What are my chances for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cramster

One
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply to a good mix of programs and not all 'top tier' programs...i'd say >98% of matching (if I was to make up a number).

EM isn't 'that' competitive assuming you did better on step 2.

If you apply to a good mix of programs and not all 'top tier' programs...i'd say >98% of matching (if I was to make up a number).

EM isn't 'that' competitive assuming you did better on step 2.

Seeing as I've already applied and took step2 a couple days ago are programs even going to see my numbers?

And... for the programs that give me an interview without my Step2 Score, will they really care about it after the interview for the purposes of Rank

Seeing as I've already applied and took step2 a couple days ago are programs even going to see my numbers?

And... for the programs that give me an interview without my Step2 Score, will they really care about it after the interview for the purposes of Rank
Yes, they will. PDs are starting to publicly state they care more about Step 2CK than Step 1. Of course it will be used during ranking in January, when they'll have your scores.

Maybe 50%, your neuroticism will destroy you on interviews. Sorry...

Man, people are so brutal on this forum, forgot how nerve wracking applying for Residency was eh big guy?

Reactions: 1 user
If you can carry on a semi-normal conversation for 5 minutes you'll match.
Step 1 matters, if you do fine (>220) just don't go down on Step 2.
If you got lower on Step 1, do what it takes to KILL Step 2

Phrases to avoid during interviews:

"I'm looking for a good work life balance"
"I love international/wilderness medicine, I want to get a job where I work 6 months in an ER and 6 months in (name any developing nation/large wilderness area)."
"I hated all my rotations other than Emergency Medicine"
"I love the lifestyle of Emergency Medicine"
"I really love traumas and procedures."

Reactions: 3 users
Should I be significantly worried about matching?

- Did not have Step2CK until late in the season. Average to below average Board Scores.
- Applied 1.5w late. Applied to 100 programs, attended all interviews offered = only 15 programs to rank

I know what "charting outcomes" says about having 15 programs to rank, but I just don't know how I feel about applying to 100 and only getting 15.

Last edited:
Should I be significantly worried about matching?

- Did not have Step2CK until late in the season. Average to below average Board Scores.
- Applied 1.5w late. Applied to 100 programs, attended all interviews offered = only 15 programs to rank

I know what "charting outcomes" says about having 15 programs to rank, but I just don't know how I feel about applying to 100 and only getting 15.

You applied broadly and you got the "magic number" as far as interviews. I'll tell you how to feel: GREAT. Rank everything. :uhno::wtf:

You applied broadly and you got the "magic number" as far as interviews. I'll tell you how to feel: GREAT. Rank everything. :uhno::wtf:

Why is the "magic number" magic? If you assume the average applicant applied to 30-40 programs, then the "magic number" is actually a surrogate marker for competitiveness. The charting outcomes data would then become less generalizable to a cohort of students who applied to significantly more programs.

Dude, relax. Out of the 1,046 US senior applicants that ranked 10 or more programs in 2014, only ten...you heard me...TEN, did not match. I think I remember you saying your step 1 was somewhere in the 220s. Of the 314 US senior applicants that had step 1 scores between 221-230, only FOURTEEN did not match. You have absolutely no reason to be freaking out. Hell even those with step 1 scores between 201-210 had a greater than 80% chance of matching.

The only way I'd be worried about matching is if you come off this neurotic in interviews.

Reactions: 1 user