What are my chances with a 7 in VR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnic2693

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what my chances would be at an MD school with my stats.

MCAT: 27
- sub:10/7/10
GPA: 4.0
ECs:
- 100+ hours as emergency room volunteer
- 50 hours volunteering in another hospital
- 100+ hours volunteering in a non clinical position at yet another hospital
- Did research in a lab for 1.5 years -- approximately 150-200 hours
- Tutored students in math and science for 1.5 years -- approximately 200-250 hours
- President of a club
- Peer mentor for freshman students
- Mentor at summer camp for incoming freshman

Long story short, I was averaging about 27-30 on my practice tests. The 7 in VR was a total shock since I averaged about a 9 on my last 8 practice exams. Not very happy with my 7 in VR but just trying to weigh out my options since the mcat is changing and since I'm scheduled to retake a week from now if I decide to not stick with my current score. Basically, will I still be able to get into some MD schools with a 7 in VR or will I be screened out? I am a URM if that helps at all.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First, congrats on the perfect GPA. Your ECs list looks fine as well. However, did you do any shadowing?
Second, with regards to the 7 on the VR. Your chance at DO schools is fine, but pretty low with MD schools. I would say you should try for low-tier MD schools, include some DO schools when you apply with the next cycle. You still have time to retake the test, why not just buckle down and study to improve your MCAT score? I have heard people that got accepted to medical school with at 7 VR, but your scores in other two sections are average, not impressive to offset the 7. Just my two cents and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your reply. I am a Washington state resident and am Mexican American. At this point I am really only looking to go into allopathic medicine (md). The strictly shadowing hours amount to about 40. However the entire time I was "volunteering" in the emergency room I was working directly with nurses and doctors; it was more of an internship than your typical volunteer job.

With regard to retaking...I am scheduled to retake a week from now (it was the only test date I could secure). I would really prefer not to have to take a brand new mcat. I'm just in a bind on whether to retake or not because I almost always scored a 9 in VR. It is my most variable section though so I am nervous to retake.

I can speak Spanish fairly well. Not fluent but definitely sufficient to communicate with just about anyone. I've been involved in a lot of different communities. So each hospital I volunteered at served a specific community. My peer mentoring served my schools freshman community. I can't really think of any other specific communities besides the ones mentioned.

I can speak Spanish fairly well. Not fluent but definitely sufficient to communicate with just about anyone. I've been involved in a lot of different communities. So each hospital I volunteered at served a specific community. My peer mentoring served my schools freshman community. I can't really think of any other specific communities besides the ones mentioned.
You need a really good list. Don't forget U of IL.

Ok. I just began compiling my list. I based it off the MSAR and which schools accepted OOS students who received a 7 or an 8 in the VR section. There were only like 6 schools that reported taking an applicant who had a 7 in any given sub section. Any other advice on how to compile a list, or what schools I should be looking at?

Thank you for your help btw.