What are my chances with the Big Four?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

akumar2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Here are my stats/info. I just wanted some feedback about my chances with the Big Four

GPA: Overall: 3.6; Science: 3.3
MCAT: 19; re-took mcat on april 4th so my results will be available in 2 weeks
ECs: I have research, volunteering, and shadowing. In addition, I am part of various organizations (5) and hold board positions in two of them. I also tutor elementary students in reading and writing.
Degree: Biological Sciences with Departmental and University Honors

Thanks!
 
To lock in your chances, join a few more organizations and increase your time tutoring elementary students. Once this is done, the Big Four will be fighting over you. Just wait, you will see, it worked for me and many others.
 
Wait until your MCAT scores come back. You may have a shot at DO schools, possibly even some allopathic ones. Don't consider the big four just yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you end-up scoring 29 or better on the MCAT retake, why not re-apply to U.S. med school?

Just curious.

-Skip
 
Wait until your MCAT scores come back. You may have a shot at DO schools, possibly even some allopathic ones. Don't consider the big four just yet.

What would you say that MCAT score would be to have a shot at DO schools? I've heard ranges from 23-28. On my AAMCs my avg was about a 23.
 
If you can bump your MCAT even just a little I would seriously consider DO schools, if you can squeak in to one of the newer ones you will have a much easier road ahead of you!

Survivor DO
 
UPDATE:

I got my MCAT score back today :/...I got a 20...I'm really upset and I put all my effort into this exam and yet I couldn't pull thru...is there still a chance for me at the Big Four? or should I take the MCAT again (this would be my 4th time)? Any feedback would help!

Thanks!
 
It is possible to do much better on the MCAT. I've seen it a lot on these forums. It all comes down to changing study habits. Invest in a prep course, or even private tutoring.

But to answer your question, I think you could gain acceptance to a big 4 carib school with your current stats.
 
Did you do everything you could to prepare for the MCAT? Did you do practice questions, a prep course, etc...? If not, I would suggest you try one more time, then try applying to US schools. But if you feel you did everything you could to prepare, then I suppose you could consider the Caribbean. But I would really only recommend the Big 4, as they have the best reputation and the best track record for residency matching, and those are the only 4 Caribbean schools that allow graduates to be licensed in all 50 states. SGU might be a bit of a reach for you with your MCAT score, but you could probably get into Ross, AUC, or Saba.
 
Did you do everything you could to prepare for the MCAT? Did you do practice questions, a prep course, etc...? If not, I would suggest you try one more time, then try applying to US schools. But if you feel you did everything you could to prepare, then I suppose you could consider the Caribbean. But I would really only recommend the Big 4, as they have the best reputation and the best track record for residency matching, and those are the only 4 Caribbean schools that allow graduates to be licensed in all 50 states. SGU might be a bit of a reach for you with your MCAT score, but you could probably get into Ross, AUC, or Saba.
As of now, I do not intend to take the MCAT again. I just want to get my MD at any cost, even if it means I need to work 100x harder in medical school. My parents are really worried and I feel like it is my best interest to go about applying to the Caribbean medical schools. Do you think it would be too late to be considered for the fall? Also, how quick is SABA/AUC/ROSS in terms of the whole application process?

ie. Suppose I submit my application by the end of this week. Would I get an answer before summer ends? Or could I get lucky know in a month or two?
 
As of now, I do not intend to take the MCAT again. I just want to get my MD at any cost, even if it means I need to work 100x harder in medical school. My parents are really worried and I feel like it is my best interest to go about applying to the Caribbean medical schools. Do you think it would be too late to be considered for the fall? Also, how quick is SABA/AUC/ROSS in terms of the whole application process?

ie. Suppose I submit my application by the end of this week. Would I get an answer before summer ends? Or could I get lucky know in a month or two?

I went to SGU, so I'm not sure how quick the process is for AUC, Saba, or Ross. If you submit your application now, you might be considered for the fall term at SGU, which, I believe, begins in September. Remember to study extra hard for the USMLE. If you didn't get a good score on the MCAT, you'll have to work harder to make a good showing on the USMLE. And it is critical for a Caribbean student to achieve a good score on Step 1.
 
I went to SGU, so I'm not sure how quick the process is for AUC, Saba, or Ross. If you submit your application now, you might be considered for the fall term at SGU, which, I believe, begins in September. Remember to study extra hard for the USMLE. If you didn't get a good score on the MCAT, you'll have to work harder to make a good showing on the USMLE. And it is critical for a Caribbean student to achieve a good score on Step 1.
Ok I see, thanks for the input! Do you mind if you could share some information? Where are you doing your rotations/have done your rotations? What are you planning on specializing/what are you specializing in?

I hope you don't mind the questions because that is one my parent's fears about me going to the Caribbean's because I heard it is hard to get back into the US for rotations and getting a good match.
 
Arguably the best aspect about SGU/Ross (I am not educated on any other carib school) is that there are many hospital affiliations across the U.S. where students do their 3rd/4th yr rotations. This allows you to make contacts and possibly return for a residency. Moreover, these schools have, over the years, established relationships with many teaching hospitals across the country, and these hospitals have become regular facilities for taking on carib grads as residents.

Try your hardest for SGU. Speak to admissions and set up a meeting. Try to explain your MCAT experience if you'd like. You have good GPA's, which will help you. If you don't get into SGU, then Ross is likely your next best bet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok I see, thanks for the input! Do you mind if you could share some information? Where are you doing your rotations/have done your rotations? What are you planning on specializing/what are you specializing in?

I hope you don't mind the questions because that is one my parent's fears about me going to the Caribbean's because I heard it is hard to get back into the US for rotations and getting a good match.

Yes, this is why I strongly encourage prospective med students to try their hardest to get into a US med school before considering the Caribbean. In fact, I usually encourage them to apply to US schools twice before considering the Caribbean. The big 4 schools will provide a pretty good education, but its harder to land a residency. That said, the big 4, in particular SGU, do have pretty decent match lists compared to the other Caribbean schools, though nowhere near that of US schools. You probably won't be getting derm or ENT, but there are grads who manage to get into fields besides primary care and psych. I know some who got into EM, general surgery, OB/Gyn, or anesthesiology. I graduated from SGU in 2006 and am now practicing as an internist, planning to apply for fellowship in nephro, or maybe GI. I did my clinicals in New Jersey and New York, and my residency in Queens.
 
[I]Why do you people underestimate the caribbean med schools? as someone from the caribbean i am offended but then again you put down and underestimate every school thats not harvard. I am just saying stop undermining the caribbean schools! they have great professors like all us schools. Student who drop out,and they have sucess stories too. better yet WHEN YOU DON"T GET INTO US SCHOOLS DON"T APPLY TO OURS![/I]

This is what i want to yell but i will say there is a difference between wanting to help people, and wanting medicine

Um, nobody is underestimating caribbean med schools. Yes, some of them are good schools, like the big 4, and maybe AUA or SMU or MUA-Nevis. But the fact is that residency programs in the US are going to have a preference for AMGs, and this is why applicants are encouraged to try their hardest to get into a US school before considering the Caribbean. The good Caribbean schools, like SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba, will provide a good education, and decent residency placement, but grads from those schools probably won't be getting the most competitive residencies like derm or plastics, if that is their dream. Even for the less competitive residencies, grads from the Caribbean will still have to work harder than their US counterparts to get them.
 
Hey guys,

Here are my stats/info. I just wanted some feedback about my chances with the Big Four

GPA: Overall: 3.6; Science: 3.3
MCAT: 19; re-took mcat on april 4th so my results will be available in 2 weeks
ECs: I have research, volunteering, and shadowing. In addition, I am part of various organizations (5) and hold board positions in two of them. I also tutor elementary students in reading and writing.
Degree: Biological Sciences with Departmental and University Honors

Thanks!
Hi,
I was in the same situation as you, four years ago when I was trying to apply to medical school. I did get accepted into AUA medical school which is based in Antigua. And then because of financial issues I had to transfer to SMU which is in cayman islands. I am not trying to discourage you but I feel like if I could take it back I would've just try to retake the MCAT or tried to apply to post-bacc programs.

The downfalls of the schools are they are accelerate so instead of learning a subject throughout a year like in US medical schools it is only in 3 mths time. So it is very stressful!! Another drawback is that at least with these medical schools they did not have loans; so it is extremely rough to pay for it. When I was at SMU, I did a online MBA courses in order to receive some money...but even with that they cap the amount of money you can loan!!!

As of right now I am back in the US trying to retake my MCAT and preparing to apply to post-bacc programs. So I feel like even though I was upset that I couldn't finish at any of those schools, I am still fighting. I guess all I am trying to say is keep trying even if you have to wait a year!!!
 
Wait until your MCAT scores come back. You may have a shot at DO schools, possibly even some allopathic ones. Don't consider the big four just yet.

This. Even if you suffer a brain aneurysm and get a 23 on the MCAT, you'll be able to get into just about any SMP you want. And a 3.6 is a good indicator that you can study hard enough to succeed in an SMP. Get a 30, and you'll be able to get a direct admission into mid and low tier MD schools. It only goes up from there, depending on what other ECs you add to your resume before you start interviewing.
 
As of now, I do not intend to take the MCAT again. I just want to get my MD at any cost, even if it means I need to work 100x harder in medical school. My parents are really worried and I feel like it is my best interest to go about applying to the Caribbean medical schools. Do you think it would be too late to be considered for the fall? Also, how quick is SABA/AUC/ROSS in terms of the whole application process?

ie. Suppose I submit my application by the end of this week. Would I get an answer before summer ends? Or could I get lucky know in a month or two?

I'm going to be honest and say that this is a horrible, horrible idea. Heading to the Caribbean to please your parents is wrong on so many levels. They should be MORE nervous if you head offshore. As an IMG, it'll be harder to pass the boards, get into a semi-competitive residency, and even obtain a license in your desired state. Any honest IMG from the Caribbean would tell you the same. Especially considering you have a better GPA than almost everyone heading offshore. Second, if you can't study well enough to get a decent MCAT score, you don't stand a chance at doing well on the USMLE Step 1. So not only will you be an IMG, you'll be an IMG with (at best) average board scores, which will effectively limit you to the lowest-paying specialties in the worst parts of the country. Learn how to study better, retake the MCAT, and apply here.
 
I don' t have much advice on what your chances are, but... I recently applied to SGU and was accepted. I know you're concerned about the timeline, and I can summarize what my timeline was like and explain a little bit about my situation. I hope you will find this information helpful.

I am a non-traditional applicant. I applied to medical school for the first time in 2012. I failed to matriculate to any schools with my AMCAS application. Instead of waiting another year for another AMCAS/AACOMAS cycle, I briefly considered going to the Caribbean route because I am so ready for my medical career to begin. I spoke to one of my co-workers who is a EM physician, and he praised SGU and his experiences there. I submitted my application on a Friday night in late March, and I began communicating with one of their admissions staff before the next week was over. I was granted an interview in less than two weeks, and because of my busy work schedule, I could not make the interview until mid April. I was given acceptance about 2 weeks after my interview. The entire process was very fast, and everyone involved was incredibly nice and accommodating.

I decided that the most prudent choice would be to wait for another US admissions cycle. I plan to apply DO and MD this time, and I am definitely submitting early. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do decide. Plenty of others already mentioned the difficulty of the match. SGU has a pretty competitive matching rate. The interviewer I met with went to SGU and completed a pathology residency at her top choice school. She's now completing a 1-year fellowship at that school. She interviewed at a couple of dozen places for path. It wasn't the easiest being an IMG since she wanted to pursue a more competitive specialty, but she was smart about the process and was persistent. In the end, she got where she wanted. She assured me that SGU's basic science years involve some of the best lecturers in the world and there are many resources on the island.
 
Hey guys,

I really appreciate the input from many of you. I had a couple days to think about my decision and I will go about and re-take my MCAT. My parents are supportive of this decision (after a lot of convincing) and I feel that is the best option! I'm not here to insult any Caribbean School, I just wanted to gauge my chances and see what was best for me. Long term wise, sticking to a school in the US is beneficial and have a better chance of getting matched to what I want. Again, thanks for your opinions and good luck!!
 
Hey guys,

I really appreciate the input from many of you. I had a couple days to think about my decision and I will go about and re-take my MCAT. My parents are supportive of this decision (after a lot of convincing) and I feel that is the best option! I'm not here to insult any Caribbean School, I just wanted to gauge my chances and see what was best for me. Long term wise, sticking to a school in the US is beneficial and have a better chance of getting matched to what I want. Again, thanks for your opinions and good luck!!

Great idea! Do whatever you can to get into a US school. If you have to do a prep course for the MCAT, do it! Do an SMP if you have to. If, after an improved MCAT score and two application attempts, you still haven't gotten into a US school, then its time to consider the Caribbean.