MD What are my chances to get into an MD school this cycle ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorweird

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is one of my very first posts on here, I have been watching and lurking in the shadows...

So after finally getting my MCAT score, I now have a good picture of what my application will look like, and I wanted to get your opinions on how I look as an applicant.

Academics part:
Between community college and UC, I have a cumulative GPA of about 3.6 and a science GPA of 3.52. My GPA has an upward trend (I finished community college with a 3.45 and graduated UC with a 3.95). As far as the science classes go, the only classes that I didn't get an A in are general chemistry. My first quarter in the UC I had some personal troubles, so I ended up withdrawing from the quarter with all Ws (I know it looks bad, but I'm hoping they would give me a chance to explain it after the see that I graduated with highest honors and got As in all the classes I retook). I scored a 510 on the MCAT (127/124/131/129).

Experience part:

For experience, I have had a job working with disabled students on my campus. I also have over 140 hours of volunteer experience, about 280 hours of clinical experience (from the COPE internship), and by the time I apply to med schools, I will have worked over a year and a half in a clinical hospital laboratory.

I also started working in a research lab on campus last summer, so by the time I apply, I will have about a year of research experience on hand.

Others (I.e rec letters, personal statements):

I'm planning on getting 5 rec letters (my three main ones are going to be from my manager at the lab, the medical director of the lab, and research lab professor, the other two will probably be from my internship and from my Biochem teacher).
As for my personal statement, I should have a very strong personal statement (I grew up in a war torn country and my father passsed away as a result of the war, and we ended up migrating here).

That's about it. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you in advance and the best of luck to all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Are you URM?
Hey! I am in California, and I don't think I am a URM (I'm from the Middle East, which from my research so far, didn't count as a URM)

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
any new schools that open for 2019 (California University, Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)

Hello everyone, this is one of my very first posts on here, I have been watching and lurking in the shadows...

So after finally getting my MCAT score, I now have a good picture of what my application will look like, and I wanted to get your opinions on how I look as an applicant.

Academics part:
Between community college and UC, I have a cumulative GPA of about 3.6 and a science GPA of 3.52. My GPA has an upward trend (I finished community college with a 3.45 and graduated UC with a 3.95). As far as the science classes go, the only classes that I didn't get an A in are general chemistry. My first quarter in the UC I had some personal troubles, so I ended up withdrawing from the quarter with all Ws (I know it looks bad, but I'm hoping they would give me a chance to explain it after the see that I graduated with highest honors and got As in all the classes I retook). I scored a 510 on the MCAT (127/124/131/129).

Experience part:

For experience, I have had a job working with disabled students on my campus. I also have over 140 hours of volunteer experience, about 280 hours of clinical experience (from the COPE internship), and by the time I apply to med schools, I will have worked over a year and a half in a clinical hospital laboratory.

I also started working in a research lab on campus last summer, so by the time I apply, I will have about a year of research experience on hand.

Others (I.e rec letters, personal statements):

I'm planning on getting 5 rec letters (my three main ones are going to be from my manager at the lab, the medical director of the lab, and research lab professor, the other two will probably be from my internship and from my Biochem teacher).
As for my personal statement, I should have a very strong personal statement (I grew up in a war torn country and my father passsed away as a result of the war, and we ended up migrating here).

That's about it. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Thank you in advance and the best of luck to all of us!
I suggest:
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Mayo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova or LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM is suspect given the details of the Larry Nassar case.
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
NOVA MD
UC Davis
UC Irvine
any new schools that open for 2019 (California University, Kaiser, Roseman, Seton Hall)
Thank you for compiling such a great list! May I ask how you came up with this list (did you use MSAR ? And if so what search criteria lead you to this specific list?) thanks again!

I suggest:
Hofstra
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Mayo
Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova or LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM is suspect given the details of the Larry Nassar case.
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Wow! This list makes me hopeful, it has some really good schools on it :)! May I ask how you came up with it ? Did you use MSAR and if so what search criteria did you use ?

I use MSAR, and pay attention to medias, 10th and 90th %iles, and also IS/OOS ratrions for state schools.

I see. if you dont mind me asking, What search criteria did you put in to get this list ?

I feel like my overall application is good, but what worries me is my average MCAT score and my below average CARS score :nailbiting:

I see. if you dont mind me asking, What search criteria did you put in to get this list ?

I feel like my overall application is good, but what worries me is my average MCAT score and my below average CARS score :nailbiting:
I have looked at every school in MSAR...except maybe the ones in the really lucky states like NM, or SD.

The 10th %iles for VR score overall are a full point lower than Bio or PsychoSocial...that's due to so many people who apply (and get accepted) who are either ESL or 1st gen. Americans.

If someone has to be in the 10th %ile or less, why not you? A 510 is a fine score, so quit fussing.