What Are My Chances For Podiatric Medical School? (No DPM shadowing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GAMING4FUNN

Reaction score
Here's some other info;

Virginia resident

Neuroscience Major

Community College (2 years) - 4.0 GPA

University (2 Years) - 3.78 GPA

Combined - 3.89 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA

MCAT Score - 505 (From 2018)

(C/P - 126) (Cars - 123) (B/B - 128) (P/S - 128)

Academic Achievement

Presidential Scholars List (Community College)

Extracurricular Activity (Non-clinical Leadership):

48 hours Medical Mentoring Program (Georgetown University Program for serving underrepresented and minority individuals)

Volunteer (Non-Clinical)

20 hours University Tutor (Chemistry Tutor)

100+ hours Public Hospital (Emergency Room and & Surgical Services Center)

100+ hours Different Public Hospital (Emergency Room and & Front Desk)

150+ hours Shadowing Doctor (Family Practice MD)

Externship (Clinical Non-Paid)

160 hours Clinical Medical Assistant (Cardiologist MD)

Employment (Clinical and Non-Clinical)

2000+ hours Customer Sales Associate (Retail)

650+ hours Clinical Technician in Public Hospital (Trauma ICU for level 1 Trauma Care)

Research:

300 hours Laboratory Research (How Bisphenol-A Induces Apoptosis and Oxidative Stress In Zebrafish)

Research Symposiums/Presentations:

4 hours (At my University)

4 hours (Updated Research After a Few Months at my University)

4 hours (Presented at the National Institute of Health - NIH)

Currently No DPM shadowing because of COVID-19 but I am still actively looking for a DPM to shadow

Members don't see this ad.

Those stats might get you into some MD programs, too, if you're interested. Look at schools that serve underserved areas. It will be a reach, but possibly doable if you apply to the right schools.

You are competitive for DO as well.

If someone says you're competitive for DPM, then you should really make a list of schools you want to apply to in order to pick something you are maximally happy with.

After looking at some threads about acceptance stats, it seems many people get scholarships at any of the 9 DPM schools upon acceptance, even if they have a little under average MCAT. That's something to consider as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine.

Make sure this is what you want to do.

Your specialty is locked in from day 1 of school.

Thanks! Personally I am not too picky with my specialty. I do not even care about getting Ortho, derm, plastics etc..... I think there are a so many specialties that are intriguing. The other aspect is financial stability. I do not want to be in a position making 70-90k a year.

Those stats might get you into some MD programs, too, if you're interested. Look at schools that serve underserved areas. It will be a reach, but possibly doable if you apply to the right schools.

You are competitive for DO as well.

If someone says you're competitive for DPM, then you should really make a list of schools you want to apply to in order to pick something you are maximally happy with.

After looking at some threads about acceptance stats, it seems many people get scholarships at any of the 9 DPM schools upon acceptance, even if they have a little under average MCAT. That's something to consider as well.

Thanks for the support! I applying broadly this application cycle as it is my second cycle. I am applying to MD, DO and DPM. My hope is to get into either MD or DO, but if I get DPM I have no issue as well. I am just so confused on what school is considered the top 2 or 3 DPM schools. I want to make sure I get great education, trained well enough to pass boards, and most importantly secure a solid residency. I spoke to Temples admission counselor last week and she informed me of the merit based scholarship and stated I would be in the higher end in terms of scholarship received for the year. I am aware of that and that is also something to consider too as it will put a dent in my debt post graduation.

Thanks for the support! I applying broadly this application cycle as it is my second cycle. I am applying to MD, DO and DPM. My hope is to get into either MD or DO, but if I get DPM I have no issue as well. I am just so confused on what school is considered the top 2 or 3 DPM schools. I want to make sure I get great education, trained well enough to pass boards, and most importantly secure a solid residency. I spoke to Temples admission counselor last week and she informed me of the merit based scholarship and stated I would be in the higher end in terms of scholarship received for the year. I am aware of that and that is also something to consider too as it will put a dent in my debt post graduation.

What went wrong in the first cycle?

There are no rankings within the Pod programs; choosing a school is solely based on your interest, more or less.
You should shadow first, different DPMs, before applying to this field. Although, shadowing will be more difficult now due to COVID.

I agree with Dexter. What went wrong the first cycle? Cause that stats will get some DO love. You don't want to repeat that same mistake with DPM.

What went wrong in the first cycle?

There are no rankings within the Pod programs; choosing a school is solely based on your interest, more or less.
You should shadow first, different DPMs, before applying to this field. Although, shadowing will be more difficult now due to COVID.

What went wrong the first cycle were a couple of things. First, I submitted many of my secondaries in September and October with a few being submitted the following year due to a lack of a LoR. Second, I had no letter from an MD or DO. Third, I had 0 hours of clinical experience.

What went wrong the first cycle were a couple of things. First, I submitted many of my secondaries in September and October with a few being submitted the following year due to a lack of a LoR. Second, I had no letter from an MD or DO. Third, I had 0 hours of clinical experience.

Sounds like you were not advised well.
Good luck with this cycle!

This can hurt you in any profession. At least at Kent, the assistant dean really stressed about the fact that we know or have an understanding of what we are getting ourselves into before committing.