What are my chances to match PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahpremeds

MD class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step 1- 213
Step 2- will try to aim high

MS3 clinical grades- assume mostly passes, few high passes

1 first author pub -Neuroradiology
1 case study (cardio imaging), poster presentation regarding the same
Normal ECs at school

Geographic preference: NE.
I attend a USMD school.

So, what do ya'll think? Acc to the 2018 match data, I'd have a decent chance of matching even with my low STEP 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1- 213
Step 2- will try to aim high

MS3 clinical grades- assume mostly passes, few high passes

1 first author pub -Neuroradiology
1 case study (cardio imaging), poster presentation regarding the same
Normal ECs at school

Geographic preference: NE.
I attend a USMD school.

So, what do ya'll think? Acc to the 2018 match data, I'd have a decent chance of matching even with my low STEP 1.

I would say you have a chance at matching without much problem. PM&R has gotten more competitive yes, but it's not that competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I know two people with lower scores that matched to UMiami and UCLA this past cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
@dangEras Did those 2 people have any particular areas besides test scores where they did exceptionally well ie research, stellar LORs?

Do better on Step 2, get good LORs, write a good PS, do auditions and do well, apply broadly, and do well on your interviews and you definitely have a chance. I’ve seen people FAIL one of their board exams and still manage to match...though those people typically found a way to compensate for the failure. Just do your best at what you can control and pray about the rest. No chance I’d give up on PM&R if it’s what you want to do.

Board scores are only part of the picture.

I want someone who is passionate about PM&R and who would not only be a great resident, but a great physiatrist.

Lots of experience in another field without a demonstrated commitment to PM&R is a red flag (not saying this about OP).

That being said, low passes or fails are themselves red flags. I know the average scores are on the rise, but I have seen low scores matching at some of the most competitive programs.

Board scores are only part of the picture.

I want someone who is passionate about PM&R and who would not only be a great resident, but a great physiatrist.

Lots of experience in another field without a demonstrated commitment to PM&R is a red flag (not saying this about OP).

That being said, low passes or fails are themselves red flags. I know the average scores are on the rise, but I have seen low scores matching at some of the most competitive programs.
How does one show commitment to PM&R besides research, especially like so many programs dont have one and we learn about the field so late in our training.

How does one show commitment to PM&R besides research, especially like so many programs dont have one and we learn about the field so late in our training.

PM&R is still kind of a "whole picture" type of specialty. Board scores meh are only part of the picture even at larger programs. I wouldn't say research is that essential. I think most programs want to know that people going into PM&R actually know what it is - in the past people would go into it as a back up without any knowledge of the specialty. These days there are far more applicatiosn than spots so having rotations, good letters, maybe some but not significant research, is important. Understanding what the field does, being able to talk about interests in the field make up for a good candidate. its not plastics of Derm or something like that though.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Rotations - at home and/or away.
  • Involvement with AAP / AAPM&R.
  • Shadowing a local physiatrist.
  • School special interest group.

There are lots of ways. It's not always easy, but if you do it, we know you are committed.