What are my chances? Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nana23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here is my story... I am thinking of changing my career plans to pharmacy. I have a 3.85 oGPA and 3.90 sGPA ( B.S. in Biology w honors). But the problem is that i DONT have any experience in the field :(. How many hours of shadowing/volunteering is required to be considered a competitive aplicant? Do i need to take the PCAT if i want to apply to california schools only? Lastly, do i need any reseach experience? To increase my chances i was thinking of also obtaining a pharm tech license. I am hoping someone will help me w these questions.

Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a highly competitive GPA. PCAT is not required for almost all schools in California. I think you should try to get at least two pharmacy shadowing experiences. For example, one in retail, one in hospital pharmacy. For volunteering, about 30 hours a semester is reasonable, but don't overload yourself remember academic comes first.
I don't think research experiences is required, I know many people without any and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys... I am thinking of volunteering my time at a hospital and retail pharmacy setting until the 2014 cycle. I spent 5 years of my time volunteering/shadowing at dental offices... Should I include this in my app ?? Would the change of career plan lower my chances? I am afraid that adcoms might look down on me since pharmacy was not my initial career goal :(.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

I don't understand why people have degrees with good stats and then wait so long to apply (2014 cycle!?) Why not take prereqs this year, apply for 2013 cycle, and see what happens? If you don't get in, apply 2014. Or did the deadline for the 2013 cycle pass already?

I don't understand why people have degrees with good stats and then wait so long to apply (2014 cycle!?) Why not take prereqs this year, apply for 2013 cycle, and see what happens? If you don't get in, apply 2014. Or did the deadline for the 2013 cycle pass already?

I'm dead if it did pass. hahah most deadlines for 2013 cycle is in like Jan or Feb 2013

icon1.png

Thanks for your post... I was thinking of applying for the 2014 cycle because I dont have any experience in the field. I am afraid that my application won't be as competitive with other applicants?? I dont know if it is possible to get into pharm school without any experience.

Its very possible to get into pharmacy school with little to no experience. I would apply and try and shadow as much as possible over the rest of summer/fall semester.

I am in your exact situation. Applying to USC, UCSD, and UCSF with a very competitive GPA (3.88) but no experience outside of interviewing pharmacists. I am looking for shadowing opportunities, and I suggest you do the same. I just passed the PTCE last week after studying for a month, but that probably won't help your app too much if u have a license with no experience.

You don't need research experience to be competitive. However, I heard UCSD does like applicants with a little research background.

If you can afford to apply this year, you should imo. What do you have to lose (other than money :D) ?

ur stats are really good and not having much experience shouldn't harm u cause u have a great gpa! i work at a pharmacy where we have P4 students come in and do rotations and for some it was the first time they were actually working in a pharmacy. u can try to apply this year but i guess the only reason to wait would be to make sure that this is really what u want to do cause u don't want to spend 4 years of ur life at school and then realizing this is not what u want to do. good luck! :luck: