What are my chances for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschoi1991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying to dental school for the first time. I am currently an active duty soldier in the US Army (will be ending my service before the 2021 class starts). I am super anxious about my chances and wanted some feedback. Thank you all for your time!

Date of submission: 6/26/2020
Overall GPA: 3.35
Science GPA: 3.45
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.55
Postbacc GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24AA/23PAT/23QR/26RC/23Bio/26GC/23OC/24TS
State of Residence: Maryland. (Permanent address is California)

Undergrad Attended: University of California, San Diego (graudated in 2014)
Major: Biotechnology
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes (military)

Shadowing Experience: 200 hours at a local dental office
Volunteering Experience: None other than dental shadowing
Employment: US Army and a biotech. company
Research: Worked as a research associate at a biotech company for about 2 years. No publications.
Other Extracurriculars: Military for the last 4 years working in a hospital for the last 2
Relevant Honors or Awards: Several military awards
LOR type and strength: 3 from professors at a CC (biology, anatomy, physics), 1 from dentist, moderate
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: .
School list: Columbia, USC, Indiana, Loma Linda, Midwester-IL, NYU, Roseman, Iowa, Touro, UBuffalo, UCLA, UCSF, UIChicago, UMaryland, UNLV, UNewEngland, WesternU, Rutgers, Stony Brook

I know that my GPA is subpar, but I did have an upward trend after my second year in undergrad. I also have a 4.0 GPA from a CC where I have been taking some prerequisites (not sure if it counts as postbacc, but ADEA listed my GPA from the CC as postbacc). I applied broadly so that I could increase my chances of getting in. I have preference for public schools, but will gladly take whatever school I get accepted into.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you stand a very good chance this cycle- good total profile and applied broadly. UDM, UMich, and UOP are other schools that come to mind if you were looking to expand your list (but you don’t need to).

You have a good chance at stony brook! Message me if you need help, I just started there!

Just an FYI that UIC is not OOS friendly. According to ADEA Explorer, only 2/70 students in their class were not from Illinois.