what are my chances? or should I wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green1221

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 3.47 overall gpa and I'm not entirely sure what my science gpa is but I'm pretty sure its not too far above a 3.0. I'm currently studying for the mcat and will be taking it late august. I have over 5 years of clinical experience working in a family practice clinic as well as an assisted living facility. I have done volunteer work but not has much as I would have liked. I have a few extracurriculars but not much since starting college because I've been too busy with work and school. I have a bachelors in psychology and have one class left for a minor in bio which I have decided to go back to school to finish. I really wanted an MD school but I don't think thats even an option any more. My grades do show an upward trend but not as drastic as I probably need right now. I've been told to apply this year by a few people and I'm very hesitant because I know my chances are slim to none and especially since I won't be taking the mcat until late august so I won't have a complete application till late september which is extremely late. What should I do??? Should I wait till next year to apply? If I do wait till next year I will take more classes over the next year to hopefully raise my gpa, get in more volunteer hours, have more time to take the mcat, and try to find research opportunities at my university. I guess I already know what steps I have to take to apply for next year and I have no problem being a reapplicant if I have to but I still don't know if I should apply this year... PLEASE HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You will definitely have to wait and have a strong year of science post-bacc before applying. You will also need to work on your EC to make them at least on par with other applicants.

I don't think MD has left completely as a possibility, but I do think you'd find yourself with a greater likelihood of an acceptance if you target D.O. schools.