1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances? Texas?

Discussion in 'Pre-Physical Therapy' started by suxela, Jun 27, 2018.

1. suxela

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Hello friends! As many of you probably know, the application opens very soon for the 2018-2019 cycle. I'm posting this more or less as a "what are my chances" post to sort of ease my mind as the days progress and the time to apply gets closer. I am especially nervous because I would love to move to Texas and all of the Texas schools have such a low acceptance percentage of out of state students. If anyone can speak to that and see if that is feasible with my stats, that would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

University:
    University of Missouri-Columbia
    Major: Health Science with an emphasis in Rehabilitation Sciences
    Overall GPA: 3.77
    Pre-Req GPA: 3.59-3.76 depending on the school
    Last 60: 3.93
    GRE: Taking it mid-July, but all of the practice tests I have taken seem to place me around 155Q and 160V
    Observation Hours: 30 inpatient (all acute in a variety of settings) and approx. 175 outpatient in a variety of settings
    LOR: 1 PT & 2 professors. Might try to work closely with another PT to have that extra LOR
    Extra-Curric: Mizzou Women’s Club Soccer Captain, Athletic Training Student Association Social Chair, Tau Sigma Social Chair and Webmaster, 500+ hands on clinical hours as an Athletic Training student, worked two jobs through most of my time at the University
    Volunteer: Molly’s Miles 5k and 10k Volunteer, Adaptive Triathlon Volunteer, Mizzou Alternative Breaks Participant (service), Food Bank of Central Missouri
    Honors: President's list x2, Dean's list x5, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Tau Sigma Honor Society
    Certifications: CPR & BLS
    Plan to apply to: Mizzou, Missouri State, Texas Woman's University, UTEP and MAYBE UT Medical Branch at Galveston.

Acceptances: N/A
    Rejections: N/A
    Interviews: N/A
    *I'll be updating as I hear from schools once that ball gets rolling*

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jt128

Pre-Physical Therapy
    I think you have a decent chance! Your stats look pretty good. Your GRE practice test scores aren't too bad either. I think you have a pretty competitive application. I'd say work hard on your PT app essays, make sure you get multiple people to read them for you. If you can, keep getting observation hours at various settings, and maybe get that second PT letter of rec! If/when you get interviews PREP HARD for them!!! Keep notes on each of the schools you're applying to so you can refer to them easily. I would even start working on your responses to typical interview questions sooner than later so you aren't cramming when you start getting interviews.
    Good luck!

suxela likes this.
  4. nd_dpt

2+ Year Member

Physical Therapy Student
    I'd say you have a fair shot for Texas schools. Your GRE practice scores are great. The low acceptance percentages for out of state students in Texas could also just be due to the fact that a lot of people don't apply to out of state schools because of tuition. I'm a 2nd year student at UTMB and we have our fair share of out of state students. We have some from Louisiana, Hawaii, Seattle, etc. We even had a student who went to Mizzou. It would be great if you could get another PT LOR, but all that really matters is that it comes from someone who can attest to your work ethic.

suxela likes this.
  5. suxela

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Thank you, so much!!! Makes me feel a little bit better. I think I am just anxious even though I know that I am competitive. Do you go to school in Texas?

6. suxela

Pre-Physical Therapy
    Thank you for the response, first and foremost! The fact that you had someone that went to Mizzou is pretty calming. In Missouri, we just don't have that many programs so it is nice to know that there is a chance. I'll keep you guys updated, thank you again :)

7. 1123grrf!

Hey did you end up interviewing at Mizzou or Missouri State University?

8. suxela

Pre-Physical Therapy
    No,
    Surprisingly wasn’t invited for interview at mizzou. I have my personal beefs with Mizzou though so I am biased on that lol. Technically I am still waiting to hear back from MSU but I know one of their interview cycles is this weekend so I’m not feeling too good about that one either lol. All good though I have other things lined up. I also didn’t apply to half the schools on that list ^^

9. 1123grrf!

I appreciate you sharing, I didn't apply to all the schools I planned on and I did interview at MSU and it went absolutely terrible so don't feel bad. They did say that they are interviewing people at MSU until mid December so you could still get called for an interview. Good Luck though!

suxela likes this.
  10. suxela

Pre-Physical Therapy

No problem! I ended up applying to MSU, Mizzou, Rockhurst, Franklin Pierce in AZ & UTEP. Got an interview for Rockhurst so that’s nice. Still waiting to hear back from MSU, Franklin Pierce & UTEP. Thank you though. Good luck getting off the wait list. I have a couple of friends that got admitted and will be starting this summer.