What are my chances/ volunteering until May strengthen app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Casper_

Reaction score
I am planning on applying to med school for the first time this cycle. I graduated with my bachelors in May 2022 and took my MCAT at the end of January.
I understand that projected MCAT means nothing but I was scoring an average of 516 on all FLs including 5 and did not feel any different the day of.

Here are my stats:
MCAT: unknown right now
GPA: 3.8x
Clinical Hours:
- MA/scribe in cardiology- 350 hours
- Clinical trial research coordinate - 300 hours (also at the same place in cardiology)
- MA working in allergy PRN, doing SCIT, etc - 140 hours
- Currently a scribe for a group of surgeons - have about 300 and will have 500 by application time
- NO clinical volunteering other than than 80 hours during P1 pharmacy rotation (left pharmacy school after one semester to pursue medicine)
Shadowing
- 60 hours split across ENT, cardiology, and rads
Nonclinical stuff
- tutoring- nonclinical volunteering about 367 hours
- worked as a cashier before pursuing premed and worked as a delivery driver throughout covid.
I am wondering if I should do nonclinical volunteering now that I do not have to study for the MCAT? I can volunteer at a soup kitchen and hit about 75 hours there if I do 5 hours weekly until May?

Looking for some guidance, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Should we presume your sGPA and BCPM are also at 3.8x? Residency will also be important, as would the usual demographics we request on the WAMC template.

You are really lacking in nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring doesn't really count, and your cashier work is employment. Build your soup kitchen work to at least 150 hours.

You will need to address the reason why you dropped out of Pharm school. None of your hours as a P1 will help you.

Should we presume your sGPA and BCPM are also at 3.8x? Residency will also be important, as would the usual demographics we request on the WAMC template.

You are really lacking in nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring doesn't really count, and your cashier work is employment. Build your soup kitchen work to at least 150 hours.

You will need to address the reason why you dropped out of Pharm school. None of your hours as a P1 will help you.
Yes both of those are at 3.8 I live in central MO and am ORM.
Why does tutoring not count? 350 hours of unpaid tutoring high school students through my university wouldn't count?

I understand that the hours as a P1 will not help. I realized I forgot to add my research hours.

I can look for another opportunity but with my current job and hours, I dont think I would be able to get to 150 hours at this soup kitchen but can find something else.
Thanks for your response

Yes both of those are at 3.8 I live in central MO and am ORM.
Why does tutoring not count? 350 hours of unpaid tutoring high school students through my university wouldn't count?

I understand that the hours as a P1 will not help. I realized I forgot to add my research hours.

I can look for another opportunity but with my current job and hours, I dont think I would be able to get to 150 hours at this soup kitchen but can find something else.
Thanks for your response
Tutoring as an activity is on practically every premed application and is thus overvalued by applicants. It also does not fulfill the "service orientation" competency definition by AAMC: demonstrates a desire to alleviate others' distress.