What are my chances? Less than 3.0 DAT:24 PAT 22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtsprep6680

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im new to this forum. Anyways, I just want to know if I should bother applying for class of 08. I have less than 3.0 GPA but I kicked butt on the DATs. My average is 24 on the academic and 22 on the PAT. What are my chances at dschool? Should I even waste my time or should I go take some more classes in postbacc to raise my GPA and reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer, as always, is all of the above. You have a decent shot for this year, and if you don't get in, you have your back up all ready to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea apply to like 10 schools. your dat is better than others that have 3.8 gpas

Do you have anything else you can show?

Leadership skills? Shadowing? Reputable Letters of Rec? Undergraduate Research?

You shadow a dentist for reasonable hours? You related to anyone in the field? Have you done even dental lab tech work?

You need to balance out that low GPA with something guy

The DAT will probably help you get into at least one or two schools. Look for schools that seem to have higher DAT scores rather than GPAs and apply there (alongside your favorite schools). Don't assume that more schools = better chance of acceptance. Just make sure you have something else going for you on your app, and apply before June!

i'd say great DAT scores but I have similar DAT scores and a 3.45 gpa 3.11 sci and got 5/10 interviews but only one acceptance. i think a lot of schools filter out low gpas and therefore won't care what your dat scores were. You still have a shot but i'd apply to more than ten schools. and have well rounded extra currics although i'm not sure just how much you can undo a lower gpa with them.