What are my chances for MD/PhD with below average MCAT score and significant research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tophu246

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for MD/PhD programs this cycle. My current stats are: cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 514 (130/128/129/127). I'm an ORM student from CA with disadvantage background (qualified for FAP). I went to a community college to save money and subsequently graduated from a top public university (don't know if it really helps with anything?). My clinical/shadowing experience, volunteer, and leadership experience are average at best for MD.

Regarding my research experience, I spent 1 whole year doing undergrad research (~900-1000 hrs) and wrote a research honors thesis + poster presentation. I'm now currently working full-time in a research lab at a T10 medical school for 2 years now (~ 4000 hrs). I've spent tremendous amount of time working in my lab. I work on the weekends most of the time, take leadership and managerial responsibility in the lab and even help my PI write grants and critique papers. I also developed a very close personal relationship with my PI so I'm sure I'll have a lot of interesting things to write on my essays and for my PI to write letters of rec for my time in his lab.

By the time I apply, I should have 3-4 publications as 3rd/4th author. Two of them are impact factor 10+ journals. I'm also writing my first-author manuscript and planning to submit to highly selective journals such as eLife, Nature Comm, PNAS, etc. (definitely not the CNS tier though). My hope is to have the paper being under review by the time I apply this cycle.

My only concern is that my MCAT score, which I have taken quite a while ago, is now below average for most MSTP programs, including even the ones outside of T20. I was pretty upset to learn that my score, which used to be 91st percentile back in the days, is now 89th percentile according to the new ranking, meaning that I'm outside of the 90th percentile mark. I've tried to study and retake the exam again but due to having to work full (and extra) time and write my paper, it's become impossible for me to study. I figure that taking the test again and receiving an even lower score will be very detrimental to my application so I don't think I'm going to risk it.

Also, regarding my first-author paper, would putting "under review at x journal" on my application be sufficient or whether I should also submit my paper to a preprint server for Adcom to see it?

Thank you in advance for taking your time to read my post.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I can address only some parts of your question from my own experience. When I applied and was accepted (not very long ago at all), I had similar stats as you with even less publications, experience writing grants, or helping my PI critique papers. I had a busy interview season and the interviews came from schools outside of T20. Based on the information you provided, I feel that if I were you, I would not worry about retaking the MCAT. I would focus on developing strong essays for your application right now, that is if you are applying this cycle.

I also want to say that school rankings don't matter as much as successfully getting into an MSTP, so I hope you don't feel discouraged because you think your stats won't qualify you to be a good candidate for a T20 school (I can't comment on whether or not I think you qualify because I'm not a program director). T20 or not, medical school is really hard. There won't be time to think about ranking when you're in the thick of it.

If you would like tailored mentoring for your MD/PhD application and discuss more about your situation, I highly recommend signing up for ProjectSHORT (Project SHORT), if you haven't checked it out already. There are quite a few eager MD/PhD students who will want to help you. Many of these students are former NIH postbaccs who received advice from NIH professional pre-med advisors and are simply passing them on now to future applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I can address only some parts of your question from my own experience. When I applied and was accepted (not very long ago at all), I had similar stats as you with even less publications, experience writing grants, or helping my PI critique papers. I had a busy interview season and the interviews came from schools outside of T20. Based on the information you provided, I feel that if I were you, I would not worry about retaking the MCAT. I would focus on developing strong essays for your application right now, that is if you are applying this cycle.

I also want to say that school rankings don't matter as much as successfully getting into an MSTP, so I hope you don't feel discouraged because you think your stats won't qualify you to be a good candidate for a T20 school (I can't comment on whether or not I think you qualify because I'm not a program director). T20 or not, medical school is really hard. There won't be time to think about ranking when you're in the thick of it.

If you would like tailored mentoring for your MD/PhD application and discuss more about your situation, I highly recommend signing up for ProjectSHORT (Project SHORT), if you haven't checked it out already. There are quite a few eager MD/PhD students who will want to help you. Many of these students are former NIH postbaccs who received advice from NIH professional pre-med advisors and are simply passing them on now to future applicants.
Thank you for your advice and encouragement. Congratulation on your acceptance. I'm definitely not as fixated on T20 as I used to be anymore. I'm sure that all the NIH-funded MSTP programs are great regardless of ranking.

I'll be writing my essays and paper concurrently and I'll definitely reach out to ProjectSHORT!

Best.

Members don't see this ad :)
While 514 is *slightly* below average for MSTP it is by no means lethal. Your research is great and if you can write a coherent and engaging essay I think you stand a great chance. From looking at other posts on here and reddit MD/PhD, one of the best things you can do to offset a weaker application is apply early and apply wide. Personally I'm trying to have my application sent out in the first wave of completed applications at the end of June. I'm also going to apply to a wide range of programs including several funded MD/PhDs that are not MSTP.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the other commenters.
My experience: I'm a G3 at a MSTP in the midwest, probably considered "mid-tier" whatever that means ... honestly having done a masters of science at a top university and now doing my PhD here I think a lot of the ranking is BS, but I digress.
I got a 512 on my MCAT ... not balanced at all, verbal and the psych/social section (idk the names) basically carried my score. I'm not a URM.
I had a lot of other experiences, a masters, time working in the government, decent publication record, and apparently great essays since several reviewers commented on them. I ended up interviewing at 6 schools(5 MSTPs), flat out rejected from 1 of them, accepted at 2, and the rest I was on a kind of waitlist where you need to convince them you want to go there otherwise they prob won't give you an offer (unless maybe you have outstanding scores?). My point is, you have great research experience so I wouldn't retake the MCAT. Just write passionate essays, apply early, and apply everywhere. Apply even if you don't think you'd love it there. I've begrudgingly applied to programs and came to find out I loved them when interviewing.

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for MD/PhD programs this cycle. My current stats are: cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 514 (130/128/129/127). I'm an ORM student from CA with disadvantage background (qualified for FAP). I went to a community college to save money and subsequently graduated from a top public university (don't know if it really helps with anything?). My clinical/shadowing experience, volunteer, and leadership experience are average at best for MD.

Regarding my research experience, I spent 1 whole year doing undergrad research (~900-1000 hrs) and wrote a research honors thesis + poster presentation. I'm now currently working full-time in a research lab at a T10 medical school for 2 years now (~ 4000 hrs). I've spent tremendous amount of time working in my lab. I work on the weekends most of the time, take leadership and managerial responsibility in the lab and even help my PI write grants and critique papers. I also developed a very close personal relationship with my PI so I'm sure I'll have a lot of interesting things to write on my essays and for my PI to write letters of rec for my time in his lab.

By the time I apply, I should have 3-4 publications as 3rd/4th author. Two of them are impact factor 10+ journals. I'm also writing my first-author manuscript and planning to submit to highly selective journals such as eLife, Nature Comm, PNAS, etc. (definitely not the CNS tier though). My hope is to have the paper being under review by the time I apply this cycle.

My only concern is that my MCAT score, which I have taken quite a while ago, is now below average for most MSTP programs, including even the ones outside of T20. I was pretty upset to learn that my score, which used to be 91st percentile back in the days, is now 89th percentile according to the new ranking, meaning that I'm outside of the 90th percentile mark. I've tried to study and retake the exam again but due to having to work full (and extra) time and write my paper, it's become impossible for me to study. I figure that taking the test again and receiving an even lower score will be very detrimental to my application so I don't think I'm going to risk it.

Also, regarding my first-author paper, would putting "under review at x journal" on my application be sufficient or whether I should also submit my paper to a preprint server for Adcom to see it?

Thank you in advance for taking your time to read my post.

Cheers!
In response to your question about your first-author paper, here's a good discussion thread to consider:

Personal experience-wise, I know of one PI who read my pre-print and discussed it with me during my interview. I don't think it hurts to upload your paper as a pre-print. It is a way to stake your claim in that particular topic and provides another venue for your manuscript to receive feedback.