WAMC/Should I apply or wait a year? School list - 3.97/4.0, 510, CA Resident, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatLover6

Reaction score
Hello! Needed some advice and didn’t know who else to ask, so thanks in advance!

1. cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 4.0 (slight upward trend, only had some mistakes in my first year)

2. MCAT: 510 127/127/127/129

3. Residency: CA.

4. Ethnicity and/or race: Chinese (fluent in mandarin)

5. Undergraduate institution or category: CA state school (Biochemistry)

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • 250 hours as helper to patient care, as in keeping patients company, transporting them, and dealing with phone calls from family.
7. Research experience and productivity:
  • 250 hours in one lab, no posters or pubs
  • 300 hours in my second lab, one thesis, rec letter from PI
  • 450 hours on a coding project, one presentation in an international conference, rec letter from PI
8. Shadowing
  • 100 hours (Split between different specialties)

9. Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 80 hours mentoring for a summer program
  • 180 hours tutoring students during covid who were from low ses families
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc).
  • 2000 hours Music (I play a lot of instruments but haven’t performed in any concerts or competitions)
  • 50 hours Started a club for coding and engineering research opportunities and to have a way to keep track of funding from those projects officially.
  • 150 hours Student officer for another club

My main concern is my mcat score in addition to being an Asian in CA. I’m also not going to be able to apply DO this round since I didn’t count on it at the beginning and don’t have a recommendation from a DO physician. (In hindsight, I should’ve done this just to keep my options open) So would I have a fair chance at MDs this year or should I wait a year? Also, should I consider retaking the MCAT? I ended up only having three weeks to study for it due to health problems that happened, but I couldn’t really reschedule without either missing this cycle or being super late. Granted, I spent basically the whole three weeks on studying extra hard, and I’ve heard that a similar or worse MCAT is way worse. So I’m a bit on the fence for this. I'm kind of prepared for applying, but it's very costly, but I also don't want to wait a year if possible.

Current School List:
  • Wake Forest
  • Albany
  • Drexel
  • george washington
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • tulane
  • Penn State
  • Hackensack
  • Vermont
  • Temple

• West Virginia
  • Quinnipiac
  • Oakland
  • Wayne State
  • Loyla
  • UCLA
  • UC Davis
  • UC riverside
  • CUSM
  • U of Vermont
Maybe
  • Creighton
  • NOVA

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine to apply this month. I suggest these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)

On the metrics side, you are fine. On the experience side, your community service doesn't show you can stretch out of your comfort zone working with underserved communities. Tutoring is done by lots of premeds and doesn't make you stand out.

I also have no real sense of why you are passionate about Medicine from what you listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine to apply this month. I suggest these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Thank you very much for the list!

On the metrics side, you are fine. On the experience side, your community service doesn't show you can stretch out of your comfort zone working with underserved communities. Tutoring is done by lots of premeds and doesn't make you stand out.

I also have no real sense of why you are passionate about Medicine from what you listed.
Thank you for pointing that out. I also thought that it was probably the most lacking part of my app. I am going to do more during my gap year, but it won't be on my app. What do you suggest? Should I delay my app over it?