What are my chances of getting into an MOT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSU13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dream is to get my Master's in Occupational Therapy. I graduated two years ago with a BA in Communications. My GPA after graduation was 2.5. Since then I have worked very hard to prove myself. These are my stats:

GPA: 3.0
Last 60: 3.65
Prereqs: 3.55

GRE: Have yet to take it, but confident
Observation hours: ~150 in 4-5 settings
Volunteer hours: ~200 including active state medical reserve member
LOR: Employer (college athletics)(very strong letter), Anatomy professor, Therapist

Other: Worked at an athletic training facility where I helped coordinate and oversee kids camps (including first aid, injury rehab), also worked as a TA for Anatomy, and was in a few clubs (Autism Awareness, etc.)

I'm still almost a year away from applying (although my GPA will not change), so I would just like to know if anyone has any comments or ideas on how I can strengthen my resume. I know my GPA is terrible, but at least I raised it from a 2.5-3.0- I'm pretty proud of that! I'm starting to get worried that I'm not going to get in anywhere and I just need some help. I know I won't get in to any big programs, but I'm starting to get nervous about the smaller ones too. Any help or critique would be VERY appreciated! Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will be fine. You've clearly improved quite a bit. I think you should just keep applying and use the interview opportunity to explain your increase in grades. Do you have all of your pre-reqs done? If so, maybe consider getting a post-bacc in health science or something similar or 2nd bachelors to help improve your GPA even more. I know alot of people can do this to show that they have clearly improved academically, but in your case you at least meet the minimum requirements. The only other suggestion I can offer is to maybe continue to get volunteer experience with OTs and get some nice LOR from them. Good luck.

You should really be contacting OT programs you are interested in because those are the people who will be accepting you, not us folks on here. Tell them that you are interested in the program and ask what they want to see in their applications. Mention what your stats are and ask them how you can improve them, what they want to see in your personal statement, etc.
Not only will the admissions coordinator/whoever the point of contact give you good information and establish rapport, but it shows interest and proof that OT school is what you really want. I got accepted to my OT program because I maintained contact with the coordinator even after I was waitlisted and continued to show strong interest in going to the school
Good luck! :)