What Are my chances...Help..thanks (10-3-09)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goody921

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...
I am not sure if I have any chances to get into medical school this year....
I have mcat score of v5, B8, P8 total of 21 on MCAT.
As English is not my first language...(I explained the situation in my app)
Science GPA 3.6, and overall of 3.74
one year of clinical experience, and a one year and half of research experience....
Working during college....

I applied to schools..
Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry, also, DO schools...
I am not sure if I should apply to Ross....
Can you tell me if I have any chance get into these medical schools?

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say your chances are pretty slim even at DO schools. The HBCU's strongly prefer black students with primary care interests and experience, so even though they have low stats, you're probably SOL there. A 21 on the MCAT crushes your chances. Retake it, and aim for at least a 7 in verbal (probably the minimum to be comfortable at DO schools) and high 20's overall. That'll be a good starting point.

In the mean time, get some more clinical experience in. "One year" can mean a lot of things, but I'm guessing you probably don't have enough clinical time in.

I think it's unlikely you'll get an acceptance at any US med school with those stats. You might want to check the MCAT Discussions Forum where folks have posted strategies for how they raised their verbal scores. I'd encourage you to retake the MCAT after studying some more before resorting to Caribe schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello...
I am not sure if I have any chances to get into medical school this year....
I have mcat score of v5, B8, P8 total of 21 on MCAT.
As English is not my first language...(I explained the situation in my app)
Science GPA 3.6, and overall of 3.74
one year of clinical experience, and a one year and half of research experience....
Working during college....

I applied to schools..
Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry, also, DO schools...
I am not sure if I should apply to Ross....
Can you tell me if I have any chance get into these medical schools?

Thank you very much

Your GPA is adequate for US MD or DO schools. I would highly encourage you to retake your MCAT and get it up so you can stay at a US school. If you can do that well in school (presuming you're at an English-speaking undergrad) then I think you understand English well enough to get your verbal higher than a 5. You can do it!

Hey ....
Thanks for replying
However, I already submited the primary application and recieved 2nd application to fill out....
Do you guys think I should bother with the 2nd application?
Should I give them a try, and see what happens???

Thanks