• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

nooek8

2+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello! Very common question, but I'm trying to get all the help I can get! I'm currently a junior at Pitt planning on applying the upcoming cycle.

Major: Natural Sciences, Minor: Spanish
GPAs: 3.4 oGPA and 3.3 sGPA
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Some important EC:
~250 hrs of dental assisting
Eboard position for dental club on campus since freshman yr, now the VP
Over 200 hrs of volunteering through a free dental clinic and various campus events with my sorority
~60 hours of shadowing 2 general dentists
~85 hrs of research at Pitt's dental school for a semester (planned on continuing but found it hard to balance my new job and other EC activities during the time)

LORs: My strongest will be from the dentist I currently work for and maybe my ochem professor, but I'm a bit nervous about any other ones because I'm having a hard time finding professors who really got to know me.

Some schools I'm interested in (I'm a PA resident):
Pitt, Temple, Upenn, Tufts, Howard, Case Western, Boston, Maryland, NYU

I know my GPA isn't great, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my application as a whole and if I'm applying to the right schools! Thanks :)

AppalachianDentalBoy

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I'd up the shadowing hours and apply to a few more schools. You should do fine.

Reactions: 1 user

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
Hello! Very common question, but I'm trying to get all the help I can get! I'm currently a junior at Pitt planning on applying the upcoming cycle.

Major: Natural Sciences, Minor: Spanish
GPAs: 3.4 oGPA and 3.3 sGPA
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Some important EC:
~250 hrs of dental assisting
Eboard position for dental club on campus since freshman yr, now the VP
Over 200 hrs of volunteering through a free dental clinic and various campus events with my sorority
~60 hours of shadowing 2 general dentists
~85 hrs of research at Pitt's dental school for a semester (planned on continuing but found it hard to balance my new job and other EC activities during the time)

LORs: My strongest will be from the dentist I currently work for and maybe my ochem professor, but I'm a bit nervous about any other ones because I'm having a hard time finding professors who really got to know me.

Some schools I'm interested in (I'm a PA resident):
Pitt, Temple, Upenn, Tufts, Howard, Case Western, Boston, Maryland, NYU

I know my GPA isn't great, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my application as a whole and if I'm applying to the right schools! Thanks :)

are you URM?

About the Ads

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
You should take Howard off then
correct

you should also carefully select a wider range of schools to apply to
and increase your number of shadowing hours (or count the volunteering hours at the free clinic as shadowing)

AppalachianDentalBoy

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If your whole personal statement is about how your future practice will be helping minorities attain dental work and how you tried all four years to quell inequality I’d keep the Howard. Otherwise save that bread.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.