What are my chances with my situation

Started by UT8305
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UT8305

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey ppls, realize alot of ppl with low GPA still how a ton of research and other stuff to make up for it and still pplsay they have a slight chance at most. I just wanted to know what you think i should do, wait a year and take some more classes and do research and volunteer work, or should I go ahead and should i take my chances with some caribbean schools. This is the case with me. I have a 3.16 overall gpa (bc i messed around too much in the first 2 years), and, BCPM gpa is 3.28, I took some upper level chemistry courses but did bad in them, bc i was stupid at the time, and now i'm kicking myself. however, I'm doing a patient care technition program and getting certified to be a PCT with a bunch of certifications (such as phebotemy EKG, CPR, CD all that stuff), I'm doing all this while suming up my senior year.

I havn't done any reasearch but have done lots of volunteer work at a hospital and am part of my campus EMS team, done load of other ECT's on campus (not related to med), I'm going to shadow an MD over this summer, and a pharmacist, and am taking the MCAT in august, hoping i do well, can anybody tell me my chances, i know i'm probably not a hot shot for american med schools but how about caribbean med schools? I also plan on working as a PCT during next summer or working the year that i take off to gain some clinical experience (If i end updoing that), I had to retake O-chem once bc I got sick, was in the hospital and the professor wouldn't let me write the final so he gave me a D, retook the class in summer and got a AB. can somebody help me out? Am i a lost cause, what can i do if i take a year off, or should I?
 
I don't think you have a great shot at Allo schools because of your GPA, but your MCAT *could* change that (if you got a 32+). Regardless, if you're really passionate about being a doctor, I suggest you apply to DO schools.