What are my chances for UABSOM?

Started by BlkDoc2024
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlkDoc2024

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I am very interested in attending the University of Alabama at Birmingham for medical school since I am from Birmingham. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.5, but currently I am in a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program, projected to graduate in May of 2020 with about a 3.8 GPA. I took the MCAT on 1/23 and scored a 501. I was looking on UAB's website and it noted that Alabama residents with exceptional GPAs and at least a 493 on the MCAT would be invited to complete a secondary application. I know that the average score for acceptance is a 507-508, but what are my chances?

TL;DR
School of Interest - University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical School (UAB)
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Graduate GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 501
Lots of extracurriculars and volunteering experience
Resident of Alabama
 
I know it may be a bit late for you, but I will still give you my two cents. I am a first year at UAB this year, and I hear of a lot of Alabama residents with good GPA's and EC get in with a low MCAT score. If you get an interview as an in state in UAB, you have a 50% chance of getting in.