the rest)
sGPA: 3.93
MCAT: I find out next Tuesday (took on May 24th) but my practice FL’s are as follows FL1:505/FL2:508/FL3:512.
Research: over 300 hours and doing summer research currently
Shadowing: 50 hours
Volunteering: 30 clinical and around 30 non clinical (I know this is not a lot)
Tutoring: 144 hours
Work experience: I work two jobs and one is a TA position in a chemistry workshop
Other: I’m in a medical fraternity and a service fraternity
Things to consider: my father passed away last August, 10 years after receiving a heart transplant (which is the experience that made me want to go into medicine) and even after he passed, I still managed to go to school, work, do research, etc and still got a 4.0

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!! And if you need clarifications just ask!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think anyone can give you a confident answer on what your chances are, especially because applying early to one school is an irregular, very case-by-case situation.

People also can’t gauge well before you get your MCAT back. Were these 3rd party tests, like Kaplan? Or AAMC?

Assuming your score matches up with your trajectory, I’d say your stats will certainly not keep you out of your state school. That said, your volunteering is weak. Some state schools care more about that than others, and number of hours isn’t everything of course.

In sum: you certainly have a chance but it’s hard to get any more confident than that for an outside perspective. Did the school you’re applying to give you any insight? I hear they sometimes do when people apply in this way.

I don’t think anyone can give you a confident answer on what your chances are, especially because applying early to one school is an irregular, very case-by-case situation.

People also can’t gauge well before you get your MCAT back. Were these 3rd party tests, like Kaplan? Or AAMC?

Assuming your score matches up with your trajectory, I’d say your stats will certainly not keep you out of your state school. That said, your volunteering is weak. Some state schools care more about that than others, and number of hours isn’t everything of course.

In sum: you certainly have a chance but it’s hard to get any more confident than that for an outside perspective. Did the school you’re applying to give you any insight? I hear they sometimes do when people apply in this way.
I have talked to the admissions advisor and she said to shoot for around a 505 on the MCAT and that my extracurriculars were fine (although I did not mention the hours, nor did she ask). Those practice tests were the AAMC ones. I’m really hoping my lack of volunteering doesn’t ruin my chances, and I know EDP can be risky but it’s the only school I see myself going to for many different reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked to the admissions advisor and she said to shoot for around a 505 on the MCAT and that my extracurriculars were fine (although I did not mention the hours, nor did she ask). Those practice tests were the AAMC ones. I’m really hoping my lack of volunteering doesn’t ruin my chances, and I know EDP can be risky but it’s the only school I see myself going to for many different reasons.

That’s promising, given her feedback. Fingers crossed for your MCAT, and deep breaths. Not too much more people will be able to tell you on here for now.

In the mean time, I’d encourage you to get involved with some more volunteering if you can. I understand that might not be possible for you right now. However, if you don’t get in, it’ll be a great way to show how you’ve improved.

Finally, I’m sorry to hear about your father. Keep that head up

Reactions: 3 users
What state are you from?

Circle back to the admissions office after you get the MCAT to see if you would still be a suitable candidate for EDP. They will be able to give you a much better answer than any of us here.

Reactions: 1 user
Your volunteering is critically low. You should get at least 150 hours of clinical and non-clinical (preferably with underserved) before applying. Also, what URM group do you represent?

Edited - Just read that you already applied EDP

Your volunteering is critically low. You should get at least 150 hours of clinical and non-clinical (preferably with underserved) before applying. Also, what URM group do you represent?

I come from an economically disadvantaged and medically underserved population (Appalachia).

I am very surprised that a school would let you apply early decision without an MCAT.
You can submit the application before your MCAT scores come in. That’s what I did. I know applying ED is not what many recommend, but for my personal situation, I can only go to my state school. I am not interested in going anywhere else (As in, If I did not get in this cycle, I wouldn’t even apply anywhere else and just apply again next cycle).

You can submit the application before your MCAT scores come in. That’s what I did. I know applying ED is not what many recommend, but for my personal situation, I can only go to my state school. I am not interested in going anywhere else (As in, If I did not get in this cycle, I wouldn’t even apply anywhere else and just apply again next cycle).

Did you try to schedule a meeting with the admissions dean before submitting your application?

Fixating to this extent on one school is extraordinarily foolish, btw. Sometimes it works out, but if your end goal is to be a physician (rather than an alum of one particular medical school) then you should broaden your approach.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What URM group do you represent? Let us know how things work out. Your ECs are horribly low. It will be very interesting to see if the school cares. You said you talked to the admission advisor. Did she have your records? I’m sort of surprised they would have even talked about chances without your MCAT.

I come from an economically disadvantaged and medically underserved population (Appalachia).

This only really plays to your advantage if the school in question has identified rural and/or low SES applicants as being "value added." And the above poster is correct, it does not classify you as URM.

Did you try to schedule a meeting with the admissions dean before submitting your application?

Fixating to this extent on one school is extraordinarily foolish, btw. Sometimes it works out, but if your end goal is to be a physician (rather than an alum of one particular medical school) then you should broaden your approach.
Financially, I am not able to apply broadly. I am in the fee assistance program so yes, that does allow me to apply to many schools for free. However, taking into consideration the cost of traveling to interviews and secondaries, it is just not feasible. I also would prefer to be closer to my family (especially where my father just died not even a year ago). I also love the school and the campus and I have many support systems here. I hope that gives you more clarity, because you never truly know ones situation. Also, I have talked to admissions twice, met with my premed advisor countless times, and talked to people who got accepted and they have said the same things: shoot for around the 505 range and any better will help even more. Also, the admissions counselor even said that the core of their class is EDP. So I don’t really think it’s one of those schools where they only take extremely good applicants for ED.

Economically disadvantaged and medically underserved population =/= URM
That is my bad! I am not URM, but I am from an area that is medically underserved. I believe I got those mixed up, sorry for the confusion!

This only really plays to your advantage if the school in question has identified rural and/or low SES applicants as being "value added." And the above poster is correct, it does not classify you as URM.
I believe the schools do place value on those applicants as one of the mission statements is to serve regions such as Appalachia. And yes, I am not URM, I mistook what that meant. I was thinking medically underserved haha. My bad!

It's impossible to guess what your odds are at one particular school, because there's so much randomness in the admissions process. All I can say is that your volunteer hours are currently very low by the standards of any US MD program. If your application to UKY doesn't work out and you really want to stay in Kentucky, consider also applying to Louiseville (MD) and UP-KYCOM (DO). Best of luck.

What URM group do you represent? Let us know how things work out. Your ECs are horribly low. It will be very interesting to see if the school cares. You said you talked to the admission advisor. Did she have your records? I’m sort of surprised they would have even talked about chances without your MCAT.
We talked about my EC’s, and my GPA and grade trend. Since I hadn’t taken the MCAT yet, she gave me a minimal score to shoot for.

The tutoring I do is completely volunteer. I work in a learning center so we have set hours, but I do not get paid. That should count as volunteering? I even tutor when it’s not my designated time to be in there, because I enjoy it so much.

The tutoring I do is completely volunteer. I work in a learning center so we have set hours, but I do not get paid. That should count as volunteering? I even tutor when it’s not my designated time to be in there, because I enjoy it so much.
Your clinical volunteering is what is extremely low. It definitely counts as volunteering, but ADCOMS want you to get out of your comfort zone (homeless shelter, underserved communities, soup kitchen, etc.)

Your clinical volunteering is what is extremely low. It definitely counts as volunteering, but ADCOMS want you to get out of your comfort zone (homeless shelter, underserved communities, soup kitchen, etc.)
I did patient rounding at a local hospital, volunteered in the histology lab, and I also volunteer at a non-profit that bakes cakes for kids going through poverty or dealing with disabilities, terminal illnesses, etc. That in total is about 50 hours. Yes, more would be better. But I do plan on volunteering at the hospital more this summer as well as until I graduate (hopefully even into med school if I’m allowed). I guess it’s just been kinda hard working two jobs, doing research (circadian biology research nonetheless so i am in the lab very late most of the time), as well as dealing with grief from losing my dad. I am not using those things as excuses, but rather stating potential factors that could explain my lack of the more traditional volunteering. I will definitely try to do better in the future.

How many hours per week do you work for pay? I think low volunteering hours are entirely understandable if you need to spend significant time generating income.
It depends on the semester, but on average about 20 hours a week for paid work. I am attending college on entirely scholarships and grants (no loans yet, thank goodness). However, that only covers so much and there are tons of little expenses that can add up quickly, so I use the money I make through those jobs for those expenses. I also don’t get money from my family, since they just don’t have the money to give, so it is pretty critical that I have some source of income.

Hey SDN!!
I’ve been browsing this forum for years now and finally decided to make an account so I can gauge my chances of getting accepted. I have applied early decision to my state school that I currently am an undergrad at. Here are my stats:
MCAT: I find out next Tuesday (took on May 24th) but my practice FL’s are as follows FL1:505/FL2:508/FL3:512.
Work experience: I work two jobs and one is a TA position in a chemistry workshop
Things to consider: my father passed away last August, 10 years after receiving a heart transplant (which is the experience that made me want to go into medicine) and even after he passed, I still managed to go to school, work, do research, etc and still got a 4.0

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!! And if you need clarifications just ask!
Lethally low clinical hours.

Maybe you should start working on your clinical ECs and nonclinical volunteering right now. If you aren’t accepted EDP you will have stuff to share in updates to other schools later in the cycle. If you really aren’t going to apply anyplace else then you will be bettering your application for next year. You really do need to get out of your comfort zone and off campus. Whether you want to believe us or not, your lack of clinical hours is concerning. Perhaps drop the tutoring( since it is volunteer anyway) and find something clinical. Doing rounds, working in a histology lab and baking cakes is interesting I guess, but you really aren’t actively engaging face-to-face with the sick, injured or dying. These are the people you will be dealing with for the next 40+ years. Hopefully you’ll be accepted but if not reread this thread to get ideas of how to improve your application for next cycle.

Hey SDN!!

Sorry about your loss. Keep working hard.

Maybe you should start working on your clinical ECs and nonclinical volunteering right now. If you aren’t accepted EDP you will have stuff to share in updates to other schools later in the cycle. If you really aren’t going to apply anyplace else then you will be bettering your application for next year. You really do need to get out of your comfort zone and off campus. Whether you want to believe us or not, your lack of clinical hours is concerning. Perhaps drop the tutoring( since it is volunteer anyway) and find something clinical. Doing rounds, working in a histology lab and baking cakes is interesting I guess, but you really aren’t actively engaging face-to-face with the sick, injured or dying. These are the people you will be dealing with for the next 40+ years. Hopefully you’ll be accepted but if not reread this thread to get ideas of how to improve your application for next cycle.
Trust me, I have had my fair share of experiences with the sick and dying. Namely, my dad. Many times I had to care for him because he was too sick to get out of bed. I have been by his side through all his many, MANY hospital stays where he remained for weeks. I also would take him to lexington every week so that he could get his abdomen drained (he had cirrhosis of the liver along with other problems). I also unfortunately had to witness his death when he passed away in the hospital. That really takes a toll on a person, but I have learned and grown so much as a person and future physician because of him and my experiences caring for him.

Trust me, I have had my fair share of experiences with the sick and dying. Namely, my dad. Many times I had to care for him because he was too sick to get out of bed. I have been by his side through all his many, MANY hospital stays where he remained for weeks. I also would take him to lexington every week so that he could get his abdomen drained (he had cirrhosis of the liver along with other problems). I also unfortunately had to witness his death when he passed away in the hospital. That really takes a toll on a person, but I have learned and grown so much as a person and future physician because of him and my experiences caring for him.
Very sorry to hear about your loss. This will make for good material in secondary essays, but it is o=not clinical experience. As a good child, you're supposed to take care of your parents.