What are my chances with my stats and ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. JCR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
24 yo Asian male
ESLer
Permanent resident
Texas resident
Graduated with a BS in 2015 from a well known Texas university with 3.5 cGPA & sGPA
MCAT 1st:497 (124, 122, 128, 122) Retake: 503 (125, 125, 127, 126)
1.5 years of doing genetics research, no publication, just a undergraduate thesis and symposium presentation
Worked as a waiter (~28 hours/week working dinner shifts) from sophomore year until graduation
300+ hours of hospital volunteer
70 hours total of shadowing 5 doctors in different departments
About 100 hours of non-clinical volunteer
Pretty unique background. Plenty to write about in personal statements.

Right now:
I work as a monitor tech (36 hours/week, 7a-7p) in charge of a central telemetry station located in ICU. I should be getting 2000+ total hours by next May. I monitor ECG and vital signs and help nurses with clerical work and occasionally help them reposition their patients and transport them to different units. Being in ICU there have been some spontaneous shadowing opportunities (art line placement, paracentesis, resuscitation, intubation, etc). The doctors and nurses there are always willing to teach me new things.

I also volunteer for Meals On Wheels 2 hours/week as a driver.

I'm thinking about applying next cycle to med schools in Texas. I havent really thought about applying out of state yet. Perhaps it will be a good idea to apply broadly to DO schools. I know my MCAT is on the low side but I think I did my best..I was pretty happy with 125 on CARS because I still struggle with English somewhat. I think I want to give it a shot with these stats.

I am also thinking about doing an SMP at University of North Texas at the same time (2017-2018). It is supposedly highly regarded by some Texas medical schools.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty good chance at DO schools and some low-mid tier MD schools. Be proud of your CARS score! Scoring a 125 is not easy for someone coming from an ESL background (I'm also ESL so I know your pain). However, I'm concerned when you say you still struggle with English somewhat. Can you elaborate on that? Do you think it will affect your communication skill? If so, it's something that you need to work on before heading to your interviews.
I think doing a SMP is a good idea since your GPA is also on the low side.

I think you have a pretty good chance at DO schools and some low-mid tier MD schools. Be proud of your CARS score! Scoring a 125 is not easy for someone coming from an ESL background (I'm also ESL so I know your pain). However, I'm concerned when you say you still struggle with English somewhat. Can you elaborate on that? Do you think it will affect your communication skill? If so, it's something that you need to work on before heading to your interviews.
I think doing a SMP is a good idea since your GPA is also on the low side.

Thank you so much for your comment!
Oh no I usually have no problem with communication. I work physicians who are much worse lol. I do have a mild accent and I'm a slow reader. I guess I'm setting the bar a little high. I actually ran out of time on CARS and finished the other sections with only a minute or two to spare on my recent MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive some interviews. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Your chances are low for MD schools but it is worth applying to your Texas MD schools.

Apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive some interviews. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Your chances are low for MD schools but it is worth applying to your Texas MD schools.
Thanks!