What are my chances of getting into a PT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats:

School: University of Massachusetts Amherst
Major: Kinesiology
Cum. GPA: 3.12
Prereq. GPA: 3.07
GRE: Verbal: 470 Quantitative: 670
Observation: 200 hours
Additional info: I have my CSCS issued by the NSCA and am CPR/AED certified

Also, I got a C- in one of my prereqs (Chem. 2) which is calculated into my prereq GPA.

What do you think my chances are? I applied to about 15 schools. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this on the Physical therapy board first because I didn't konw about this one.

Here are my stats:

Also, I got a C- in one of my prereqs (Chem. 2) which is calculated into my prereq GPA.

What do you think my chances are? I applied to about 15 schools. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chapman, Husson, Massachusetts College of Pharm. and Health Sciences, Mount St. Mary's, Richard Stockton, Sacred heart, U. of Rhode Island, U. of Vermont, U of New England, Florida International, Hampton, Scranton and UMass Lowell.

I'm assuming you applied for the present cycle, correct? bc with a lot of the schools having had deadlines in early to mid december, I would think you'd have heard about an interview by now... but I guess it could take a while if schools are swamped with apps.

Anyway, to be honest, IMO, your GPA, both cumm and pre-req, are low. But I don't know much about any of the schools you applied to. I was going ot apply to UMASS Lowell, bc it would've been in state, but on their website, they say they reserve about 60% of their spots for their own students. But I don't know much about any of the other schools you applied to.

If you have a solid PS and some good LORs, you should be all set and should hear back from some programs.

Best of Luck.

Chapman, Husson, Massachusetts College of Pharm. and Health Sciences, Mount St. Mary's, Richard Stockton, Sacred heart, U. of Rhode Island, U. of Vermont, U of New England, Florida International, Hampton, Scranton and UMass Lowell.
Out of those, I've applied to URI, UV, and UNE.
URI and UNE have offered me interviews so far, and UV I have yet ot hear from (beyond just saying they have received my application).
In case you're wondering, my stats are very similar to jchen707's.

The only one I really know much about is URI. They accept a lot of out-of-state students, and apparently the lowest GPA they accepted last year was a 3.5. Really what they're looking for though is a 3.6+.
They value last-60 credits and GRE scores the most.

Also, you can find a lot of information here: http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/A...APTA/PTCAS/2010_11_PTCAS_ApplicantDataRpt.pdf
about who gets accepted, from the likelihood of getting into a school when applying to 15 different schools, to the GPA's that typically get accepted.

Last edited:
Don't lose hope! I know stats are a huge factor in the application process, but some schools don't just look at stats! I know of a few schools that ACTUALLY take the time to look at the whole resume of an applicant to measure whether or not they would be a good fit into their program! And don't be afraid to apply anywhere b/c whether people want to believe this or not, demographics play a huge role into "applicant-decison making"

Here are my stats:

Which schools did you apply to again? You could beef up those observational hours a tad bit more (I would)!

Which schools did you apply to again? You could beef up those observational hours a tad bit more (I would)!

Haha, glad I wasn't applying against you..I think 200 hours(In many different settings) is a pretty significant amount of volunteer experience.

You've already applied to 15 schools...I'm sure you'll get invited and given the chance to shine somewhere.

Best of luck.

I replied earlier I think to your other thread in the pre-pt forum, but for simplicity, i'll address the volunteer hours here.
I agree, your volunteer hours are fine. Most schools want to see over 100. I barely got over 100 (literally, I think I had 103 hours) and I was invited to all the schools that I applied that conducted interviews. But the thing to make sure is they are in different settings, not just 200 in 1 setting, bc in that case you would def need more hours. You should have about 3 different settings, like outpatient ortho, inpatient, acute, geriatrics, peds etc... Some schools also have a specification on how many hours would constitute it being in a different setting, like at UF they require you have 3 settings, with at least 10 hours in each setting. Therefore you should review the criteria of the schools that you applied to. But if I remember from your other thread correctly, you already applied? So you prob already knew all the info I just wrote above ( :) ). Anyway, good luck with your apps and hopefully you'll be interviewed at all of your schools and get into most of them if not all.